• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch smith to work on rep sub??

Rlm416

Horology Curious
13/5/20
I have a rep sub I bought through this forum about 3 years ago, it’s got an eta 2824-2 movement swapped in because it was “more reliable” and the movement has stopped working. Does anyone work on watch movements here that can help???

Reactions: Windwatch

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
Also... If you don't mind me asking: your account seems to have only one post. So how did you buy a rep on this forum if you've never posted here (with this account)?

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
Also... If you don't mind me asking: your account seems to have only one post. So how did you buy a rep on this forum if you've never posted here (with this account)?
You can be a guest and get the TD's contact information because it isn't hidden for just members. Even if it was hidden for just members they don't have to post a message to use the TD's.

evilgenius88

Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
You can be a guest and get the TD's contact information because it isn't hidden for just members. Even if it was hidden for just members they don't have to post a message to use the TD's.
True. But then I wouldn't call it "through this forum" - when I read those words, I assume an M2M sale.

Because if finding contact info on = buying something through, then I've bought my car and house through Google. ;)

Last edited:

evilgenius88

Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
You can PM a member while having zero posts.
I know I should let this slide, but I'm in a wilful / troll-y mood, so here we go:

Yes, you can. Although... Then you're a bit naughty and not abiding by the strongly suggested rules of stating things like "funds sent" when buying something, to prevent scammers collecting payments for multiple people for the same product.

Anyhow. Last post from me here. What I found weird about the OP is that they have literally invested ZERO in this community, yet want someone from the community to find them a watchmaker. (And apparently they also can't find the search bar). Not a fan.

Jeff Ward No GIF by ABC Network

asusundevils1971

Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
What I found weird about the OP is that they have literally invested ZERO in this community, yet want someone from the community to find them a watchmaker. (And apparently they also can't find the search bar). Not a fan
Yes, being a member here for over three years and their first post is to ask for help isn't very promising. They had no problem using the forum to find a TD / M2M to purchase a watch so they should be able to find the tech section to find a watchmaker to help with their problem. And I agree with you about not contributing to the community but they want / expect the community to contribute to their problem.

Reactions: evilgenius88

0day

0xbadf00d
1/8/23
Netherlands
Yes, being a member here for over three years and their first post is to ask for help isn't very promising. They had no problem using the forum to find a TD / M2M to purchase a watch so they should be able to find the tech section to find a watchmaker to help with their problem. And I agree with you about not contributing to the community but they want / expect the community to contribute to their problem.
Registration in the forum is free of charge.
This means that we should support new members with their questions, even if they never come online again afterwards.
This is the concept of forums, whether you like it or not.

If you do not want to continue to provide ungrateful people with any information, the registration must be provided with a paywall or people must have an active subscription on the forum to access/see certain areas.

It shouldn't be all about money and anyone who is a bit familiar with running such sites will know that the monthly cost is no more than $100 USD.
My old forum (5000 daily active members) cost me only 35 USD a month. (Selfhosted + DDoS protection included)

0day

0xbadf00d
1/8/23
Netherlands
I'm not able to edit my first post, so I gotta double-post (very sorry!):
I really like this forum and its members, but it's starting to occur to me that "contributing" means forking over money. What about all the information users share here on the forum for free with everyone? Is that not a contribution in your opinion?

asusundevils1971

Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
This means that we should support new members with their questions, even if they never come online again afterwards.
This is the concept of forums, whether you like it or not
Yes registration is free and the OP has been a member here for over three years and had no problem finding a place on here to purchase a watch with no help from any member. So they know how to navigate through the site and can find the tech section and a watchmaker.

This forum supports new members with open arms as @eBoy and @Feefo give them a welcome greeting with a few links to help get them familiar with the forum. Also they make sure to mention that if they need any further assistance to get in touch with either one.

Most new members don't take the time to do some reading as there is a wealth of knowledge just at their fingertips that will answer any questions they may have.

Reactions: eBoy

asusundevils1971

Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
I really like this forum and its members, but it's starting to occur to me that "contributing" means forking over money. What about all the information users share here on the forum for free with everyone? Is that not a contribution in your opinion
This forum is amazing and glad I lucked into it six months ago. No "contributing" means you help your fellow members with information that you think / know might help them with their question (s). As for the money as you are referring too.... This site isn't free to maintain and and to help with that cost they have set up a membership with different levels. They don/t force you to become a member!!!!. I don't know how many people in background work on this site and I am not sure how many mods this site has but I do know that they don't get paid for the work they do to keep this site safe for the members.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia

You got that wrong. Like, utterly wrong.

