• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF PAM683

merowinger

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/13
Switzerland
First: congrats on your new PAM !
Hope I will receive mine next week...been waiting since forever.

I'm not a scientist, but could it be that the rotor is grinding / touching the caseback?
How about some pics of your terrible bezel markers and the huge fish eye effect ?

Thanks !

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
I visited the AD yesterday and, even though the main flaws have been pointed out, this one is a very, very close rep. Even the silver markers (both the indents and the circles) on the bezel, which I thought to be weak, are identical. Yeah, I know about the fish eye effect and the somewhat noisy rotor, but to the naked eye, this is one of the better reps I have. My first PAM and very happy with it. :)

Reactions: merowinger

Rogers

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/10/10
I have an update about mine 683, it seems that the movement was no good. The hour hand jammed a couple of times, and it wasn't able to keep time. So I decided to send it back, and to have more patience.

Reactions: mew

bloomberg

Looking Around
16/12/11
USA
Today I received mine, and I have to say it is indeed a beautiful sharp looking watch! Mine first reaction was wow!! Ands 42mm wears very well and I think a 42mm is just great for a Panerai, it his more classy now. At first sight you will fall in love whit this VSF watch, that's for sure!

But for the VSF model I have to be picky (sorry guys), the rotor it is noisy, yes. It rotates to easy, when you shake your wrist it will turn for about ten times completely free.

The rubber strap is short, 70/110 so keep that in mind. If you have a bigger wrist better buy another strap for it, but I do not know of 22mm rubber REP straps are available? Anyone knows a good adress for great 22 mm rubber straps?

The fisheye effect is huge on this one, the dial will be distorted completely because if this it wille be almost impossible to look at the dial.
And again sorry I'm a picky guy, the markers on the insert between the 12 and 3 look like they were hand-painted, and the color of the markers is very thin and less sharp looking.

That the watch is a bit thicker then GEN is hardly noticeable.

Keep in mind that the movement can't handle to select only the date. You have to move the hour hand to set up the date. Also there is a little free space in the hour hand, for example if both hands are on the 12 the hour hand is not completely underneed the minute hand. You have to push the crown a bit to select the hour hand and turn it manually to his correct position.

The total finish of the watch is very very good, but the movement and crystal... I don't know, time will tell.

And if I tick on the caseback it sounds like the rotor is a bit loose. So i decided to open up the watch and have a look. The rotor itself is steady and when I shake the watch the rotor isnt making a lot of noise without the caseback. But as soon I replace the caseback the rotor sound is very noticeable. Someone has an idea?

Do you mind sharing some pictures of how your dial looks between 12 and 3 o'clock as well as the huge fisheye effect? I have mine on the way, ordered from a TD and now a little worried especially after reading your last comment about a faulty mechanism.

Last edited:

column

11/10/15
Germany
I received mine a few days ago. I am very happy with the watch in total. I am wondering if the additional 1mm thickness is a mistake (copied from older 42mm sub) or technical necessary. I made some pictures in different angels to visualize the so called fish eye effect. This is the only thing which disturbs me a little bit. But not a deal breaker for me.

ed36a61e2165e5315625e16985c9aa66.jpg

add6af18f09156f71d7b8d4f2eed4dad.jpg

09de3582ce45c301622c8b19b8f81597.jpg

bc05c0211d619bca0ee2efde4d0afd3f.jpg

Last edited:

mew

18/12/15
Germany
I am wondering if the additional 1mm thickness is a mistake (copied from older 42mm sub) or technical necessary. I made some pictures in different angels to visualize the so called fish eye effect. This is the only thing which disturbs me a little bit. But not a deal breaker for me.

bc05c0211d619bca0ee2efde4d0afd3f.jpg

Well factories usually pride themselves with getting the thickness correct and mention it specifically in the specifications, so I doubt that it's a mistake. But maybe someone can just grab a pair of calipers and post some exact measurements? :)

column

11/10/15
Germany
Nice watch. My VSF PAM683 looks different and has another thickness.
eadb95b7f73a1627d30743a87d14cf20.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
m800 - looks like is measuring thickness along the edge. It might be better to measure center bottom/top.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

superspark69

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
22/10/18
Sheffield, UK
Although it is a great looking rep, it is certainly flawed, following flaws........

thickness
slight fisheye from extreme angles
wrong movement, shouldn’t have date set by hour hand ( probably the reason it’s too thick, should have gone 7750 or seagull being as though it’s closed caseback).
cannon pinion too large

however it’s one that I will keep as it looks and wears damn well. Hopefully another factory will rep and correct the above flaws.

by the way, all the flaws are present in the other new 42mm subs.

column

11/10/15
Germany
Nice strap! Could you please post a link of no 4? Thanks, this would be great!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

ahek11

Horology Curious
26/11/19
Received mine today! Love this awesome looking watch!

Went to the boutique before Xmas and honestly I couldn't tell them apart with naked eye.

The only neg for me is the movement winding plate sound which is loud but i can live with it. Also noticed the date starts to change before 2330.

Here's some pics :)
b1f04298218f9f80b7bd7df5c95c15f1.jpg
b27443a1b6c6d595b08f7d0fac94d77f.jpg
664a7f6be0d4d49a020a516a5b9f93d1.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: leo6929 and column

saliansw6

12/10/18
Just placed an order for one of these. What are some of the things I should be looking out for in terms of QC?