• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The mighty Oceanographic 4000 (beginners review)

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Hi
I got this "little" buddy reacently and decide to share some pics and comments. I also took a close look at it at the AD to tell slightest difference and actually i could not tell them apart at first look the lume was the teller but hardly.

So here we go:

img0224gl.jpg

The double colorless ar on the 6.5 mm thick saphire is the best i ever seen some times when i look at it i think i lost the crystal! Also all the H-screws are identical on the bezel. Amazing!

img0223nc.jpg

The crown at 2 for setting the inner bezel is screw down and have left going ratchet or some type of slipspring to avoid moving the bezel while screw down the crown. Both crown is rubberclad! Could not find any differece here in the look or feeling when operating the funktion.

img0222x.jpg

The watch is massive 22 mm thick and have correct HE valve molded in the composite side. Old version i seen before is 15 or 18mm thick have drilled holes in the compisite side with H-screw that looks really bad,

img0221tr.jpg

The strap is absolut amazing no scent of vannilla is ad just as the gen. It scares dust away :) and the titanium buckle is also way different than the old version i seen screwed with really nice H-screws here too.

img0220i.jpg

The crown guard at 2 have exact spacing down to the crown when itfully screwed down and it have a nice and good click when open or closed.

img0219yr.jpg

Now the case back with proper engravings and sandblasted finish in the track for the key to open the case, most others have the prototype Big King Diver caseback showed at HublotTV. Its also very thick (some thing to do with the 4000m waterproofing on gen i think) Amazed again!

img0218yl.jpg

The case is full titanium and compisite sides wich make this enormous watch quite light and comfortable to wear. The release buttons is sandblasted finish also the sunken bezel areas and sides are sandblasted and it gives little darker color to the titanium. The strap change mechanism works very smooth also same touch as the gen.

img0227qv.jpg

And the lume super bright green that is close but not 100% even to the gen. The blurry on photo is just the autofocus on my camera in nightmode. It have sharp edges. Maby i want to relume it anyway to get it light up as the green sun... :lol:

Let me know your ideas about this monster that could scare the great whites out of the ocean :)

Lelouch

I'm Pretty Popular
18/8/11
This is a gen Oceanographic 4000M right? I've never seen a rep 4000 with that back. But your lum tells another story. Anyways, great pictures!

dslmkr

Renowned Member
Certified
3/4/06
what a beauty ... who did you get this from....

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Its a replica but the best i have seen so far, even the movement was amazing, engraved skelleton rotor with steel center bearring and rhodium plated bridges with H-engravings :) I got it from a seller that is not in the trusted dealers on RWI for a bit over 500$ so i will not promote any dealer here untill a moderator says it is ok.

Now i am going to turn off the light and have the lume guiding me back to bed. Good night!

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Yes it is the V6 or 1:1 version. Any who knows a trusted dealer that sell this version?

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Decorated movement? That was unexpected :)

How about the movement of seconds hand? Smooth or rather choppy one (non regular steps)?

So far I can see only one flaw (except slightly different lume, as mentioned here) cheaper method of crown protection replication. The protection of 2'o clock crown consists of two elements, a clamp and a ring. Look at the gen:

Hublot+Oceanographic+4000+%25286%2529.jpg

On a gen, the clamp "eats" into the ring; it doesn't look the same on our rep...

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Yeah the movement is under a thick plate of titanium and need not to be decorated. Actually little choppy but i will change it for a top grade swiss eta 7750 and use the automatic bridge and rotor from the A7750.

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
(...) Actually little choppy but i will change it for a top grade swiss eta 7750 and use the automatic bridge and rotor from the A7750.

Wow.. please confirm when your replace movements since I heard the hands/dial are not considered the same between gen ETA 7750 and A7750. Maybe it is a myth only... Anyway, awaiting my diver, QC photos already accepted ;)

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
Nice post... just got this watch as well, not sure if mine is the older model.

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
That appears to be the old version with a new caseback? The HE valve is a real fakebuster. It have drilled hole and have no molded edges around the screw. Also its a H-screw instead of a real HE valve.

The major difference between the versions is
1. HE valve design
2. Thickness 18 vs. 22 mm
3. Screw down crown for the bezel mechanism.
4. The caseback? (may have ben fixed on some like the one you post)
5. Movement (new full decorated A7750 stunning vs ordinary A2824 on the old)
6. Crystal thickness 6,5 mm on new and about 5 mm on the old

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
Do you have a picture of the new movement?

That appears to be the old version with a new caseback? The HE valve is a real fakebuster. It have drilled hole and have no molded edges around the screw. Also its a H-screw instead of a real HE valve.

The major difference between the versions is
1. HE valve design
2. Thickness 18 vs. 22 mm
3. Screw down crown for the bezel mechanism.
4. The caseback? (may have ben fixed on some like the one you post)
5. Movement (new full decorated A7750 stunning vs ordinary A2824 on the old)
6. Crystal thickness 6,5 mm on new and about 5 mm on the old

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Wow.. please confirm when your replace movements since I heard the hands/dial are not considered the same between gen ETA 7750 and A7750. Maybe it is a myth only... Anyway, awaiting my diver, QC photos already accepted ;)

It is no problem with the hands for many reasons. The 7750 in this have no chrono and will not reset (minimal force on hands) also if the hand tubes is to small it can easy be increased 0,05 mm with a broach or squeezed together the same 0.05 mm with a jewelpress if to big. Also the dial legs can be moved and resolderd with a special machine but i dont think i need to go that far.

I will post when its done (can take a while cause top grade ETA 7750 is hard to get and quite expensive 1000$+++ what i have seen.

Do you have a picture of the new movement?

Not the greatest pic but i hope you enjoy! :)

img0229oq.jpg

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
It passed the 100M test with no problem on a Greiner machine poseidon ( I regrease the gaskets first)

WOW!!

I am impressed and a little surprised. It looks like a watch where the water can creep in in many places, but based on what you have said here they really have got it right this time.

:) :) :)