• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Travelling with a replica

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
i wouldn't worry. it won't help. act rich. the only thing i had a problem with is the 30oz of silver i carry. they really liked lookin' at that. the watches....not so much. only had the one tho....

Darthmemnoch

Renowned Member
10/9/07
Okay, so Switzerland, France and Italy are no go... I wouldn't wear a rep to Malaysia, Indonesia abd some parts of China for other reasons

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I ain't even gunna ask why yu carry 30oz of silver.
Not in 1oz pieces are they :)
They look at your silver to make sure it isn't gold plated with silver.

Col.

tedjosg2003

Known Member
2/12/10
Singapore guys haha, they're actually quite strict there, they usually scans your belonging but as long as nothing major they'll let me go

leeb

Known Member
28/9/10
The illegal counterfeit market costs the Swiss economy an estimated SFr2 billion ($1.79 billion) a year and the watchmaking industry alone some SFr800 million ($718 million)??

Whose counting? :p

Always wondered how they came up with these figures

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
The illegal counterfeit market costs the Swiss economy an estimated SFr2 billion ($1.79 billion) a year and the watchmaking industry alone some SFr800 million ($718 million)??

Whose counting? :p

Always wondered how they came up with these figures
They came up with these figures by estimating the number of "fake" watches sold (estimating how?) and calculating what these would have been worth if they were gens. The assumptions both on the estimation of units sold, the average gen value per watch, and that these would all have been gen sales if reps were not available are patently ludicrous (not the rapper).
But it sounds good in news stories, no?

Subb

Known Member
14/2/11
Isn't repping everything legal in italy they even sell reps of everything there..

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Legal? :lol:
No mate, even possesing a fake of a watch, bag, sunnies etc can get you arrested in Italy. They have some of the harshest laws in the world on fakes.

yes, they are on sale everywhere but that's good old corruption at work for you, the sellers pay off the cops.

Col.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Actually they have a weird law, they only recognize infractions if the brand is counterfeited. Sterile watches are legal for example, while here in France, any hommage/sterile watch is as much illegal as any other rep.

Subb

Known Member
14/2/11
Wel I don't live there but I heard it's legal to make replica's of lets say furniture and sell it. This because a friend of mine imported like 200 chair replica's of charles eames. To bad Dutch customs caught him and took them all :p. Or is what you mean it's fine aslong as you don't put their brand name on it?

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Wel I don't live there but I heard it's legal to make replica's of lets say furniture and sell it. This because a friend of mine imported like 200 chair replica's of charles eames. To bad Dutch customs caught him and took them all :p. Or is what you mean it's fine aslong as you don't put their brand name on it?

Yes, in Italy it's fine as long as you don't put their brand name on it. In France it's illegal even without the name on it. It's even illegal if it's "inspired" from something that already exists.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I've crossed borders hundreds of times with a rep on my wrist, and except for Swizerland, no one ever paid attention to my watch.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
It's not unusual at the Swiss border to have a customs officer staring at my watch for a few seconds, but never more than that.

On the other hand, if you take a look inside wallet, or my suit, or whatever, it's not irrealistic to believe I'm wearing a gen.

Bizi

Renowned Member
4/10/09
Let me ask you guys something: and if you buy a rep without knowing it is a rep, how they could prove you knew what it is ?

We know many gen buyers don't have a clue what to look at a watch to certify it is the real thing, they just have the money and no knowledge about details or watches history.

Even someone rich enough to afford a gen watch can be made of clown.

Have anyone had to justify to a law agent that didn't know was wearing a rep ?

:thinking:

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
You have to proove you bought it in good faith. Meaning if you've paid 300 euros for a 4000 euros watch, you'll have some trouble making them believe in your good faith :)

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
Let me ask you guys something: and if you buy a rep without knowing it is a rep, how they could prove you knew what it is ?

We know many gen buyers don't have a clue what to look at a watch to certify it is the real thing, they just have the money and no knowledge about details or watches history.

Even someone rich enough to afford a gen watch can be made of clown.

Have anyone had to justify to a law agent that didn't know was wearing a rep ?

:thinking:

It doesn't really matter if you know or not. They'll just take it, and destroy it. Even the strict countries that I know of won't prosecute you for coming into the country with a rep on your person, they'll just seize it. It doesn't matter to them if you paid $20 or $20,000, a rep is a rep.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
It doesn't really matter if you know or not. They'll just take it, and destroy it. Even the strict countries that I know of won't prosecute you for coming into the country with a rep on your person, they'll just seize it. It doesn't matter to them if you paid $20 or $20,000, a rep is a rep.

In Switzerland and France you'll need to pay a fine.