• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ultimate Daytona Buying Guide (Ref. 116520/116500)

27/9/16
This helped a lot, going to get the parts after this lockdown is over

thechoppiestgreens

2/4/18
Acquired a Noob v2.2 116500LN some time ago, just waiting for it to come in. In the meantime, I managed to source an ARF white dial, and a CF bezel to be installed afterwards.

I think that the next part that I want for the watch is the ARF bracelet and/or clasp, but I'm unsure as to whether it's the full bracelet (including the clasp) or just the clasp itself that are superior than those used by Noob. I've seen a multitude of opinions in regards to this, and I haven't held both an ARF bracelet and a Noob bracelet together to see what feels closer to gen, same goes for the clasp.

Does anyone who has had both and formed an opinion care to chime-in here? Just debating whether I want to spend a little bit more and have those installed, too. Also, if I did get the full ARF bracelet, I would still use the Noob end links, right? Or is it better to do a full overhaul? I've seen many on this forum and other forums do both options, but I don't have the eye to determine which is the better option. If I did end up getting an ARF bracelet, and I wanted to connect it to the Noob end links, how do you do that? Do I need more tools than just the standard watch screwdrivers?

Feel free to chime-in on anything else regarding this project of mine if you have any suggestions re: other mods to do, or if there are any gen parts that, aesthetically, would make this watch indistinguishable. However, I'm fairly averse to installing gen parts onto my reps, but I would be open to perhaps installing gen hands onto this watch. How much do those usually go for? I can't find any for sale online.

Bellatorseo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/20
but I'm unsure as to whether it's the full bracelet (including the clasp) or just the clasp itself that are superior than those used by Noob.
ive just held the two in my hand for the first time side by side yesterday!. well the noob v3 and the arf v2. ARF is slightly better in overall look and feel,. but the difference is so slight that its hard to quantify and articulate the exact points for me.

now that i finally got my two watched in hand, i am shipping them off to misiekped today to get them modded and serviced.

Reactions: Hilltop

thechoppiestgreens

2/4/18
ive just held the two in my hand for the first time side by side yesterday!. well the noob v3 and the arf v2. ARF is slightly better in overall look and feel,. but the difference is so slight that its hard to quantify and articulate the exact points for me.

now that i finally got my two watched in hand, i am shipping them off to misiekped today to get them modded and serviced.

Congrats on the new watch and parts! I hope that you enjoy it in good health. What kind of mods and services are you having done to it? I hear that many people get the rotor silenced on these watches, is that true?

Bellatorseo

10/3/20
Congrats on the new watch and parts! I hope that you enjoy it in good health. What kind of mods and services are you having done to it? I hear that many people get the rotor silenced on these watches, is that true?

Thanks.

I am getting the full watch serviced. The. I am swapping the dial and bracelet so the ARF is on the noob.

The noob already has a CF bezel.
Also getting on the noob
Gen xtal/gasket.
Gen hands
Gen chrono wheel
Gen hammer
Gen second wheel
Gen clutch

Hoping to be able to do the balance package mike has in the future, but that’s gonna have to wait a bit. And maybe for the second round of mods I can source a gen case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thechoppiestgreens

2/4/18
Thanks.

I am getting the full watch serviced. The. I am swapping the dial and bracelet so the ARF is on the noob.

The noob already has a CF bezel.
Also getting on the noob
Gen xtal/gasket.
Gen hands
Gen chrono wheel
Gen hammer
Gen second wheel
Gen clutch

Hoping to be able to do the balance package mike has in the future, but that’s gonna have to wait a bit. And maybe for the second round of mods I can source a gen case.

That's some project that you have on your hands. Gonna be crazy once it's done. Make sure you post great pictures for us to see! Do the new Noobs have the CF bezel on already, or did you buy it and have your TD install it for you?

Reactions: Bellatorseo

Bellatorseo

10/3/20
That's some project that you have on your hands. Gonna be crazy once it's done. Make sure you post great pictures for us to see! Do the new Noobs have the CF bezel on already, or did you buy it and have your TD install it for you?

Jtime installed if for me before shipping the watch.

Reactions: thechoppiestgreens

Dunhill

Horology Curious
11/12/18
Thank you very very much for condensing, looking to pull the trigger on 116500 panda and this has been extremely useful!

rockdaytona

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
That actually looks really good! If only they would fix the wrong Rolex placement on the dial, this would be a very nice rep

Thanks bro, I think I got a good one. Rolex placement isn’t that bad is it?

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Thanks bro, I think I got a good one. Rolex placement isn’t that bad is it?

Well for most people that know Daytonas, its an instant tell. "Rolex" placement on an 116520 looks different from a 116500. On yours, R is supposed to line up with the T in OYSTER and X is supposed to line up with the T in PERPETUAL. Just google a pic of the 116520 and you will see what i mean.

Basically they used the text design from the 116500 on the 116520

Last edited:

rockdaytona

Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
Well for most people that know Daytonas, its an instant tell. "Rolex" placement on an 116520 looks different from a 116500. On yours, R is supposed to line up with the T in OYSTER and X is supposed to line up with the T in PERPETUAL. Just google a pic of the 116520 and you will see what i mean.

Basically they used the text design from the 116500 on the 116520

Oh man. Maybe I’ll swap out to gen dial. Any value to sell the Noob dial in MTM?

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Oh man. Maybe I’ll swap out to gen dial. Any value to sell the Noob dial in MTM?

I kinda depends on what you want to do with it. You can enjoy it for yourself :) Just dont put pictures up online, you will probably be called out real fast :)

In regards to the used Noob, tbh i have no idea

Reactions: rockdaytona

rockdaytona

Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown
I kinda depends on what you want to do with it. You can enjoy it for yourself :) Just dont put pictures up online, you will probably be called out real fast :)

I can buy a BP dial for $90 or I can buy an ARF v2 for $480, swap the bezel and dial, and sell it for $380.
The ARF route is just more of a headache.

rockdaytona

Supporter
Certified
17/12/19
Parts Unknown

I am going to buy the ARF v2 and swap parts into my Noob. I’ll sell the donor ARF for a discount, $388 on MTM

MrWatch71

Looking Around
12/9/19
I am going to buy the ARF v2 and swap parts into my Noob. I’ll sell the donor ARF for a discount, $388 on MTM

Could you please post the link to the Watch? I have tried to look for it but not luck.
Thanks!!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Reactions: rockdaytona

mayzewin

Supporter
Certified
15/2/20
Thanks for this amazing write-up. I might start a franken hybrid myself in the next few weeks. Does the 116500 Noob dial suffer from the same font mis-alignment or is it just the 520?