• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Best Replica AP Ever

pfdamion876

5/5/13
Surprised to hear some have fallen out of love with the ss diver. Try some different color straps, it brings new life to such a beautiful and versatile watch.

elusive1

I'm Pretty Popular
5/12/15
Ive got red and yellow rubber straps to pair with it!

Surprised to hear some have fallen out of love with the ss diver. Try some different color straps, it brings new life to such a beautiful and versatile watch.

elusive1

I'm Pretty Popular
5/12/15
high end luxury cars depreciate so fast and have such high maintenance costs it simply isnt as practical to own them compared to owning high end watches. Lucky for me I live in NYC and don't need nor want a car.

I use to think the same way. A guy I used to work with a lot was always wearing a B&R watch on daily basis. Then one time we had a formal dinner and he was wearing an RM11. He drives an 08 CL550 that he bought brand new and his daily is a GL. He is in his 50's and lives in about 1.5 mil house in a very prestige area. That's just one example. The RM is worth about 3 times that car value. Not everyone who owns a 80k+ watch is going to be driving Phantoms and Aventadors.

umaxim

13/6/15
I use to think the same way. A guy I used to work with a lot was always wearing a B&R watch on daily basis. Then one time we had a formal dinner and he was wearing an RM11. He drives an 08 CL550 that he bought brand new and his daily is a GL. He is in his 50's and lives in about 1.5 mil house in a very prestige area. That's just one example. The RM is worth about 3 times that car value. Not everyone who owns a 80k+ watch is going to be driving Phantoms and Aventadors.

Agreed... I've also changed my POV on this, like you did, since I wrote that post last year... and after more observation of my wealthy friends... watches fall in jewelry category and can surely exceed cost of the car, as such... still CL550 is 100K car - at that level it levels out.... if you friend was driving an old honda civic and spotting genuine RM11, that would be strange :)... I guess after certain point a lux car is a lux car...

metalaphid

Known Member
5/5/15
if you friend was driving an old honda civic and spotting genuine RM11, that would be strange :)...
not if you live in Singapore where a Honda Civic cost USD 100K flat. no kidding. it's mad to own a car in Singapore. I always think a watch (even a 20+k gen piece) is a better ownership of luxury item than to a car in a place as such..

lovesRM

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
8/10/16
not if you live in Singapore where a Honda Civic cost USD 100K flat. no kidding. it's mad to own a car in Singapore. I always think a watch (even a 20+k gen piece) is a better ownership of luxury item than to a car in a place as such..

Don't you guys also have to bid or pay each year to get a permit to own a car in the first place which is around 100k as well?

metalaphid

Known Member
5/5/15
haha, not that much/frequently, but you got the idea right. there's this 10-year permit that car-owners NEED to purchase to drive on the road. it costs about 30-60k usd (depending on # of bidders and quota released;demand-supply equilibrium). after the 10 year, either renew or have to scrap the car (at 10-year straight line depreciation value).
AND the car itself isn't cheap, even without the permit, it's about 45-50k usd for the cost of a honda civic or equivalent japanese 1.6 litre saloon car.

I actually made a simple calculation, it'd cost about 200k sgd (about 145k usd) to own and maintain (petrol, insurance, parking, maintenence, etc) a civic or equivalent for 10 years. that would cost about 40usd/day (USD 145,000/3650 days) to use a car. <--- i can buy a rep 15400 from TD every week!! ROFL!!!

simply lol, i'd be happy wearing a gen AP diver more than 10k usd, and take cab everyday everywhere(who'd spend that much taking cab in a place smaller than NYC anyway) and still have more savings for other stuff. :laugh:

Don't you guys also have to bid or pay each year to get a permit to own a car in the first place which is around 100k as well?

kevin.123

Renowned Member
12/8/14
haha, not that much/frequently, but you got the idea right. there's this 10-year permit that car-owners NEED to purchase to drive on the road. it costs about 30-60k usd (depending on # of bidders and quota released;demand-supply equilibrium). after the 10 year, either renew or have to scrap the car (at 10-year straight line depreciation value).
AND the car itself isn't cheap, even without the permit, it's about 45-50k usd for the cost of a honda civic or equivalent japanese 1.6 litre saloon car.

I actually made a simple calculation, it'd cost about 200k sgd (about 145k usd) to own and maintain (petrol, insurance, parking, maintenence, etc) a civic or equivalent for 10 years. that would cost about 40usd/day (USD 145,000/3650 days) to use a car. <--- i can buy a rep 15400 from TD every week!! ROFL!!!

simply lol, i'd be happy wearing a gen AP diver more than 10k usd, and take cab everyday everywhere(who'd spend that much taking cab in a place smaller than NYC anyway) and still have more savings for other stuff. [emoji23]
The sad truth about living in Singapore.
When even driving is a luxury itself.
[emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

lovesRM

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
8/10/16

simply lol, i'd be happy wearing a gen AP diver more than 10k usd, and take cab everyday everywhere(who'd spend that much taking cab in a place smaller than NYC anyway) and still have more savings for other stuff. :laugh:

It's crazy. I know a few people who drive R8's and Gallardo's in SG and just remembered one of them telling me about the permits.
I thought Thailand has crazy car prices with the 300% tax but SG is just out of this world.

metalaphid

Known Member
5/5/15
lol, I think owning watches are so much more justified.
I don't see driving as a luxury, but more of a real-life horror: pay sooo much to incur road rages, frequent worries on lack of parking lots, and speeding fines. lol

definitely rather kick back and enjoy the watch while taking a ride on any public mode of transportation. :D

The sad truth about living in Singapore.
When even driving is a luxury itself.
[emoji23] [emoji23]

haha yea, imagine how much their R8's and Gallardo's cost them. Not forgetting SG house prices too.

