• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Trump Victory Tourbillon

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
For what it's worth, the disclaimer states that Trump, his campaign, or his companies have nothing to do with this. The manufacturer(?) of the watch just licensed his name to put on the watches.

So whether or not he's a good or bad politician or person; or represents the best or worst in our culture, has nothing at all to do with this watch.
I don't want to drag this out, but the one thing that comes to mind here is that paper (or a website) will hold whatever it is written on it.

We'll never know if that's true or not.

Reactions: Karbon74

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
I don't want to drag this out, but the one thing that comes to mind here is that paper (or a website) will hold whatever it is written on it.

We'll never know if that's true or not.
Perhaps.

But historically, the Trump brand predates his entry into politics by several decades. His name is something that's long been associated with wealth, success, and business saavy...rightly or wrongly. Before he was the US President, he was a well known celebrity, famous for his businesses.

Trump has sold the rights to attach his name to various business ventures, from hotels to personal accessories to food products...a company negotiates with him, a deal is made, and a product bearing the "Trump" name is offered on the market. Some are successful, some not so much, but this isn't really something unheard of, for Trump or any luxury brand. A company makes a buck, DJT gets his licensing fee, and a buyer gets a product that they...for whatever reason...want. This is how business operates, all over the world.

Navy Seals allow their brand to be used on wristwatches...by Luminox, Panerai, and probably others...I don't really consider that an "endorsement" of the watch...the handful of SEALs I've met wear a Submariner or a Garmin. IWC isn't "Endorsed" by Exupery when they sell Le Petit Prince watches. I was on vacation in Key West Florida and saw at least a dozen products bearing Ernest Hemingway's name, from wristwatches (one of which I bought) to Rum, Pens, and leather goods...all manufactured long after his death, but by your rationale, "endorsed" by him. I'm looking out the window at work at a "Harley Davidson" Ford F-150...I doubt Harley is endorsing people choosing a truck over a motorcycle, but they made a buck letting their name be used.

Hell, Elvis and Marilyn Monroe have "endorsed" more products, post-mortem, than most celebrities do in their lifetimes.

So for the record, I think this is one butt-ugly watch, and so ridiculously overpriced at $500k that only a fool would buy it. But a fool and his money are soon parted, and it's not, by far, the worst waste of money I've ever seen...I bought a Microsoft Zune at one point...

A $500k watch isn't really any different than a $500k/plate dinner fundraiser for a politician, although the disclaimer does state that this is not a political donation, which is probably legally required if Trump is, in fact, not profiting from the watch.

Just my $.02, but I repeat my request that we please keep politics off these forums. I get my fill of controversy outside here...this is a safe space where people of different viewpoints come to discuss something that they have in common...we don't need to introduce division here.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
Predict Schitts Creek GIF by CBC
@eBoy

Actually, I posted a very similar dig at the Trump watch yesterday…
And i deleted it almost immediately thinking about the shitstorm that could follow

You are much braver than me.
Or less intelligent, or maybe both 🤔

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
A $500k watch isn't really any different than a $500k/plate dinner fundraiser for a politician, although the disclaimer does state that this is not a political donation, which is probably legally required if Trump is, in fact, not profiting from the watch.
With how it is now known how his dealings (on any aspect) are done or have gone, I am skeptical of the disclaimer. It might not be inherently for political gain, but it's another way of putting his name out there in business and propaganda. The site'll hold whatever it gets written on it.

Again, not a political jab or opinion. Sadly, the guy will be forever intertwined with politics.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
With how it is now known how his dealings (on any aspect) are done or have gone, I am skeptical of the disclaimer. It might not be inherently for political gain, but it's another way of putting his name out there in business and propaganda. The site'll hold whatever it gets written on it.

Again, not a political jab or opinion. Sadly, the guy will be forever intertwined with politics.

It reminds me of the disclaimers and claims on dodgy websites like

www. pikafactory makes the best subs74 io

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mclarendude

eBoy

⚜️ RWI NMA Chief Bracelet Link Remover ⛓️‍💥🔗🪛🔧
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
A place of darkness and light a.k.a. EU
@eBoy

Actually, I posted a very similar dig at the Trump watch yesterday…
And i deleted it almost immediately thinking about the shitstorm that could follow

You are much braver than me.
Or less intelligent, or maybe both 🤔

Braver and more intelligent. And beautiful. Not to mention my incredible meat hammer that's dangling between my two... Oh well, I digress now...

Maybe I'm just not tactful or diplomatic? 😂

I think though, that everyone here is adult enough not to let it escalate. The current toxicity and division is unbelievable and needs to stop... So what if someone is conservative and supports the guy, if just out of party loyalty?

@Feefo's Ford F-350 has enormous truck nuts and, yes, 3 huge ass MAGA flags mounted on it.

h9l02P.jpeg

I personally happen to not agree with MAGA policies, but Feefo is still my broseph who'd I give my last "Biden has dementia" shirt...

Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News

And if someone thinks they need to escalate things, @P..DR..D will bring out the moderation hammer. All good...

thor ragnarok GIF by Product Hunt

• Haha
Reactions: RDRoss and Karbon74