• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF VS3135 Submariner Comparison Against the Gen

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU
I have R factory. My point is if I buy a £300 Seiko, the sel link won’t fail, the tube won’t unscrew with the crown, the parts that hold it together will be of a standard that in a $500 Rolex rep is more like a $100 watch. (Some, not all).

You’re comparing the infrastructure, resources and ISO 9000 facilities of the Seiko group which had revenues of 220 Billion Yen in 2020 to illegal backroad make shift “factories”.

Perhaps stick to Seiko in the future then?

Reactions: leo6929 and 2841

arpa90

2/11/18
My point is if I buy a £300 Seiko, the sel link won’t fail
It really depends. I have had a BP SeaDweller for almost 2 years now. During this time it was and still is my daily watch. By this forums standard its fairly inexpensive. And its still holding up really well. No issues whatsoever. My point is that most reps will hold up well over time. But you can still get a dud. Though this goes for gen ones too.

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹
Too right.. I think I would pay more for the same rep with the build quality of a decent watch.

I think most of the times we forget under the circumstances these watches are made, price tag aside you can't really compare any rep to a seiko. Im always impressed by how reliable vsf movements and finishing are despite not working in the best condition (hiding from authorities and so on.) I personally think that considering all the variables in the manufacturing process they have delivered an excellent rep and for the price you can't really complain. They have nailed the case and cw so I can live with a 1mm misaligned Rehaut, that's only visible from certain angles on the wrists.

Also big props to vsf for start fixing flaws mid production instead of releasing 20 version of the same watch like noob.

Reactions: Tete

sfbatman787

Renowned Member
Certified
17/4/17
Just got mine and compared it to my gen hulk.

Here are my findings:

- Dial markers are amazing
- Center hole is bigger than gen, hence the dimple is more visible but it is hard to notice unless looking with a loupe
- Hands are definitely nice but still have rough edges. Gen hands would be a nice upgrade
- Crown tube and Crown screw in very nicely - almost like gen
- Bracelet is very nicely finished but when you run your finger over the links, you can feel the sharper edges between the links. This is where gen quality is way better as it is butter smooth.
- Movement winds with solid resistance, very gen like. As far as the quality and reliability of the movement.. I will be testing it shortly.
- Crystal is probably one of the nicest rep crystal I have seen but still no match for gen! Black hole effect is here but it is much stronger on the gen crystal. Also the outline of the gen cyclops is very distinctive.
- DW is OK, gen DW would be a nice upgrade
- Insert is really nice and bright. Will see if it dulls over time
- Rep pearl is very good but still not like gen. The color of the lume filling is too white on the rep.

I'll also add, case is excellent and a great base for frankens. Gen like lugs, rehaut looks great unless looking with a loupe.

Gen bracelet fits beautifully and evenly across all 4 corners. If some are experiencing uneven SELs, the issue is probably the endlink or could be the hole but I had no issues fitting gen bracelet on this case.

Last edited:

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU
Thank you for the comparison. This is just the sort of insightful objective review we need, rather than the usual conjecture. It sounds like quite a few mods/upgrades are “needed” out of the box, which negates it’s relatively cheap price it seems.

sfbatman787

Renowned Member
Certified
17/4/17
Thank you for the comparison. This is just the sort of insightful objective review we need, rather than the usual conjecture. It sounds like quite a few mods/upgrades are “needed” out of the box, which negates it’s relatively cheap price it seems.
Exactly for less than 1,400 bucks all in, you can have a beautiful watch which looks like a $9,000 watch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹
Exactly for less than 1,400 bucks all in, you can have a beautiful watch which looks like a $9,000 watch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the small review mate . I think all the points you mentioned above are normally where all reps are still lacking, Vsf for their first try did an amazing job. I decided to go franken (gen hands, dw and crystal although stock parts I will be changing are amazing quality) as I think they nailed the case and cw, which are the things that matter the most for me. I really looking forward for the no date and hopefully they keep rectifying the departments they're lacking. As for the bracelet my TD said they have improve it mid batch, mine at least had no Sharp edges whatsoever but might be a matter of luck.

Good to hear that the Gen bracelet fits without any trouble!

Reactions: Tete

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
this and RXF are the first to actually have a black hole!! Even that detail blows my minds like when clean came out with the rounded markers... like what a slap in the face

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
this and RXF are the first to actually have a black hole!! Even that detail blows my minds like when clean came out with the rounded markers... like what a slap in the face

Well, the Arf v2 had a black hole and we’ve had rounded markers since zzf first release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK

Whether they are needed or not depends solely on the owner. People wear and have worn many earlier versions of sub reps out the box, despite their short comings.

Reactions: Jayalvin777

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU
Whether they are needed or not depends solely on the owner. People wear and have worn many earlier versions of sub reps out the box, despite their short comings.

Obviously. That’s why I put the word “needed” in quotations.

clockwork

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
22/12/07
Just got mine and compared it to my gen hulk.

Here are my findings:

- Dial markers are amazing
- Center hole is bigger than gen, hence the dimple is more visible but it is hard to notice unless looking with a loupe
- Hands are definitely nice but still have rough edges. Gen hands would be a nice upgrade
- Crown tube and Crown screw in very nicely - almost like gen
- Bracelet is very nicely finished but when you run your finger over the links, you can feel the sharper edges between the links. This is where gen quality is way better as it is butter smooth.
- Movement winds with solid resistance, very gen like. As far as the quality and reliability of the movement.. I will be testing it shortly.
- Crystal is probably one of the nicest rep crystal I have seen but still no match for gen! Black hole effect is here but it is much stronger on the gen crystal. Also the outline of the gen cyclops is very distinctive.
- DW is OK, gen DW would be a nice upgrade
- Insert is really nice and bright. Will see if it dulls over time
- Rep pearl is very good but still not like gen. The color of the lume filling is too white on the rep.

I'll also add, case is excellent and a great base for frankens. Gen like lugs, rehaut looks great unless looking with a loupe.

Gen bracelet fits beautifully and evenly across all 4 corners. If some are experiencing uneven SELs, the issue is probably the endlink or could be the hole but I had no issues fitting gen bracelet on this case.

Thanks for listing all points and giving your opinion in comparison with GEN. This will help a lot of people, like me , to decide next steps, if any, with their VSF.

Thanks!

Linky80

Known Member
4/9/18
Which do people think is the better VSF Sub v’s Gen... the LV or the LN??

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I just got my LV today and I’m blown away by it. I second every word Tete said, it’s amazing, I feel it’s as impressive as my gen out the box - Im as pleased with it as I would be if it was real! Bracelet and clasp even better than my ARF E5N. I’ve got lots of pictures comparing the vsf to zzf and gen to upload which I’ll do this evening, it’s really really amazing, I love it!

I’ll make a new thread to show you how good out the box it is compared to zzf and gen. watch this space!

Boxster1965

Horology Curious
10/10/20
Had my VSF delivered yesterday and I’m over the moon with it.
Yes I know about the R and because of all the fantastic good points it really
doesn’t bother me ????