• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Releases Daytona 126500 (Equipped with Dandong 4131 beta)

spotcom

Finger Lickin’ Good
Supporter
Certified
15/6/19
USA
I could never get over these non-genlike sceletonized movements :ROFLMAO:
Hard pass for me
I typically feel the same way, unless the movement is reliable. Then, I don’t really care since it’s a closed case back!

Reactions: domiffm

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
Louisiana
Yah the movement looks like poo. Not even close to a 4131.
For anyone that cares about franken work internally, this would be a hard pass.

Maybe if they use the correct movement….

domiffm

handsome
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
Everyone is arguing with reliability. And I get. But since a few years the clone movements ARE indeed reliable. At least the most of them, the popular ones. DD, VS, VR, SA..

Never had real issues with them. At least not more compared to the ETA peer group.

So what are we talking bout here?

Reactions: Karbon74

Fusible

5/5/22
We talkin bout practice
Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
For some people here that may mix things up:
peacock is the name of the movement factory. its localised in DanDong city in china. factorys claim their name in front of those clonemovements sometime AFAIK cause they buy from peacock and disassemble, engrave, and reassemble by theirself.

So the movements:

N4130 (Noob Factory)
SA4130 (Clean)
DD4130 (Clean)
SL-4801 (Peacock)

Are basicly all the same. Decorated(engraved and so on) movements from Peacock, located in Dandong.

I may be wrong but thats how I get it so far :ROFLMAO:
N4130 = SA4130(*) = DD4130 are all the same and are all true clones of the Gen Rolex 4130 movement with the exception of the free sprung balance. (*) the name "SA4130" was at one point used to describe a slim 7750 movement, but is now mostly used correctly.

SL-4801 / SL-4802 is not the same thing as any of the above. The SL-4801 / SL-4802 is a "street legal" version of the 4130 design which Peacock changed enough to get around Rolex's intellectual property. The SL-4801 is a chronograph that follows much of the design of the 4130 but is different in significant ways (e.g. the pusher system is different, the keyless works are different, the rotor has unidirectional winding). It's not a bad movement and it's inexpensive and there are inexpensive sources for replacement movements and spare parts. But it's not the same thing as a 4130.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
N4130 = SA4130(*) = DD4130 are all the same and are all true clones of the Gen Rolex 4130 movement with the exception of the free sprung balance. (*) the name "SA4130" was at one point used to describe a slim 7750 movement, but is now mostly used correctly.

SL-4801 / SL-4802 is not the same thing as any of the above. The SL-4801 / SL-4802 is a "street legal" version of the 4130 design which Peacock changed enough to get around Rolex's intellectual property. The SL-4801 is a chronograph that follows much of the design of the 4130 but is different in significant ways (e.g. the pusher system is different, the keyless works are different, the rotor has unidirectional winding). It's not a bad movement and it's inexpensive and there are inexpensive sources for replacement movements and spare parts. But it's not the same thing as a 4130.
Thank you for this information👌

Reactions: dogwood

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Again, I argue that's all based on pricing.

Throw in a SL-4801 in, but price it APPROPRIATELY!

How many of us would be talking about this if it was priced the same as Clean?

Reactions: m5smg2 and Jossé

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Basicly its this watch:

Ich habe gerade diesen erstaunlichen Artikel auf AliExpress gefunden. Probiere ihn aus! CHF416.99 | Sugess Panda Taucher Chronograph Herren uhr automatische Pfau SL-4801 Uhrwerk Luxus wasserdichte mechanische Armbanduhren 2024 neu

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Should rephrase better, "how many of us would have bought it if it was priced the same as Clean?"
In haven’t bought the Clean because it’s priced the same as a Clean. It’s not that I can’t afford it, it’s just outside the range of what I’m prepared to spend on a fake Daytona.

Those who have been around a while will remember ZZF / Clean Subs touching $600 back in 2020 because they didn’t have competition. Noob had already gone to shit, and the ARF was too fat. It took VSF entering the Sub game at $200 below Clean to bring prices back down again. And they did it with a better watch.

