• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Rolex 126234 Datejust 36 Fluted Blue Dial Mini Review

jackster88

5 Digit Addict
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/3/22
Singapore
Greetings everyone from the RWI family! I’m relatively new here but thought I’d share some thoughts and my mini review on the new VSF 126234 Datejust 36 Blue Dial.

Just got mine in today and snapped an absolute avalanche of photos for this review, if there is any specific part you want to see in macro, let me know!

Bezel
The bezel finishing and shape is good overall. Personally I would upgrade the bezel to a gen one or plate it with white gold if you want to get the most accurate colour. An experienced person would definitely be able to tell the colour difference between the VSF stock stainless and white gold.

Crown
Crown is acceptable, but when compared to gen, the coronet is more pronounced and finishing looks better. Overall still OK in my opinion.

Rehaut
The rehaut on this one was a bit of a letdown for me. Alignment is good but finishing isn’t as spectacular as their submariner rehaut.

Case
Overall case finishing on the VSF is good. Comes fully stickered around the whole case with a QR code on the side. Lugs also have protection tape stickers. However, as many have mentioned, the shape of the lugs seems wrong as it also was on their Datejust 41. Profile does not look as sharp as gen to me, but perhaps guys can help to discuss further on this in the comments. Finishing otherwise is good.

Dial
Blue sunburst is beautiful on the dial, dial printing is sharp and nice. Lume plots are white and lume is strong- though I expect gen lume to be brighter. Finish on the coronet at 12 is decent too. No reason to go gen in my opinion unless you want to go all out.

Hands
Hands are polished and look acceptable stock, proportions look good and accurate to gen. However as most reps, once you compare them to gen the difference in the 3D effect is night and day. They can be swapped and frankened for gen hands by a modder though.

Datewheel
Font on the datewheel looks to be ever so slightly thicker than gen to the naked eye. Other than that, the stock printing is sharp. Since the movement is a VS3235, it is also possible to franken and swap it with a gen datewheel.

Movement
Running the top tier VS3235 movement. Decentr finishing on the workhorse movement and winds nicely. Hands were also set correctly on mine, having the date change at exactly 12am.

Bracelet / clasp
The jubilee bracelet feels great. Quality of the actual bracelet itself feels similar to an ARF/Clean jubilee bracelet, and leaves no jangly-ness. Clasp is good as well but an ARF/Clean clasp’s ‘click’ feels better. Clasp code on my copy is P2K, SEL Codes are 8UF and 3NW.

Crystal
As expected from VSF, the crystal on this one is good, but has a tinge of blue on the cyclops from the AR coating they used. Good clarity and distortion, upgrading to a prof or deep crystal would only yield a slightly better AR coating and blackhole effect in my opinion. You might be better off going gen if you want to upgrade the crystal.

SEL
Good fitment as expected from VSF. No complaints here.

Overall Thoughts
I think that the VSF is a great contender out of the box, and has potential to be even more satisfying with a few mods or frankened parts, depending on what you want. It definitely is the best DJ36 rep available at the moment. The major downfalls of this are the lugs and the rehaut, but I believe they might be able to be reshaped by an experienced modder (or you can wait for clean’s version if they decide to produce one). If you can look past these flaws and enjoy it as it is, the VSF is a great rep OOTB and I believe you will have no regrets.

Out of the box, I would give build quality a 9/10 and accuracy a 7.5/10. To an untrained eye, it would be very hard to tell without the gen side by side.

However for many of us hardcore enthusiasts, you may opt to swap the following for a nice franken piece while parts are readily available. These are sorted in order of priority based on my opinion:

• WG Plated/Gen Fluted Bezel
  • Gen Hands
  • Gen DW
  • Gen Crystal
  • Gen Dial

I hope I was able to give everyone a bit of an insight to the new Datejust 36 from VSF, and hopefully helped you in deciding on whether to get it. I am still training my eyes and am by no means a professional in this game, and would love to hear your pointers and what you guys think about this as well.

IchBinzTim

Getting To Know The Place
28/3/22
yeah, waiting for them to update the case shape so i can install gen dial, hands and crystal on it

Reactions: Therolexxx

SwePe

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/9/22
EU
Thanks a lot for this, been waiting to see up close pics of the real watch. I’d agree with you about the lugs, but overall a beautiful pice.

Might just order this now. I just got the GMF DJ36 with silver dial, but owning 2 DJ:s has never killed anyone right 😅

Been a lot of discussions around the index markers as well, I still think they look a tiny bit thicker than gen. Would you have any thoughts on that?

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Apologies in advance for the messy organization of the photos. This is my first time posting on RWI.
Great post and valuable contribution to the forum. Thank you @jackster88 VSF 36mm looks like a great option for those with a smaller wrist size for whom the 41mm is far too much. 36mm also looks great with a shirt cuff.

Reactions: SwePe and AG91

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Excellent comparison write up and photos. Thank you for the details. Wear in good health.

Reactions: SwePe

brane

not pronounced like brain
Supporter
Certified
17/8/15
Bro this is a master class review, thanks.

Noobie1977

Do not accept unsolicited offers
11/12/17
Agreed. Great review. I was on the fence about getting this one, also in blue. I'm going to pull the trigger now.

Kevstah

13/6/20
Love how people wanted to create a flaw that are inexistent concerning dial markers being "too big and non gen-like" lol...
Very good pictures and valuable contribution. Looks like a solid choice for a 36mm.
Wish they ll push it in smooth bezel and oyster cfg.

Abarth500

21/8/17
The one o’clock marker is a bit off….but over all I like it…….I wonder if there is an oyster bracelet that would work?

