• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

watch bros, please help! I bought the "bootleg of the bootleg watch" can it be saved? Can I add RADIOACTIVE Lume tubes to it?

erockz

Known Member
7/4/21
disclaimer I bought this from an UN-Trusted Dealer. Its basically a "bootleg of the bootleg watch" because the silver version is suppose to have a black dial and not a white dial.

what I want to do is color the outside edges rose gold like the gen and also this little piece of metal inside. But since its hard to get, Im worried they might break it or, since its a cheap chinese version, springs and stuff might start flying out and break everything.

also, I was thinking of adding radio active lume tubes to the roman numerals, I dont want to open up the watch all the time so I was wondering if this can all be done in 1 day, Plate it rose gold and add the radio active tritium tubes. if not can the roman numerals be plated in rose gold?

I can live without the radio active tubes, but I diffidently want to try to make the look like a gen or at least like this down bellow. does the watch have to be taken appart for the other edge to be rose gold?

Is there a specific kind of rose gold I should ask for? Will it take 1 week for the gold to dry or will it just take a couple of hours and can the jewlry shop do it or do they need to ship it out to plate it rose gold?

how much should the gold plating cost of they need to rip the watch apart to get to the metal piece inside?

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Ok. I'll play.
"what I want to do is color the outside edges rose gold like the gen and also this little piece of metal inside. But since its hard to get, Im worried they might break it or, since its a cheap chinese version, springs and stuff might start flying out and break everything."

That piece of metal is called the balance bridge. The person you choose to plate the darned thing would also have to be a watchmaker as he would have to take off the bridge and remove the spring from the bridge. Should the person not f*ck that up and cause you to lose the whole watch cuz you cannot get extra parts for it, then they would be have to re-attach the balance to it and make sure they didn't mess anything off.

"also, I was thinking of adding radio active lume tubes to the roman numerals, I dont want to open up the watch all the time so I was wondering if this can all be done in 1 day, Plate it rose gold and add the radio active tritium tubes. if not can the roman numerals be plated in rose gold?

I can live without the radio active tubes, but I diffidently want to try to make the look like a gen or at least like this down bellow. does the watch have to be taken appart for the other edge to be rose gold?"

Radioactive tubes.... This is where I think you have a problem and I am not going to indulge there for the sake of everyone reading this.

Is there a specific kind of rose gold I should ask for? Will it take 1 week for the gold to dry or will it just take a couple of hours and can the jewlry shop do it or do they need to ship it out to plate it rose gold?

how much should the gold plating cost of they need to rip the watch apart to get to the metal piece inside?

I would suggest going on youtube and seeing what and how plating is done. It doesn't take a week to dry, you're not painting it on.

No one here could even estimate how much this would cost and I am close to certain that this has never been attempted before.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I don't get it.

erockz

Known Member
7/4/21
Ok. I'll play.

That piece of metal is called the balance bridge. The person you choose to plate the darned thing would also have to be a watchmaker as he would have to take off the bridge and remove the spring from the bridge. Should the person not f*ck that up and cause you to lose the whole watch cuz you cannot get extra parts for it, then they would be have to re-attach the balance to it and make sure they didn't mess anything off.

Radioactive tubes.... This is where I think you have a problem and I am not going to indulge there for the sake of everyone reading this.

I would suggest going on youtube and seeing what and how plating is done. It doesn't take a week to dry, you're not painting it on.

No one here could even estimate how much this would cost and I am close to certain that this has never been attempted before.
so I was correct, everything will break...damn it.

these are the radio active tubes

better then lume.... but if someone cant even plate the watch without breaking all the springs, I doubt I can get it tubbed

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
I know what they are. You won't find anyone but a big watch company with good liability insurance to deal with radioactive isotopes.

Just enjoy the watch as is.

Art Vandelay

Certified
21/3/23
Where the buffalo roam
Glow Episode 5 GIF by The Simpsons

erockz

Known Member
7/4/21
I know what they are. You won't find anyone but a big watch company with good liability insurance to deal with radioactive isotopes.

Just enjoy the watch as is.
yes beggards cant be choosers at this point its the only one I could find.

what about ordering "spare parts" ?

Since its a hard to get watch, maybe if god forbid the movement breaks, that might be a good time to change the look and plate it. Where can I find movements and parts for this? so I can have a back up?

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
yes beggards cant be choosers at this point its the only one I could find.

what about ordering "spare parts" ?

Since its a hard to get watch, maybe if god forbid the movement breaks, that might be a good time to change the look and plate it. Where can I find movements and parts for this? so I can have a back up?
Ask the dealer that sold it to you I guess but good luck with that on its own. You're hiking up a mountain that has no path of return.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I can live without the radio active tubes, but I diffidently want to try to make the look like a gen or at least like this down bellow. does the watch have to be taken appart for the other edge to be rose gold?
I think we all should live better without radioactive tubes.
How about I recommend you try modern, safe, non-cancer causing super lume instead?

Reactions: Autobús

Winni1611

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
15/10/22
Germany

erockz

Known Member
7/4/21
I am having a hard time finding a 24 MM metal mesh watch strap with the curved ends.

where can I get one that fit the watch, all the ones on amazon have straight ends and this leather watch strap is screaming GRANDPA