• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The official AP Diver discussion thread

Popklister

2/10/11
Ok if you’re asking me to choose one, I’ll recommend the ZF diver. If I have a free choice it’ll be a hybrid between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate! Really want to go for a gen AP but the cost of service is through the roof. A friend of mine sent his 14790 for service and the only option they gave him was to change movement for 5k+... I mean can you even call it semi-vintage?

So I think a mix of jf and zf + low best is good enough :p

Reactions: Lariram

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Thanks mate! Really want to go for a gen AP but the cost of service is through the roof. A friend of mine sent his 14790 for service and the only option they gave him was to change movement for 5k+... I mean can you even call it semi-vintage?

So I think a mix of jf and zf + low best is good enough :p

AP prices are notoriously high when it comes to service and maintenance, its a well known fact.
An ROO GP ceramic bezel can cost $5000 and $4000 for the 42mm ROO ceramic bezel.
Movement service at $1.5-$2k.
Their corporate belief seems to be "well, where the hell else can my customers go for maintenance?" So remove the element from choice from an business equation and prices can (and often will) soar. It is a pretty high-handed way of handling business but from a corporate standpoint, they are not wrong to do so. This is also why a lot of my gen AP collector friends switch to reps. It makes a lot more sense when compared with the maintenance costs of a gen AP. Yes, reps are flawed but so what? A lot of guys here just want a nice watch on their wrists and to hell with accuracy to gen in real life.
The guys wearing the gens and laughing at the rep owner often forget the fundamental fact that the rep guy has saved a typical $20k-$40k for himself by wearing a watch which LOOKS 90-99% close in real life. What matters eventually is not whether any watch is gen or rep, but that it suits the owner and makes him happy at the end of the day. The value of the watch may be in absolute dollars, but the worth of a watch is pretty subjective and unique to each owner.

ChineseGeraldGenta

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
11/3/21
This is a matter of individual preference and not accuracy, based solely on pictorial assumptions:

Basically the ZF will be the base watch but I will use the JF bezel and screws (based on pictorial comparison), and potentially datewheel. I have not seen the ZF datewheel on any other date besides 28 so I really cannot compare. This is essentially nitpicking anyway, I like the ZF release and prefer it over the JF one.

What is significantly better about ZF that makes it better than JF, if JF has superior bezel and screws (pretty significant right?)

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
^the differences are subtle and if you can’t see them yourself then they’re just academic. Don’t waste your time looking that much into it. Pick one, buy it and enjoy it for what it is. No need to stress.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: Lariram

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
^the differences are subtle and if you can’t see them yourself then they’re just academic. Don’t waste your time looking that much into it. Pick one, buy it and enjoy it for what it is. No need to stress.

Sent from the RWI App

And maybe coming v11 completely new dial and Lume , oh I no need v10 .

ChineseGeraldGenta

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
11/3/21

Sent from the RWI App

Well it's hard to tell from pics on TD sites sometimes, maybe there is a noticeable difference i'm not capturing? legend made it sound like there was something significant if the ZF is better by default and can be further improved over the JF by using a JF bezel

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
Well it's hard to tell from pics on TD sites sometimes, maybe there is a noticeable difference i'm not capturing? legend made it sound like there was something significant if the ZF is better by default and can be further improved over the JF by using a JF bezel

Both reps look good , it’s two different year models very sad no comparison for ZF , KSwatches share JF vs Gen look great , the issue now hands lume for both makers, and big hall in JF hands.

zoiks

Known Member
14/2/13
From my experience way back when i was sporting a V3.5.. nobody really brings a microscope to scrutinize your watch..:p it's really how you carry it and how comfortable are you in wearing it.. so just enjoy whatever you buy.. be it either ZF or JF..

Reactions: jasonbaylee

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
From my experience way back when i was sporting a V3.5.. nobody really brings a microscope to scrutinize your watch..:p it's really how you carry it and how comfortable are you in wearing it.. so just enjoy whatever you buy.. be it either ZF or JF..

exemplary attitude indeed.
The main tells are always in the eyes and mind of the wearer and he sees what he sees.
I do agree that it is always in the way the owner carries and presents himself. The watch is always just an accessory and part of his image.
However I do get it that owners want their watches to look and feel a certain way and this is very subjective and individual.
I have seen and engaged with, in real life, guys wearing low end reps who get my respect and guys wearing gens who are obnoxious (and not Spitfire63 it wasn't a mirror lol)
I agree with you that how one carries himself is very important in this hobby, and in life.

Reactions: Allure and Lariram

Lariram

Renowned Member
24/2/16
This hubby need very long Patience, some maker not release ultimate version to collect more money v1 to v15 , for me I will waiting maybe v11 JF or ZF v2 no more .

I agree Repworld, all Hubbies need very long Patience.