• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ultimate Patek Philippe collection - a work in progress

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Disappointingly it seems that the factories have stopped making the first one of my previous post - it's actually one of the better PP reps, and given some of the rubbish they churn out I've no idea why they stopped making it.

On the plus side I did find these two pretty decent versions at Timeshop, recently added. I ordered those two plus a 21j Aquanaut. They're 43mm, compared to 37mm for the gen, but should be a wearable size for me (just) and they're some of the better grand complication reps I've seen available.

Patek Philippe 5004G

This is rose gold but there are some grand complications gens made in rose gold so its not too unrealistic.

wgqp10.jpg

Gen:

2vbtusp.jpg

Patek Philippe 5004P

2wnb7n9.jpg

gen:

ygi05.jpg

Not sure what is going on with the date-wheel on the left, will check QC pics, hopefully it's the same as the first one and it shows the month, not the year.

This is the Aquanaut:

166zrwm.jpg

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
The 5004G looks pretty good, however, there are a number of tells which exist independent of knowing what the gen looks like. The subdial @ 3 also includes a leap year indicator, but there is no hand to indicate which of the 4 year cycle it's on, a similar issue with the subdial @ 9, which lacks a hand to indicate the time on the 24 hour clock (essentially a day/night indicator). Also, the subdial @ 6 is a day/night indicator with a moonphase aperture.

The problem with replicas of grand complications are that there are no generic movements with the ability to replicate all the intricate complications in a functional form. For me, I would rather have a well-executed fantasy model, than one with non-functional or missing (as compared to the dial) complications.

I should mention that one standard way of dramatically improving the credibility of a Patek replica is to replace the cheap replica watch strap with a better leather strap.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Thanks for your input Honeybear. :) Yeah, I had noticed those things, a couple of little tweaks and it could be a much better rep. That seems to be the case with all grand complications reps as you say. I can see your point about well executed fantasies (if you see any good PP fantasies around let me know), but I haven't even found many/any of those for the grand complications. For this little 'project' I'm happy enough with them looking credible from a couple of feet away. They're a bit like an impressionist painting, nice from a distance but rough up close.

Good point about the straps - do you have a place that you'd recommend? I find it really hard to tell the quality from looking online. Here is one I'm considering, but I wonder how much of an improvement it would be as it's pretty cheap: http://www.watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb/elitePop/Vienna.htm

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
The straps you're suggesting look okay, and I think it's likely that they'll be better than the replica straps you'll receive. Why don't you wait until the reps arrive, and then you can see the quality of the straps which come with it.

I've come across this fantasy replica, which is quartz, but since it doesn't have a second hand, it might be okay.

http://www.timesshop.net/product.php?id_product=5792

5792-36600-thickbox.jpg

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
That does look rather good ta, I actually had it on my last shortlist with Timeshop but it didn't quite make the cut (I went with an aquanaut instead). Will be on my next order I think.

BTW for replacement clasps (many of the PP reps have inaccurate buckles), Timeshop said they'd sell the clasps with the strap only, and quoted me $28 if I buy 5 of them (that's about how many I would be after). A little more than I'd like but I'm still tempted. Obviously I don't really want the straps, just the clasp.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
BTW for replacement clasps (many of the PP reps have inaccurate buckles), Timeshop said they'd sell the clasps with the strap only, and quoted me $28 if I buy 5 of them (that's about how many I would be after). A little more than I'd like but I'm still tempted. Obviously I don't really want the straps, just the clasp.

Do you have a photo of the clasp they're selling? If it's the Patek tang buckle, then a common issue is that they engrave Patek on the outside, as opposed to the inside, where it is supposed to be.

PP%20Buckle%20white.jpg

If you're talking about the Patek deployants, then $28 is a good price.

Patek-Deployant-1.jpg

pp_fc_02.jpg

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Thanks for the info re the buckle, and you're right - almost always the engraving (pretty shoddy) is on the outside. I much prefer the deployant kind - the middle kind (I assume thats a gen). Here's the rep:

wlvbsj.jpg

I don't think it has the engraving on it though.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Celestial arrived from Replicamake yesterday. It's good, but it's too big. Measures appx. 45mm rather than the claimed 42mm. It's very heavy, very nice attention to detail - definitely has the quality of an expensive watch, but IMO let down by the size.