Galenik

22/7/21
EU
Greetings everyone from the RWI family! I’m relatively new here but thought I’d share some thoughts and my mini review on the new VSF 126234 Datejust 36 Blue Dial.

Just got mine in today and snapped an absolute avalanche of photos for this review, if there is any specific part you want to see in macro, let me know!

Bezel
The bezel finishing and shape is good overall. Personally I would upgrade the bezel to a gen one or plate it with white gold if you want to get the most accurate colour. An experienced person would definitely be able to tell the colour difference between the VSF stock stainless and white gold.

Crown
Crown is acceptable, but when compared to gen, the coronet is more pronounced and finishing looks better. Overall still OK in my opinion.

Rehaut
The rehaut on this one was a bit of a letdown for me. Alignment is good but finishing isn’t as spectacular as their submariner rehaut.

Case
Overall case finishing on the VSF is good. Comes fully stickered around the whole case with a QR code on the side. Lugs also have protection tape stickers. However, as many have mentioned, the shape of the lugs seems wrong as it also was on their Datejust 41. Profile does not look as sharp as gen to me, but perhaps guys can help to discuss further on this in the comments. Finishing otherwise is good.

Dial
Blue sunburst is beautiful on the dial, dial printing is sharp and nice. Lume plots are white and lume is strong- though I expect gen lume to be brighter. Finish on the coronet at 12 is decent too. No reason to go gen in my opinion unless you want to go all out.

Hands
Hands are polished and look acceptable stock, proportions look good and accurate to gen. However as most reps, once you compare them to gen the difference in the 3D effect is night and day. They can be swapped and frankened for gen hands by a modder though.

Datewheel
Font on the datewheel looks to be ever so slightly thicker than gen to the naked eye. Other than that, the stock printing is sharp. Since the movement is a VS3235, it is also possible to franken and swap it with a gen datewheel.

Movement
Running the top tier VS3235 movement. Decentr finishing on the workhorse movement and winds nicely. Hands were also set correctly on mine, having the date change at exactly 12am.

Bracelet / clasp
The jubilee bracelet feels great. Quality of the actual bracelet itself feels similar to an ARF/Clean jubilee bracelet, and leaves no jangly-ness. Clasp is good as well but an ARF/Clean clasp’s ‘click’ feels better. Clasp code on my copy is P2K, SEL Codes are 8UF and 3NW.

Crystal
As expected from VSF, the crystal on this one is good, but has a tinge of blue on the cyclops from the AR coating they used. Good clarity and distortion, upgrading to a prof or deep crystal would only yield a slightly better AR coating and blackhole effect in my opinion. You might be better off going gen if you want to upgrade the crystal.

SEL
Good fitment as expected from VSF. No complaints here.

Overall Thoughts
I think that the VSF is a great contender out of the box, and has potential to be even more satisfying with a few mods or frankened parts, depending on what you want. It definitely is the best DJ36 rep available at the moment. The major downfalls of this are the lugs and the rehaut, but I believe they might be able to be reshaped by an experienced modder (or you can wait for clean’s version if they decide to produce one). If you can look past these flaws and enjoy it as it is, the VSF is a great rep OOTB and I believe you will have no regrets.

Out of the box, I would give build quality a 9/10 and accuracy a 7.5/10. To an untrained eye, it would be very hard to tell without the gen side by side.

However for many of us hardcore enthusiasts, you may opt to swap the following for a nice franken piece while parts are readily available. These are sorted in order of priority based on my opinion:

• WG Plated/Gen Fluted Bezel
  • Gen Hands
  • Gen DW
  • Gen Crystal
  • Gen Dial

I hope I was able to give everyone a bit of an insight to the new Datejust 36 from VSF, and hopefully helped you in deciding on whether to get it. I am still training my eyes and am by no means a professional in this game, and would love to hear your pointers and what you guys think about this as well.
Thank you a lot for taking the time and effort to do this very interesting review! Wear and enjoy your watch in good health:)

Please post an update if you do decide to mod the watch!

Cheers ;)

jackster88

5 Digit Addict
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/3/22
Singapore
Update: It seems as though Clean or CF has released their version of the Datejust 36, my thoughts are that it has a better case and lugs, as well as bracelet but lacks in the dial and crystal department. My thoughts are that I think that it will be a better base for modding, especially with a Deep Factory crystal and gen dial.

Reactions: AG91

SwePe

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/9/22
EU
Update: It seems as though Clean or CF has released their version of the Datejust 36, my thoughts are that it has a better case and lugs, as well as bracelet but lacks in the dial and crystal department. My thoughts are that I think that it will be a better base for modding, especially with a Deep Factory crystal and gen dial.
I don’t believe deep crystals are available for the 36 - at least I haven’t been able to source any.

Samgobigs

11/2/20
Great review! What are your thoughts on the bracelet? Some people say the edges on the center links on the bracelet feels tough, particularly if you are rubbing it side to side. Do you have this issue on the 36mm?

och

Known Member
19/4/22
Great review! What are your thoughts on the bracelet? Some people say the edges on the center links on the bracelet feels tough, particularly if you are rubbing it side to side. Do you have this issue on the 36mm?

I own a VSF and I've tried/seen a Clean before.
The bracelet on Clean is definitely more fluid and smoother.

AX3L

8/9/20
Italy
the overall construction looks pretty good!

However the dial print is a bit weird, looking at the "D" in Datejust (it seems not aligned) and the "O" in Official (it seems an 0).
Wish to see an improvement in next batch!