That's exactly the opposite of what the definition of the term "forum" is:

Screenshot-20230817-153350-Free-Adblocker-Browser.jpg

The emphasis here is on the words "exchange" and "discuss".

Someone popping up here to only tap the veteran members' knowledge and then disappearing to never be seen again is hardly and "exchange of ideas". And an exchange is a bi-directional process, not a one-way street.

It's especially a disrespectful practice, and thus frowned upon by the community, because most of what is typically asked by users like this was already answered and stored somewhere in our database, but it would require a little bit of reading and pro-active work.

0day

0xbadf00d
1/8/23
Netherlands
@asusundevils1971
I didn't mean to start a discussion with my post, and I won't go into too much detail about your new post, as it gets way too off-topic.
However, I would ask you to read my post again completely and to make fewer assumptions on my part. You have taken some things wrong. Gladly we can discuss privately if you like.

@eBoy
A definition often does not reflect reality.
As a side note, I am a former developer of one of the largest forum software there is. (Can I prove to you privately, gladly ! - Since talk is cheap)
With this I want to say that I know the principle of a forum very well and my statements are not taken out of the air.

It's especially a disrespectful practice, and thus frowned upon by the community, because most of what is typically asked by users like this was already answered and stored somewhere in our database, but it would require a little bit of reading and pro-active work.
It is definitely a disrespectful practice. But still, that's how it is and if people don't like it, they have to do something about it.
I feel like you guys took my post way too personally or as some sort of criticism of the forum. But it is not.

My broad point is this:
- The monthly cost thing is being exaggerated in some mouths (Maybe the costs are really high, but then I would fire my webmaster immediately, because that's not possible for such a website, it's just really not.. except you have extra high-end specs which your website will never need)
- I see far too often posts where you get the understanding that you don't contribute until you also have a rank/subscription here on the forum. (I did not say that the forum or its operators do/say this)

I have nothing against monetization, and certainly not with monetization that has a useful purpose behind it.

Rlm416

Horology Curious
13/5/20
Ok forgive me for not putting in a bunch of time on here, I joined a little over 3 years ago, found BK’s emporium, sent them a private message and bought a watch via email. Then when it arrived I didn’t really have the need to post anything further but I guess that’s the whole point of this site is to HELP other people make good decisions to HELP them acquire a nice piece for themselves. I will put in a little more leg work and try to find someone on my own, it’s not like I’m trying to get someone to fix my watch for free I do have a job and can pay for it! I was just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Apologize if I don’t know how to navigate this site very well!!

Rlm416

Horology Curious
13/5/20
I know I should let this slide, but I'm in a wilful / troll-y mood, so here we go:

Yes, you can. Although... Then you're a bit naughty and not abiding by the strongly suggested rules of stating things like "funds sent" when buying something, to prevent scammers collecting payments for multiple people for the same product.

Anyhow. Last post from me here. What I found weird about the OP is that they have literally invested ZERO in this community, yet want someone from the community to find them a watchmaker. (And apparently they also can't find the search bar). Not a fan.

Jeff Ward No GIF by ABC Network
With the amount of time you spent typing both replies, you could’ve sent 49 different names of watchsmiths.

asusundevils1971

Supporter
23/2/23
Canada

If you do not want to continue to provide ungrateful people with any information, the registration must be provided with a paywall or people must have an active subscription on the forum to access/see certain areas.
Don't know how I could take " support new members" wrong. I addressed that if you read my post. Membership is FREE and to make people pay for " registration must be provided with a paywall or people must have an active subscription on the forum to access / see certain areas " isn't what this forum is about. It is about people from around the world who love watches and like to discuss them with like minded people.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
Mate, no need to get flustered and defensive.
The written word can be easily misunderstood. Noone is here to get you. And everyone is entitled to their opinion.

First, where are you based? Are you looking for a physical location, are you ok with shipping your watch for repairs, will you trust a member who can swap a movement, is your country custom risk, what watch is it etc etc..

There is a lot of context missing for anyone to provide concrete immediate help, beyond sending you to the watchmaker section...whcih was already done post#2

as for "contributing", turn this event into an opportunity. After your watch is repaired, make your experience available. Maybe there is someone else in your exact same situation ( or will be tmrw) and maybe that person is hesitant to ask the question

Finally, as you are highly experienced in forum software, you already know it's a bad idea to antagonise a Mod.

• Haha
Reactions: 0day

asusundevils1971

Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
With the amount of time you spent typing both replies, you could’ve sent 49 different names of watchsmiths.
And with the time it took to start this thread and to respond to a post you could have found your own watchsmith by doing a little searching on here. There it took me less then a minute.

• Haha
Reactions: Karbon74