I’m hoping for something similar here.

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
In haven’t bought the Clean because it’s priced the same as a Clean. It’s not that I can’t afford it, it’s just outside the range of what I’m prepared to spend on a fake Daytona.

Those who have been around a while will remember ZZF / Clean Subs touching $600 back in 2020 because they didn’t have competition. Noob had already gone to shit, and the ARF was too fat. It took VSF entering the Sub game at $200 below Clean to bring prices back down again. And they did it with a better watch.

I’m hoping for something similar here.
Well said @muiramas! I'm with you. Same reason I bought the Nood 116520 when it first came out with the 4130. Gotta support efforts to improve the craft. But there re limits, like you said. So, Thank You, VSF! Disclosure: I already ordered this VSF 126500LN from my TD.

Reactions: love_in_jumbo

Jackster

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I apologise if this is a dumb question but I have been a little overwhelmed by all the info here. The issue as I see it seems to be the reliability of the chrono function of the movement, but surely if the DD4130 is an exact clone of the Gen movement then why is it not as reliable? Maybe not Gen reliable but close to it? If they can do it with a 3235 then why not with this? And why change it to some skeleton movement, I don't get it?

Reactions: domiffm

Reaps

-
25/9/22
I apologise if this is a dumb question but I have been a little overwhelmed by all the info here. The issue as I see it seems to be the reliability of the chrono function of the movement, but surely if the DD4130 is an exact clone of the Gen movement then why is it not as reliable? Maybe not Gen reliable but close to it? If they can do it with a 3235 then why not with this? And why change it to some skeleton movement, I don't get it?

DD4130 is very reliable, but perhaps the assembly of the movement is not great. Since it's made illegally and underground they just toss it together with no standards for oiling, you can get a good one, you can get a bad one, etc.

Furthermore, if a DD4130 part breaks, you only have one option, buy gen parts. Not exactly cheap since they can cost the same as a Daytona or more.

The skeleton movement is completely legal. You can go to China, talk to Peacock, and ask to buy 1000 of them, legally import it to the US, etc. It does not infringe on any patents.

Because of the legal nature of this movement, it is more reliable, simply because, it is assembled in legal conditions, not a illegal sweatshop.

Furthermore, if the SL-4801 breaks, you can get parts for it, you can buy the movement off the shelf with little to no trouble from customs or anywhere, etc.

In general, think about the difference between a ETA2824 and a VS3135. Both are considered reliable, but the clone movement is a tad bit more annoying to fix if it breaks. And the condition in which both are made in also are different.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
DD4130 is very reliable, but perhaps the assembly of the movement is not great. Since it's made illegally and underground they just toss it together with no standards for oiling, you can get a good one, you can get a bad one, etc.

Furthermore, if a DD4130 part breaks, you only have one option, buy gen parts. Not exactly cheap since they can cost the same as a Daytona or more.

The skeleton movement is completely legal. You can go to China, talk to Peacock, and ask to buy 1000 of them, legally import it to the US, etc. It does not infringe on any patents.

Because of the legal nature of this movement, it is more reliable, simply because, it is assembled in legal conditions, not a illegal sweatshop.

Furthermore, if the SL-4801 breaks, you can get parts for it, you can buy the movement off the shelf with little to no trouble from customs or anywhere, etc.

In general, think about the difference between a ETA2824 and a VS3135. Both are considered reliable, but the clone movement is a tad bit more annoying to fix if it breaks. And the condition in which both are made in also are different.
Can you swap out the DD movement for the SL if the former breaks?

spotcom

Finger Lickin’ Good
Supporter
Certified
15/6/19
USA
I am being confused too 😂

So, is it worth buying or not?
For $450, if the overall build quality of the watch is good, seems like it’s worth it. Just manage your expectations on what you’re getting.

I think it goes to show just how much is being uncharged for clone movements. I get the rationale - costs a lot to create the movement and then to buy the movement. But an extra $400 for a clone movement? I think this puts things into greater perspective for me.

Reactions: Karbon74