• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF VS3135 Submariner Comparison Against the Gen

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
5235a6a405c294de2a572f7a19c4e360.jpg

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
My VSF arrived today. I've taken some pics of it, as well as side by side with my gen (2010 V series).
Initial thoughts so far on things
- Crown threading feels nice. Not as smooth as gen and not as good as my ARF v3 SD43, but almost. It would be an obvious tell to anyone who knows what a gen feels like.
- Winding is smooth and feels/sounds almost identical to gen.
- Time setting feels great and is nice and direct.
- Date flip is like someone who did a few too many tequila shots - it wobbles side to side a lot on the way down. Instant tell.
- Bezel turn is lovely and zero replay, and I can't feel any difference under the finger tips.
- Bracelet is silent on and off the wriist. No squeeky mice :)
- Glidelock feels as good as gen.
- Safety clasp clicks in nice and secure - same as gen.
- Bracelet edge is almost as good, but not quite. Probably wouldn't know without a side by side feel.

Now some pics.
ZUBGvE.md.jpg

ZUB7ap.md.jpg

ZUBuJb.md.jpg

ZUBski.md.jpg

ZUBMOX.md.jpg

ZUB4jc.md.jpg

ZUBkvI.md.jpg

ZUBd64.md.jpg

ZUBPF1.md.jpg

ZUBQJ8.md.jpg

ZUBBdR.md.jpg

ZUBrjQ.md.jpg

I didn't do a side by side lume shot, but I honestly couldn't see a difference.
ZUQp43.md.jpg

SEL shots of the VSF. The fitting is a little uneven, especially the bottom right.
ZUBtOL.md.jpg

ZUB6uS.md.jpg

ZUB92P.md.jpg

ZUByfJ.md.jpg

Side by side. Time on the gen is always 7:25.
ZUBn6W.md.jpg

ZUBYlo.md.jpg

ZUBmIs.md.jpg

ZUBOWk.md.jpg

Gen clasp is on the left.
ZUBodY.md.jpg

ZUBqJD.md.jpg

VSF have done a nice job, in my opinion, especially with the crystal - it's so clear. However, there is a tiny blue dot which appears on the cyclops under natural light, and shifts as you move your wrist. The insert markers and bright and crisp, even under dull light. The dial looks amazing and the hands look better than I was expecting. The printing of the date font is nowhere near as clean as the gen under magnification, but not under normal viewing. We all know about the first 'R' on the rehaut. So what. The rehaut is really nicely polished. I'll be hanging out for the VSF114060LN. And I really hope they do the SD43!

Last edited:

supe12sta12z

Known Member
6/3/14
That’s scary good for a rep in this day and age.

I’m glad we’ve finally got a comparison to an actual Gen. I was getting real tired of all these rep vs rep comparisons that doesn’t really tell you anything substantial or definitive. Thanks for the review, it makes things so much clearer when you actually have a Gen in the flesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tete

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Yeah the r is a flaw but here’s another angle showing it generally in the right place...

ab717ac66aa1f0babff3a80afa456d78.jpg

Next batch might fix it but have a dial misprint, different SELs, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tete

BOSSK

Renowned Member
22/3/17
Oz
SS72 Great review mate, and congrats on the new watch! It really does take some serious scrutinising to see any differences between Gen & Rep. VSF has done amazing on their first try. Enjoy the watch and keep the pics coming :D

PS: you’re not Brisbane based by any chance?

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Aww man that is for the the side by side. It was fun pretending mine was 1:1 but then you see this and remember gen is gen. Sigh

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
on gen blackness from the dial gets reflected off a bigger lower rehaut edge which makes the dial look bigger and gives gen the wide-mouth effect in comparison to vsf. that and the rehaut as a whole is more shadowed due to a slightly steeper (less wokkier) rehaut. then the outer and inner diameter of gen insert is more rounded which gives it the gap between the insert and the bezel and the crystal.

