• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Upcoming Datejust 126334 with VS3235 72hrs Power Reserve

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
DW no. Crystal i can see a very very small difference when I look at my VSF one vs gen one, depend of you but if it was me, I won't change crystal. And the dial, a gen dial is clearly a very good update to the VSF, because the difference is day and night.

So you would say that the dial is the only thing that needs to be replaced and it would look super indistinguish from gen? :)

Then dw is off the list if there is bot difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
So you would say that the dial is the only thing that needs to be replaced and it would look super indistinguish from gen? :)

I would say gen dial would be the first thing to get in franken route. Afterwards you do whatever you want, everyone has different perspective and ocds.
Personally for me, rep hands are always a tell but to another it could be cyclops halo effect or fluted bezel color. The latter 2 I dont really care too much about but as I said, everyone has different views and preferences. Enjoy!

I will post my approved QCs of the smooth bezel blue jubilee once I get from PT.

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
I would say gen dial would be the first thing to get in franken route. Afterwards you do whatever you want, everyone has different perspective and ocds.
Personally for me, rep hands are always a tell but to another it could be cyclops halo effect or fluted bezel color. The latter 2 I dont really care too much about but as I said, everyone has different views and preferences. Enjoy!

I will post my approved QCs of the smooth bezel blue jubilee once I get from PT.

I’m trying to build one, But due the budget I try to only change the must-have parts that makes almost impossible to tell compared to gen

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
Buy the VSF with a good QC and you are 99,5% safe I would say. On some members it sounds like they bump in to Rolex ADs every day that will inspect their watch with a macro.

Rolex changes DW thickness, hands and dial layout and even dial color slightly every now and then. No normal people remember all this.

If you going to franken your watch it should be for your own sake. If you are affraid that some will spot your rep save and buy gen because there is always a 0,01% possibilty that some will, how much you franken it.

On my gen submariner I first took noticed on details when reading about it here. Would never think about SELs, CG, serial spacing otherwise.

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
exilen Rep will always be a rep bro, no matter how good the franken is. Just enjoy what you have or whatever gen parts you can afford to franken the watch, then call it a day. (Then sell it on m2m once you realize it will never be gen lol)

Reactions: X-Guy

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
Buy the VSF with a good QC and you are 99,5% safe I would say. On some members it sounds like they bump in to Rolex ADs every day that will inspect their watch with a macro.

Rolex changes DW thickness, hands and dial layout and even dial color slightly every now and then. No normal people remember all this.

If you going to franken your watch it should be for your own sake. If you are affraid that some will spot your rep save and buy gen because there is always a 0,01% possibilty that some will, how much you franken it.

On my gen submariner I first took noticed on details when reading about it here. Would never think about SELs, CG, serial spacing otherwise.

+1

Jayalvin777

I'm Pretty Popular
17/9/20
🇦🇹
For what is worth some weirdo stole a picture of my vsf blue dial that I posted here or on reddit dont remember where it was but then he shared my picture on the rolex subrredit and absolutely no one noticed that it was a rep until i wrote in a comment and asked the picture to be taken down. That shows how good this vsf reps are and that 99% of gen owners dont have the knowledge that people on rwi possess.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
For what is worth some weirdo stole a picture of my vsf blue dial that I posted here or on reddit dont remember where it was but then he shared my picture on the rolex subrredit and absolutely no one noticed that it was a rep until i wrote in a comment and asked the picture to be taken down. That shows how good this vsf reps are and that 99% of gen owners dont have the knowledge that people on rwi possess.

On top of that even RWI members will have different levels of acceptability. In case of the VSF DJ41, my personal view is:

step 1. from 2m away (other side of the table): OOTB is good enough
step 2. at arm's length: indistinguishable from gen with R factory dial, crystal and bezel (or plating)
step 3. in hand and at small magnification 3x-5x: indistinguishable from gen with mods in 2. + R factory hands and crown
step 4. watchmaker inspection: get a gen ;)

Reactions: Kismet001

Venniz

26/7/20

Bezel, hands and dial gen. After that you won't see the difference. Well I won't.

Edit : Look at YellowFin post. I agree what he said.

Last edited:

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
exilen Rep will always be a rep bro, no matter how good the franken is. Just enjoy what you have or whatever gen parts you can afford to franken the watch, then call it a day. (Then sell it on m2m once you realize it will never be gen lol)

That is true bro. I am looking to franken a bit, But trying to minimalize the cost. So trying to only change parts that actually makes a Huge difference, like e.g. ARF dw

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18

Considering on gen dial swap, But not sure if I should take dw too. Any opinion? :)

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
On top of that even RWI members will have different levels of acceptability. In case of the VSF DJ41, my personal view is:

step 1. from 2m away (other side of the table): OOTB is good enough
step 2. at arm's length: indistinguishable from gen with R factory dial, crystal and bezel (or plating)
step 3. in hand and at small magnification 3x-5x: indistinguishable from gen with mods in 2. + R factory hands and crown
step 4. watchmaker inspection: get a gen ;)

Sounds like a gen dial and crystal would be a must change as how you Are saying. What about dw? Would you say gen hands is must on gen dial swap? For matching lume?

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
Considering on gen dial swap, But not sure if I should take dw too. Any opinion? :)

I think by the time you have decided, like in 4 month or so... there will be newer versions of DJ and you will have to start all over again...

