• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Travelling with a replica

Bizi

Renowned Member
4/10/09
I will keep asking: is there anyone that has to pay a fine after a official procedure like anykind of seizing ?
What is the odds?

BrucesReps

Renowned Member
2/6/10
I guess in France I cannot wear my 2tone Rado voyager because it looks like a datejust, and I cant wear my invicta because it looks like a rolex sub.... Some people are just effing crazy.

Darthmemnoch

Renowned Member
10/9/07
Moral of the story... Don't carry your reps past the French, Italian and Swiss borders...

Mambo

I'm Pretty Popular
24/8/09
The only customs who ever paid attention to a watch was Dutch customs, ...
They commented on the nice watch, I said thanks , and that was it :)

When I travel the only watch I carry is on my wrist, no problems ...

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Moral of the story... Don't carry your reps past the French, Italian and Swiss borders...

No problem crossing the French or Italian border with a rep. About the Swiss border, if you're wearing a good rep and if you dont' look like a homeless wearing a 10K€ watch, it should be alright :)

I will keep asking: is there anyone that has to pay a fine after a official procedure like anykind of seizing ?
What is the odds?

The odds are ridiculous.

watsondog

25/1/11
United Kingdom
What is the odds?

I dont quite know what your getting at. If your wearing the watch the chances are less than slim that they'll even pay attention to it, its your property they would have no idea of its age, history or anything else. Now., if your trying to bring a whole stack of rep watches through customs, thats a different ball game. Same as it would be with a whole pile of gens.., possible import duty evasion could certainly get them looking closer.

Bizi

Renowned Member
4/10/09
I dont quite know what your getting at. If your wearing the watch the chances are less than slim that they'll even pay attention to it, its your property they would have no idea of its age, history or anything else. Now., if your trying to bring a whole stack of rep watches through customs, thats a different ball game. Same as it would be with a whole pile of gens.., possible import duty evasion could certainly get them looking closer.

That is my point !!
I think very unlikely you get any kind of problem wearing a rep during a vacation trip anywhere you go, but I felt scared after some comments done by some friends here in RWI.
At least, I didn´t get any negative feedback from anyone that ever had this kind of issue.
Thank you all to call me down :)

kilrimont

Known Member
18/12/10
Hey everyone. Lot of speculation here. We all know that laws are written stricter than enforced so they can be used if someone doesn't like the way you look. I suspect in pure numbers there are more reps than gens in existence. Anyone ever have on taken off their wrist by customs? I have only recently gotten into reps any never travelled with one yet. I have travelled with a gen omega 1950s bumper, no one ever even looked at it.

Bigmarcelo

17/10/10
Singapore guys haha, they're actually quite strict there, they usually scans your belonging but as long as nothing major they'll let me go

But singapore is worried about you bringing alcohol or cigaretts!!! I travel with one watch on the wrist plus two on a travel case... Never an issue...

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
So if they ever ask you if you are wearing a rep, tell them its gen. Simple as that. Are they going to open your caseback and check to see the movement, pull out a loupe and check your rehaut alignment? Maybe they will see your incorrect handstack! Do they have an AD on staff at all times to verify reps?

Kolapso

Horology Curious
12/1/11
I Live in Spain, I´ve traveled acros a lot of countries in Europe including Italy, France and Swizeterland, and I`ve never had any issue in customs with my reps.

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
TRF members cant spot a rep on their own forum, how will a customs officer prove your watch is a rep? The only way is if you declare it.

accord

12/9/09
Last year I went to France, and I was wearing my TagHeuer replica, and I did took it off while was walking into metal detector in Paris. Watch was with my belt and other coins in small plastic bucket allso going thru rengen, and nobody said anything!
And back then I had a horrible blue AR coting still on it.
But they didnt do anything!
maby I was lucky, maby they arnt watching!

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Airport security, or even regulars customs officers, are not trainned to detec replica watches... People needs to stop being scared about their own shadow.

I crossed litteraly hundreds of borders (mostly airports) with a rep on my wrist, and sometimes 2 more in my briefcase. Out of these hundreds of times, I only had one customs officer staring at my watch. It was the first and only time, and the guy didn't even talked to me.

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
Okay, so Switzerland, France and Italy are no go... I wouldn't wear a rep to Malaysia, Indonesia abd some parts of China for other reasons

To second what Wiz tells you, guys, I live in France (very close to the border with Switzerland), travel quite a lot, sometimes with reps, sometimes with gens, always with a watch which "face value" is in excess of 2000€. In the beginning, I was always with the gens, and sometimes carrying some certificate... Stupid me!!!

Not a single time has someone stopped to even look at my watch suspiciously. I've had some comments (in Geneva Airport, CH, and going to France, of all things !) from an official guy when screening me... like "nice watch sir" and me "thanks!" That's all!

Honestly, they don't care a lot (whatever the law says, it's more important catching something that my be used as a weapon in the air plane than any counterfeit items) and if you look "the part" you'll never have any problems (and when I say look the part, it's not look "blingy", mind, I'm mostly wearing jeans and a shirt... it's more in the demeanour, attitude, etc.)