• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tequila!!!!!

relayman

12/9/09
Any time is Tequila time. With the warmer weather coming add a little ice if you wish, or continue to enjoy straight up and neat as they say. The better Tequilas should never be mixed.

I prefer the Anejo varieties. Others the Blancos or the Reposados. Just make sure that your tequila is 100% agave. There are many Mixtos (blended) that are allowed to be labeled tequila. Probably the most well known brand would be the Jose Cuervo Especial. Note that the label says made with blue agave, no claim of 100% agave. IMMHO most of the Mixtos will kill you or at the very least leave you wishing you were dead after an evening of indulgence. Stick with the good 100% agave tequilas. No headaches and reasonable hang overs if you do over indulge.

Unfortunately, because of the surge in popularity the price of good tequila continues to rise. In the USA it is hard to find a good 100% agave tequila under $20 - $25. You will probably need to spend around $30 for a reasonably good product. There are many brands in that price range. In the world of tequilas there are the elite and their prices are staggering; several hundred to a thousand or more dollars per bottle. On the rare occasions that I have been able to sample the top end tequilas I found them to be very very good, but my palate is just not sophisticated enough to distinguish them from the excellent brands available in the $50 per bottle price range.

In the USA the Don Julio Anejo, and the Patron Anejo are two very good anejos in the $50 price range. The Don Julio has a little more citrus and smokey flavor than the Patron, but both are very smooth. At $40 the Sauza brand Tres Generaciones Anejo will compare very favorably with the more expensive tequilas.

For my money the Sauza tequilas are hard to beat. They make the only mixto that I could recommend in good conscience and that is their Anejo Conmemorativo. Smooth enough to enjoy straight up and excellent in margaritas.

Hopefully there will be some more tequila enthusiasts that will share their preferences.

A good margarita is easy: Mix equal parts (For the hearty souls, double the tequila)

Tequila - 100% agave (choose blanco, reposado, or anejo per your taste)
Rosy's Lime Juice
Cointreau
Grand Marnier
Squeeze of lemon to taste (I like for mine to have a little pucker power)
Mix with crushed ice or run it through your blender.
Salt or no salt (your preference)
Garnish with a wedge of lime or lemon

:jerry:

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
My current favorite tequila is the Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia:

images

It's a dark tequila and quite sweet, like a good rum. Definitely for sipping, not shooting. A bit pricey at ~$90 a bottle around here, though.

tetzumaru

24/10/08
just had some while watching the bounty hunter gerard butler and jennifer anniston, she's smokin hot! cuervo with jose quervo tequila mix and sprinkled it with tequila salt and a slice of lemoon

tomhorn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/08
Tequila ... the stuff of lengendary events, or the cause of the just plain stupid things that people do. My top 5:
1. Aha Toro Reposado ... respect the bull, and keep the hand-blown bottle after you are done. Can be found north of the border as Aha Yeto, but there's something about Mexico.
2. Don Julio Anejo ... my favorite of the easy to finds.
3. 1921 Reposado
4. Cielo Reposado ... maybe even better than the Anejo from the same distillery, but they are both very good.
5. Asom Broso ... the only 'blanco' on my list ... great stuff if you can get past the bottle that looks like a penis.

relayman

12/9/09
Fakey, this is probably the only time I will ever be able to say no I don't think so. Mezcal is not good tequila. Sorry, it is really poison mixed with God knows what.

Tomhorn thanks for the suggestions, don't know if I can get past the penis bottle or not. We'll see.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I didn't say good...:biglaugh:

And Tequila is a form of Mezcal. Mezcal cannot be called a form of Tequila.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I have a bottle of Don German that I brought back from Vallarta. The three year old stuff.

I think it's unavailable in the States. Anybody know if it's actually being imported and to where?