I am buying the VSF DJ as it is and have no plan to mod it at all, that's my opinion.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Sounds like a gen dial and crystal would be a must change as how you Are saying. What about dw? Would you say gen hands is must on gen dial swap? For matching lume?

I would be careful with these. It's just an opinion/personal view, as he said. I'll give you another opinion, so you have more to choose from:

No, a genuine dial and a genuine crystal are most certainly not a must. Same with the datewheel or hands. You are talking about more than a thousand dollars there, for a toy watch. Plus, the quality level of this precise model is so high that the marginal benefit you will get is irrelevant (again, in my opinion). Before spending that amount of money (and time), bear in mind what do you want to accomplish by swapping rep parts for genuine:

1. Is it so people think it's a genuine watch? Trust me, they will think it's a genuine right out of the box. This is not a crappy canal street fake bought from a stall. And the ones that would be able to tell it's not gen, won't get fooled either, even with a gen dial/hands/crystal, etc.

2. Is it to make you feel it's really close to the genuine thing? Well, fine, but you of anyone know that it's not the genuine thing, so what's the point?

3. "Because it just looks better". Again, opinions, opinions. This is a watch freaks forum, you will always have someone saying that these hands have the wrong lume, the bracelet is a bit rattly, the crown guards aren't exactly like the genuine, the markers don't shine as much, the font isn't as crisp as it should be, etc. Just be aware of how much will you spend on that improvement and be aware that it might not be the massive improvement people say it is. In fact, you could probably buy another great watch with that money instead.

Or maybe you have a tree in your garden that grows money, in which case I'd say buy what you want, swap what you want, or even buy a genuine watch. But no, this watch doesn't "need" any genuine parts out of the box (unlike some other watches that really improve with some genuine parts *cough! arfdatewheelsucksquitealot *cough!)

Anyways, do what you want, it's your time & money, whatever you do I'm sure it will be fine. I just thought I would offer a different perspective just in case ;-)

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
3. "Because it just looks better". Again, opinions, opinions. This is a watch freaks forum, you will always have someone saying that these hands have the wrong lume, the bracelet is a bit rattly, the crown guards aren't exactly like the genuine, the markers don't shine as much, the font isn't as crisp as it should be, etc. Just be aware of how much will you spend on that improvement and be aware that it might not be the massive improvement people say it is. In fact, you could probably buy another great watch with that money instead.

Or maybe you have a tree in your garden that grows money, in which case I'd say buy what you want, swap what you want, or even buy a genuine watch.

Valid point, my gen dial cost as much as two VSF DJs. Luckily, I have that tree you mentioned growing right behind the house. Or maybe I'm just insane. ;)

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Valid point, my gen dial cost as much as two VSF DJs. Luckily, I have that tree you mentioned growing right behind the house. Or maybe I'm just insane. ;)

Hahaha, lucky you! Also, bear in mind these aren't mutually exclusive, maybe you are insane AND have that amazing tree!

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
I would be careful with these. It's just an opinion/personal view, as he said. I'll give you another opinion, so you have more to choose from:

No, a genuine dial and a genuine crystal are most certainly not a must. Same with the datewheel or hands. You are talking about more than a thousand dollars there, for a toy watch. Plus, the quality level of this precise model is so high that the marginal benefit you will get is irrelevant (again, in my opinion). Before spending that amount of money (and time), bear in mind what do you want to accomplish by swapping rep parts for genuine:

1. Is it so people think it's a genuine watch? Trust me, they will think it's a genuine right out of the box. This is not a crappy canal street fake bought from a stall. And the ones that would be able to tell it's not gen, won't get fooled either, even with a gen dial/hands/crystal, etc.

2. Is it to make you feel it's really close to the genuine thing? Well, fine, but you of anyone know that it's not the genuine thing, so what's the point?

Or maybe you have a tree in your garden that grows money, in which case I'd say buy what you want, swap what you want, or even buy a genuine watch. But no, this watch doesn't "need" any genuine parts out of the box (unlike some other watches that really improve with some genuine parts *cough! arfdatewheelsucksquitealot *cough!)

Anyways, do what you want, it's your time & money, whatever you do I'm sure it will be fine. I just thought I would offer a different perspective just in case ;-)

Well, I guess I only want to have the watch as close as gen as possible, that you can’t Even see the difference if you were to compared gen with VsF in the naked eyes. Was planning to buy dj 41 for a couple years ago, But today I think the prices just not justify it anymore...

It sounds like you Are convincing me to keep it as it is out of the box.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Well, I guess I only want to have the watch as close as gen as possible, that you can’t Even see the difference if you were to compared gen with VsF in the naked eyes. Was planning to buy dj 41 for a couple years ago, But today I think the prices just not justify it anymore...

It sounds like you Are convincing me to keep it as it is out of the box.

The thing is that the "you can't even see the difference" has to take into account the eyes of the beholder, so to say. If my mum has the crappiest datejust next to the VSF and a Gen, she probably wouldn't see any difference. If my watchsmith saw a very good QC'ed VSF next to a gen, probably not either (as he's not used to deal with Rolexes everyday), until he opened the case. And if I showed both the VSF almost fully frankened to one of the managers in one of the top end watch shops in my city, surely they would raise their eyebrows at least and think there's something there that doesn't add up.

The "impossible to tell" is in your eyes. But your brain (and heart) knows.

exilen

Renowned Member
12/11/18
Did anyone order a VsF Datejust recently after CNY? How long time did it take for the Watch to arrive?