• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 4500V Reps are here and they are good! What to look for in your QC.

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
The good news is that there are some decent 4500V reps at different price points. The bad news is that they each come with some inconsistent and problematic quality control. I'm creating this post hoping to make a quick reference for what we've seen thus far as QC issues from the factories. This will focus on the 8F version and the ZF version. This is mainly because the 8F and TWF versions are at comparable price points and when 8F is hitting the right spots, it's a better rep than TWF. Please share any QC things to keep an eye on that I may have missed. I've owned both 8F and ZF watches now and I have to say that IMO the ZF is the better watch, albeit with a heftier price tag.

8F Common issues:
-The dial cross can be poorly defined and "blobby". 8F is able to deliver watches with crisp, well-defined dial crosses, so if this is a sticking point for you, be aware of it
-The dial cross can be poorly centered relative to the 12 marker

-The case shape is inconsistent. There are some very rounded cases that 8F delivers that balloon out much more than the gen. They have delivered samples with good case shapes. The unfortunate thing is that often the fat case samples have good crosses, while the good cases have blobby crosses.

-Bracelet can have incorrect hallmarks stating Au750 instead of Stainless Steel. They can deliver bracelets with the correct hallmarks, and have.

ZF Common issues:
-The dials are often rotated counter clockwise a few degrees from straight. You can check your dial by looking at the indices relative to the bezel and making sure that everything is even and spaced correctly. You can also check relative to the crown, but sometimes perspective can make the crown not look properly centered relative to the indices. Of course, the first technique only works if the bezel is straight, which brings me to....
-There have been several examples with crooked bezels. This would be a tricky thing to fix on your own. Check for this by looking at where the bracelet attached to the watch relative to the opening on the bezel cross. The bracelet attachment should be evenly centered in the opening on the bezel cross

-The dial cross can be crooked or off-center

-The position of the date in the date window can be off center, too high, or too low

Again, both of these factories can and have delivered great watches, just know what to look for. If anyone has anything else to add, please do!

Cgentile

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/2/21
ZF is the first factory where the cross on the dial is beveled also. Bracelet also has quick release on ZF vs 8f is more of a gamble as you mentioned.

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
I think a lot of the "bulbous" 8F 4500Vs might actually be the similar TWF version. All of those I've seen look like turtles :D.

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
Reactions: Freoguitar

GoffredoMameli

Horology Curious
19/9/21
You're right. Furthermore, I asked to Andrew and it doesn't have quick release strap.
Still any buyable VC 4500v.

bombina

Known Member
17/8/15
From all the ZF QC photos I have seen (have one on order, still need to receive it), the dial in invariably rotated, but the fix is relatively simple from what I have seen. As long as the bezel is centered and the indexes/cross on the dial are aligned, I wouldn't RL a slightly rotated dial. All you have to do is pop off the case-back, loosen the three outer screws and rotate until centered. Why they can't get this correct at the factory is beyond me, but it is what it is.

Olivier bond

Known Member
24/5/22
hi evrybody it's seems that on screw is missing on the back of the zf at position 5.00 in all the new series.(cf my CQ today from my TD.)They call zf and ZF agree. Did you knew that?????

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Update time, installed the silver dial now:

z7rA4D.jpg

^^ Gen on right. Gen always on right in following pics.
zNr90o.jpg

^^ZF dial lacks deep black of the blackened white gold indices on gen. They look almost gray at most angles.
zNr1Pk.jpg

^^ Gen indices darker, cross has better bevels on gen
zNryoD.jpg

^^ gen is darker again
zNrOgY.jpg

^^ gen is darker. However overall conclusion is that gen dial isn't NEEDED but is a wonderful upgrade.
z7rh3s.jpg

^^ sanded dial feet down :(
z7Kwo1.jpg

^^ Rotor has a sticker on top, as with most Miyota 9015 reps. I remove it when working on the watch as it doesn't put unnecessary pressure on the rotor that can sometimes be sloppily pressed in.
z7rWSP.jpg

^^ some people use glue, I like dial stickers
z7r2yY.jpg

^^ Hour hand hits the indices as a default. I had to slightly bend the collar so the hour hand barely cleared all indices. I noticed it had difficulty at the bigger indices of 12, 6 and 9. As a result the other 3 hands had to be adjusted to accommodate as well.
z7r5mo.jpg

All ready to go
z7rLck.jpg

z7rUCJ.jpg