It's a long drive to the place where I bought it!

relayman

12/9/09
That's just it TB a lot of the good stuff never makes it north of the border, but many brands do, and that is the real purpose of this post. Come on you guys in Texas and California how about sharing some of your secret brands with the rest of us?
:jerry::jerry:

tomhorn

11/8/08
The Aha Toro I mentioned is very difficult to find NOTB ... :)

izebulon

2/1/09
never a fan of the standard jose quervo, tended too syrupy for me. I favored the sauza. Can't remember which company does tres generationes, but it is a nice offer

relayman

12/9/09
Sauza produces the Tres Generaciones Blanco, Reposada, and the Anejo. In my opinion they are among the better top shelf tequilas for sure. The Anejo is one of my favorites straight up with maybe a wedge of lemon or lime.

Oh yeah, what time is it? Is it close to tequila time yet?

jwortho

18/9/08
Been a Tequila snob/drinker for decades. The bar downstairs has 23 bottles of Tequila and not one mixtos. Love them all - just depends on the occasion.

Anything from Herradura is excellent and available everywhere. The Selectione Supreme is like a fine cognac

Likewise Don Julio, where the 1942 is excellent without a ridiculous price, whereas DJ Real is just f'n "un"Real but a ridiculous price.

Patron is OK across the board but the platinum exceptional.

Perfidio is legal again (no longer filtered through wormwood) but an acquired taste.

Cuervo Family Reserve Anejo is very good but the platinum is not among my favourites

If you can find Chamucas reposada - muey buen.

And lastly, the much praised Sombra - Mezcal is like paint thinner.

relayman

12/9/09
Exactly, I have found that the Mezcals all fall somewhere between turpentine and creosote. Yet the worm gets the press and tequila the bad rep.

Gotta see if I can find some of that Chamucas, I bet it will be another one that I will like straight up.

And as you noted, if all else is dry, the Don Julio is outstanding. My personal favorite is the Anejo. Very hard to beat.

john442

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/4/10
The Cold Canadian North
I havnt had tequila for over 20 years, due to some bad over-indulgences with the cheap jose cuervo or mezcal(with worm) when i was a young party'r. Ohhh the bad hangover memories.!
I got back from Cabo San Lucas a month ago, where i got a chance to be schooled on "good 100% Agave" tequila. Kinda like the "repasado". I brought back 2 bottles of El Jimador Repasodo and a good Anejo 1820. I liked the anejo just over ice with a few slices of lime on the side. The repasado went well in margaritas.

Tried a few margaritas and fell in love with one over ice (not blendered). I cant believe how a good tequila will not give me a killer hangover. I am sold!
I have a great Margarita recipe that is an exact taste copy of the ones I had in Cabo.
Very simple to make, trust me its great.......try it.

In a pitcher add these 5 ingredients-
1-12oz can Frozen Limade (Mccain, Old south , etc)
1-12oz Tequila(use empty can for measurer)
1-12oz can of 7-up (or 1/2can water 1/2can 7-up for tarter flavor)
1- 12 bottle of Corona (MUST be Corona for the flavor..trust me)

Mix together and serve over ice on a salt-rimmed glass....Enjoy.

The first time I was given this recipe, I thought " no way!" It is now wayyy to easy to whip up a pitcher of margaritas. I have even had a few glasses tonite while surfing RWI.

Enjoy

kilo225

27/8/09
Patrón baby!! Patrón Añejo, Patrón Reposado, Patrón Silver its all good.

Captain Morgan

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/8/10
try this:

corralejo reposado.
Centenario
Jimador

and thats it.

the other tequilas like patron and those... are BS... nothing like a true mexican tequila, REALLY.

all those tequilas (export) are precisely that, not for mexican market, they´re made with an agave that´s not as powerfull tasting as the mexican market agave.

This export agave/tequila is newly bred to satisfy a younger market. More "patron style"

c´mon guys... tequila is made for "machos" lol. not for crappy ass rap singers.

I work as an exports manager for a big liqueur brand. i know what i´m talking about.

POTR

29/8/07
This is the good stuff...

Gran Centenario Azul Gran Reserva
GCA-GR.jpg

GCA-GR-TT.jpg