• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Want a chrono QUARTZ!

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I think it's 1/10th on the gen but that doesn't have anything to do with sweeping. It will tick because it's quartz. The gen ticks because it's quartz. Now what the exact VPH of that watch is I don't know but it ticks because it's quartz, And until someone invents a Quartz Turducken movment with an auto mdoule stuffed in the center it will always be that way.

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
fakemaster said:
I think it's 1/10th on the gen but that doesn't have anything to do with sweeping. It will tick because it's quartz. The gen ticks because it's quartz. Now what the exact VPH of that watch is I don't know but it ticks because it's quartz, And until someone invents a Quartz Turducken movment with an auto mdoule stuffed in the center it will always be that way.

Ok then, let me rephrase my question. Are there any quartz movements for the rep market that have a centrum second chrono hand that moves in 1/10th (or so) of a second increments giving a "sweeping" impression of the hand, although it is of course ticking?

(Unlike a 28k8 automatic movement that moves the second hand in 1/8th of a second increments but really sweeps?)

Xplodr

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Two points. First there always seems to be confusion on this. All watches including autos tick. The difference is due to the VPH. On an auto the second hand vbrates more times per second so it gives the illusion it is sweeping. The same thing could be done with a quartz. But they use batteries. The energy required to generate that VPH would have you changing batteries every other month. With an auto it doesn't matter.

Now regarding the quartz. In short the answer is yes because there are no rep quartz movements. You can buy anything you want including the same one that Tag uses if you so desire. Now that doesn't mean the hands will fit or it will line up with the dial. Hell it may not even fit in the case. It is a rep we're talking about. You may have to buy a bunch of parts and figure out what works. But that's what modding is all about. In this case I wouldn't mess with it but to each his own.

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
fakemaster said:
Two points. First there always seems to be confusion on this. All watches including autos tick. The difference is due to the VPH. On an auto the second hand vbrates more times per second so it gives the illusion it is sweeping. The same thing could be done with a quartz. But they use batteries. The energy required to generate that VPH would have you changing batteries every other month. With an auto it doesn't matter.

Yes, and that is why the constantly running second hand in these particular quartz watches we are referring to do not "sweep" (or whatever we should call it), but the chrono second hand does since it is not running all the time (which would consume the battery).

fakemaster said:
Now regarding the quartz. In short the answer is yes because there are no rep quartz movements. You can buy anything you want including the same one that Tag uses if you so desire. Now that doesn't mean the hands will fit or it will line up with the dial. Hell it may not even fit in the case. It is a rep we're talking about. You may have to buy a bunch of parts and figure out what works. But that's what modding is all about. In this case I wouldn't mess with it but to each his own.

Ok, I rephrase my question again. Has anybody of you on the forum seen any out-of the-box quartz reps that use this feature?

Xplodr

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Yes based on what Exploder said you should get that one. Don't forget to post pictures.

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
fakemaster said:
Yes based on what Exploder said you should get that one. Don't forget to post pictures.

Yes, pics and a movie! (I don't believe that until I see it filmed by an objective source.)

Xplodr

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Objective source. That was funny. My objective source is the three Formulas in my watch box.

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
fakemaster said:
Objective source. That was funny. My objective source is the three Formulas in my watch box.

Ok. I am sorry but English is not my mother tongue so I do not really get the fun part. You mean that there are no such reps that rip8 is asking about because the three you have in your watch box do not have a "sweeping" centrum chrono second hand?

Xplodr