Here is a quick photoshop where I added a shadow to the rehaut of the vsf, a dark ring around the insert to simulate the rounded edges, and put a shadow on the rehaut

Reactions: BOSSK and Tete

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
My VSF arrived today. I've taken some pics of it, as well as side by side with my gen (2010 V series).
Initial thoughts so far on things
- Crown threading feels nice. Not as smooth as gen and not as good as my ARF v3 SD43, but almost. It would be an obvious tell to anyone who knows what a gen feels like.
- Winding is smooth and feels/sounds almost identical to gen.
- Time setting feels great and is nice and direct.
- Date flip is like someone who did a few too many tequila shots - it wobbles side to side a lot on the way down. Instant tell.
- Bezel turn is lovely and zero replay, and I can't feel any difference under the finger tips.
- Bracelet is silent on and off the wriist. No squeeky mice :)
- Glidelock feels as good as gen.
- Safety clasp clicks in nice and secure - same as gen.
- Bracelet edge is almost as good, but not quite. Probably wouldn't know without a side by side feel.

Now some pics.

VSF have done a nice job, in my opinion, especially with the crystal - it's so clear. However, there is a tiny blue dot which appears on the cyclops under natural light, and shifts as you move your wrist. The insert markers and bright and crisp, even under dull light. The dial looks amazing and the hands look better than I was expecting. The printing of the date font is nowhere near as clean as the gen under magnification, but not under normal viewing. We all know about the first 'R' on the rehaut. So what. The rehaut is really nicely polished. I'll be hanging out for the VSF114060LN. And I really hope they do the SD43!

Great comparison and some very interesting points. Thanks for doing that. :drinks_cheers:

Reactions: SS72

ciaoman21

Known Member
5/2/19
EU
little feedback on the movement:
When I received the watch it was working very well, during the manual winding it was really very flexible and without brake, without effort .. then this one hardened .. and from the stem where the crown is located is derailed and turns without winding anything ... unfortunately I think that the winding pinion (3135-205) has deformed from the inside, metal probably too soft and movement insufficiently oiled ... all opinions are welcome !
The watch still works except for manual winding..
still waiting a ball to open it !
:(

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
little feedback on the movement:
When I received the watch it was working very well, during the manual winding it was really very flexible and without brake, without effort .. then this one hardened .. and from the stem where the crown is located is derailed and turns without winding anything ... unfortunately I think that the winding pinion (3135-205) has deformed from the inside, metal probably too soft and movement insufficiently oiled ... all opinions are welcome !
The watch still works except for manual winding..
still waiting a ball to open it !
:(

Gotta love reps. They would be so so good if were assembled a little better, glad this isn’t 500+ usd watch

Last edited:

ciaoman21

Known Member
5/2/19
EU
Gotta love reps. They would be so so good if were assembled a little better, glad this isn’t 500+ usd watch

that's the game ... ​​​​​​​ there are lucky ones and me !

I will take the opportunity to try to repair it ... only if I can!

it requires additional investment, and a lot of self-control

Last edited:

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Guys don't forget they changed the rehaut over the years from double engraved to single layer laser etched the 2010 gen above is the old one with double engraving.

Reactions: Jayalvin777

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20

Too right.. I think I would pay more for the same rep with the build quality of a decent watch.

Reactions: stufuse

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
Too right.. I think I would pay more for the same rep with the build quality of a decent watch.

You can its called a rolex. Its funny because everyone moans when the prices increase, so why would the factories increase quality? People choose based purely on the look accuracy

Last edited:

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
But you can already do this. Pay to get the movement serviced. Or buy R factory.

I have R factory. My point is if I buy a £300 Seiko, the sel link won’t fail, the tube won’t unscrew with the crown, the parts that hold it together will be of a standard that in a $500 Rolex rep is more like a $100 watch. (Some, not all).

Shany

24/6/19
Nice Review and thanks for pics.

I’ve seen some vsf qcs already, is it me or is the Rehaut abit to high ? Like 1-2mms?