• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch smith to work on rep sub??

Rlm416

Horology Curious
13/5/20
Mate, no need to get flustered and defensive.
The written word can be easily misunderstood. Noone is here to get you. And everyone is entitled to their opinion.

First, where are you based? Are you looking for a physical location, are you ok with shipping your watch for repairs, will you trust a member who can swap a movement, is your country custom risk, what watch is it etc etc..

There is a lot of context missing for anyone to provide concrete immediate help, beyond sending you to the watchmaker section...whcih was already done post#2

as for "contributing", turn this event into an opportunity. After your watch is repaired, make your experience available. Maybe there is someone else in your exact same situation ( or will be tmrw) and maybe that person is hesitant to ask the question

Finally, as you are highly experienced in forum software, you already know it's a bad idea to antagonise a Mod.
Thanks for the reply, I just didn’t realize the impact of not sharing my experience on here and will not make the mistake again. I’m in the states, and yes I was asking about watch makers with the intent to send it off to someone and was merely looking for reputable and trustworthy places to do so. I did try to search here for watch makers and (I’m guessing by your comment about being highly experienced in forum softwares) you can see I came up empty.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
Thanks for the reply, I just didn’t realize the impact of not sharing my experience on here and will not make the mistake again. I’m in the states, and yes I was asking about watch makers with the intent to send it off to someone and was merely looking for reputable and trustworthy places to do so. I did try to search here for watch makers and (I’m guessing by your comment about being highly experienced in forum softwares) you can see I came up empty.
all good. check the post #2
There are quite a few US based watchsmiths with great reputation.
My advice, don't skimp on the shipping. Just work with them, and while you are at it, get a full service on the movement. If you like the watch, it's worth it.

ps: advice 2. No need to "win" an online argument. Nothing good comes out of a flamewar. Just recently, a long standing member got banned because he got into a stupid spiral of bickering with increasingly racist statements

Reactions: Rlm416

Rlm416

Horology Curious
13/5/20
all good. check the post #2
There are quite a few US based watchsmiths with great reputation.
My advice, don't skimp on the shipping. Just work with them, and while you are at it, get a full service on the movement. If you like the watch, it's worth it.

ps: advice 2. No need to "win" an online argument. Nothing good comes out of a flamewar. Just recently, a long standing member got banned because he got into a stupid spiral of bickering with increasingly racist statements
Yes I reached out to a couple. Thanks for the help!

replicated69

Horology Curious
23/7/15
Some watch smith that has a shop, doing watch repairs on automatic or cheap watches, could ask in discreet do they offer service on rep watches, some don't mind really. Simple service, date wheel adjust, not running. A7750 movement is difficult though, not because of difficulty in repair but the availibilty of the parts.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Come on guys, what the hell is going on?

Our goal isn't to pick apart every post and try to call people out for whatever we can find. We exist so people can ask questions, even if it seems obvious to you or it's been asked 4000 times. If you dont want to answer their question, move on. @BMW760 helped by posting the forum where watchsmiths can be found, there is no need to peel back the layers of this onion any further.

Everyone has got to pull their heads in and stop with this crap. It's getting old.

Reactions: oceaon and Karbon74

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
It shouldn't be all about money and anyone who is a bit familiar with running such sites will know that the monthly cost is no more than $100 USD.

It is a far cry from $100. This is an outlandish statement. You simply don't know our expenses. Please don't assume like this.

Reactions: Feefo

0day

0xbadf00d
1/8/23
Netherlands
It is a far cry from $100. This is an outlandish statement. You simply don't know our expenses. Please don't assume like this.
No offense Sir, I deliberately did not respond to the other posts, because such a thing only ends in dispute but, let this be my last post here on this thread (or forum, that's up to you if you think I was disrespectful or insolent with the things I've said and say).

I mentioned in one of my posts that if the cost reached or exceeded $100 USD monthly, I would fire my webmaster.
This is due to the fact that this complete web presence should not cost more than 50 euros per month. Anything above that can only come about because someone hasn't looked at cheaper alternatives, or ultimately has no idea what the webmaster/hosting-market looks like. (This is not an accusation or assumption, and it's also nothing which I refer to you! - It's a pity that I have to mention this at all because of the previous discussions which I had in this topic, but as I said, I'm not directly referring to you).

I was just saying that if the monthly cost reaches or exceeds $100 USD, it is a waste of money.
It is not my opinion, but a fact. There are warez sites that host terabytes of data, which even use offshore hosting providers and pay less than 100 USD per month.

These sites have to deal with strong DDoS attacks, which Cloudflare alone can't even handle, unless you pay huge amounts for their biggest plans. Such operators bypass this completely by having a flawless configuration of their firewall. And wham! Several thousands of dollars saved.

Although you might take this personally, to me the price of over $100 USD is very unrealistic. Unless, as mentioned above, you haven't looked into alternatives or don't know much about web mastering or the hosting market.

Rlm416

Horology Curious
13/5/20
Some watch smith that has a shop, doing watch repairs on automatic or cheap watches, could ask in discreet do they offer service on rep watches, some don't mind really. Simple service, date wheel adjust, not running. A7750 movement is difficult though, not because of difficulty in repair but the availibilty of the parts.
I found a local guy that is going to fix it. Movement is the eta 2824-2 which I’m told is pretty common and easy to fix.