IMG_7489.jpg

IMG_7493.jpg

IMG_7494.jpg

IMG_7483.jpg

Is this engraved? It does a good job of looking like it:

IMG_7484.jpg

I love the clasp, although unlike the gen the inner part of the deployant isn't engraved.

IMG_7482.jpg

Photo indicating the size:

IMG_7490.jpg

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
The mailman is being kind to me this week, today came the three I ordered from Watch Eden. I am extremely pleased with all three. First of all, in contrast to the Celestial, they are all exactly the correct size as they were advertised. Here are some rushed low-light photos.

Skymoon Tourbillon

Surprisingly wearable and rather nice.

IMG_7532.jpg

IMG_7535.jpg

IMG_7534.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

IMG_7519.jpg

5970 grand complication black dial

The photos really don't do it justice, this is my new favourite dress watch. A nice size, 40mm and quite thin, it looks really good from a foot away (normal viewing distance).

IMG_7529.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

engraving on buckle on reverse side, which is accurate for PP buckles, I've now swapped it for the Calatrava cross clasp.

IMG_7528.jpg

5970 grand complication silver dial

As per the gen, the dial is silver, although For some reason the color doesn't really show up in the photo. I'll take better shots later.

IMG_7530.jpg

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I put the correct clasp on the black 5790, and also put a black strap on the white/silver dial 5970, which looks much better that way:

2v97k83.jpg

2il0xdu.jpg

I'll be buying some decent leather straps soon. One issue is the thickness - have to be reasonably thin to fit through the Patek Philippe crown clasp.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
3 new arrivals today :) I regard the two below as probably the best grand complications reps around. All subdials work, although the inner subdials don't (and have no needle). Still very very impressive IMO.

IMG_7665.jpg

IMG_7666.jpg

IMG_7667.jpg

IMG_7673.jpg

IMG_7675.jpg

IMG_7674.jpg

I wore the Aquanaut today, extremely comfortable (my first rubber strap) and relatively thin which I like.
IMG_7676.jpg

Groupshot with Nautilus moonphase missing. Also I'll get a chronograph to complete the box.

IMG_7661.jpg

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Thanks very much Bonesey, just got to sort those 2 Breguet spots.

Here's a group shot of the 4 grand complications. I cheekily added a logo in too :) Decided to put it in my signature.

160eo0x.jpg

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
What ever became of these PP's you ordered. The top one is what interests me in particular.

Thanks Honeybear, that's a useful suggestion. I agree with you, the Nautilus, Aquanaut, and probably the 5070 (chronograph - http://www.asian7750.com/cn/product_...7&P_id=375&ti= ) are the most accurate. I like the Nautilius, not really a big fan of the aquanaut, the 5070 is more dressy so quite good I suppose. The thing is, I would much rather a decent version of a PP dress watch with complications, although that seems to be a pipe-dream, so that's why I'm buying the cheap approximations that might look ok from a distance but wouldn't stand close inspection. If there are better versions (e.g. of the grand complications) then I'll gladly buy them (let me know if you see any!)

Last night I ordered these (not TD):

pp1.jpg

pp3.jpg

pp2.jpg

http://www.watch-international.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=862

http://www.watch-international.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=848

http://www.watch-international.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=804

fitfixxer

Looking Around
1/11/11
Hi,

Could anyone tell me the PP model that appears the last one in the right bottom corner of the 10-piece box? Thanks!

ajmoretti

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/7/12
:cheers:I have just purchased a Patek skeleton Chronograph SS Working Chronograph - Lemania from Asian7750 can anyone tell me if there are massive faults with this watch or floors.
I have not seen the QC pics yet but will post them on here for you guys to comment on if thats ok.

Tysodrum

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
21/8/10
Jrod, Where did you get the 5004's and the 5970's? What a killer collection! Love it!

iggypop

I'm Pretty Popular
27/9/12
Maybe Watch Eden reads the messages :) I just got QC pics for the final watch in my order. Charlie Sheen probably ordered this one to replace the one he lost:

dpbmdk.jpg

:wub::wub::wub::wub:
omg beautiful beautiful
I hope one day after I get all my main reps out of the way (the ones on the list top 5) I''ll go for pp or alange sohne