• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

US Customs seizure and nastygram from Rolex attorneys...

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
as i posted earlier in this thread it's not illegal in the usa to purchase a replica, it is illegal to import or sell.

Well, technically if I buy a rep from Asia and it comes across the US border, does that not make me the importer, and thus illegal?

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Well, technically if I buy a rep from Asia and it comes across the US border, does that not make me the importer, and thus illegal?

Probably. But maybe Customs has a policy that it has to so many before they look at it that way - maybe like local cops and pot - there are unwritten rules at that level on personal use vrs. intent to deliver - maybe Customs does something similar. As far as Rolex - they'll probably send letters to who ever they hear about.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Probably. But maybe Customs has a policy that it has to so many before they look at it that way - maybe like local cops and pot - there are unwritten rules at that level on personal use vrs. intent to deliver - maybe Customs does something similar. As far as Rolex - they'll probably send letters to who ever they hear about.

Oh, I'm very certain there are *written* rules, in the case of both drugs and counterfeit goods, that delineate between buying for personal use and buying to distribute/sell.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

yes, if you are the importer that is illegal but you can go to canal street and buy reps all day and cannot be charged for that.

SpaCityHustler

Known Member
6/2/09
SpaCityHustler: If by pain at this time of the year you are referring to Taxes due, I very much feel your pain. The tax code is too complex and has become a welfare act for accountants. It should be simple enough that any high school graduate can do his or her own taxes. A "flat tax" would accomplish that. Anything more complex than can be done by any high school graduate with a C average is an injustice to the American public.

Roger that, other than the tax code I was talking about the fourteen hour days in fifteen minute increments and that I am to the point I feel like I am answering any question, even as simple as what do you want for dinner hun, in IRAC form....(Wait, my wife is an acct. major maybe I ought to disaffirm that comment about the tax code on second thought)

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06

yes, it makes you the importer. you ordered it and had it shipped to the usa.