It's crazy. I know a few people who drive R8's and Gallardo's in SG and just remembered one of them telling me about the permits.
I thought Thailand has crazy car prices with the 300% tax but SG is just out of this world.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
#OT

Uber, grab, reg taxi...who df needs car in Singapore ...Only the rich ;)

I contemplated long term renting/leasing for a while when i was living "far" (in relation to SG standards) from office; then it turned out, calcs in hand, I could take 4 taxi a day and still it would be cheaper

My local friends do something like this: they (their dealers) source cars which are 1 year / 10months to end of COE; it is a less than 10 year old car and you can still find something big and decent. You have to pay them CASH and 10 months later you scrap them and recoup of good part of the upfront payment. Dealer would give you basic warranty for the year/months. Then after 10 months/1 year new car again.. Yet, it turns out to be a ~1000SGD/month investment. Add to that petrol, parking and road-tolls. And stupid drivers all around.
Crazy.

/OT

metalaphid

Known Member
5/5/15
exactly!

even the rich in singapore actually DON'T buy new cars. i've a friend who live in prime estate and he's got two sports cars (think exotic european), one paid for by his company and the other second hand. these riches are smart, they don't pay full retail.
only middle-class who find the need to "place-their-branded-car-keys-on-dining-tables" (read: stupids flaunting their "wealth") buy brand new cars..

and i also heard of friends who do the same as you described, buy a <1yr left, then scrap for leftover-value, and repeat. spend a fraction of what new car owners do. it's expensive, but at least not as exp..

our friends here who're not from Singapore wouldn't understand this.
I actually heard a US colleague said to another colleague in the elevator aloud: hey, this is the carpark level, unless you're stupid and weak, you don't get off this level. I chuckled a little when a local slipped out of the elevator to the carpark sheepishly. LOL

#OT

Uber, grab, reg taxi...who df needs car in Singapore ...Only the rich ;)

I contemplated long term renting/leasing for a while when i was living "far" (in relation to SG standards) from office; then it turned out, calcs in hand, I could take 4 taxi a day and still it would be cheaper

My local friends do something like this: they (their dealers) source cars which are 1 year / 10months to end of COE; it is a less than 10 year old car and you can still find something big and decent. You have to pay them CASH and 10 months later you scrap them and recoup of good part of the upfront payment. Dealer would give you basic warranty for the year/months. Then after 10 months/1 year new car again.. Yet, it turns out to be a ~1000SGD/month investment. Add to that petrol, parking and road-tolls. And stupid drivers all around.
Crazy.

/OT

lovesRM

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
8/10/16
Back to topic.

1.) JF FC 44mm
2.) JF Panda 44mm
3.) JF Rose Gold best edition 44mm.
4.) JF Panda (entire white) Ceramic 44mm

Not interested in divers but those make my current favorite AP's.

Reactions: SBM

iwantaprettywatch

Known Member
1/8/16
Found this gem of a thread and would like to call out on all AP experts to give their revised opinions again regarding their top AP "closest to gen" reps. The rep game has progressed and it'd be really interesting to see how the tier list has changed. Ideally, it would be great if everyone shared their top 5s along with more specific comments like best OOTB / best after mods (relevant mods)

llvicente1023

31/8/17
1.) JF FC 44mm
2.) JF Schumacher Ti
3.) JF 15400
4.) JF Bumblebee
5.) Noob RB 2 Ti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ossi

30/4/15
I don’t get it why everybody thinks this 7750 reps are good watches. Yes, they look stunning but at what cost? A movement that is likely to fail after 6-12 months.. no thank you.

IMHO the best reps are the divers, because they are reliable!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Reactions: stoyania

llvicente1023

31/8/17
I don’t get it why everybody thinks this 7750 reps are good watches. Yes, they look stunning but at what cost? A movement that is likely to fail after 6-12 months.. no thank you.

IMHO the best reps are the divers, because they are reliable!

Then buy another one. Lol. Divers are reliable tho very dry and boring except the new XF releases

ossi

30/4/15
Then buy another one. Lol. Divers are reliable tho very dry and boring except the new XF releases

I had two 7750, one gold RubberClad and one fully modded 44mm FC. Both died in good time. Never again! But that’s what i wrote: IMHO ;-)

SBM

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
25/1/17
ossi
Did you service the movement of your 7750s?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk