• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Telling people it's a rep...

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
. . . and that as a tourist in a foreign country known for "guns" . . .

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
I didn't approach him, I was just standing there and he got out of the car right in from of me. And what's the difference between saying "nice Richard Mille" and "nice watch"?

You guys are making it sound like I committed some faux pas, but I was just complimenting a guy on his watch.
You mean no harm, I understand. But then not everyone enjoys such a compliment, especially Japanese and/or Korean. They have a completely different culture.

Reactions: Karbon74

konwheeler

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/24
I've only had a few people say to me "nice watch" to which I say thank you, followed by "what are you wearing?"

I don't say it's a rep. The very few time I've done this, the person looks at me strangely and when I try to explain the hobby more questions ensue, some of which seem kind of dumb to be honest.

So to me it's not worth getting into, most people don't understand this hobby.
Exactly the same. I either wear AP, PP, RM and most of them don't know them anyway. So I just say thanks and show 'em the brand. Sometimes I show them the caseback as well. 99,9% of people will see it's not a Rolex and move on.

• Haha
Reactions: Horace_Derwent

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Exactly the same. I either wear AP, PP, RM and most of them don't know them anyway. So I just say thanks and show 'em the brand. Sometimes I show them the caseback as well. 99,9% of people will see it's not a Rolex and move on.

Howe true !

This is a niche hobby; how many regular people will recognize a VC Patrimony ? OR any AP which is not a Royal Oak ? Or....anything that is not Rolex ?

konwheeler

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/24
Howe true !

This is a niche hobby; how many regular people will recognize a VC Patrimony ? OR any AP which is not a Royal Oak ? Or....anything that is not Rolex ?
Yup, just make a poll and go around asking random people to tell you an expensive watch brand, everyone will just blurt out "rolex"

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
I get called out on a daily basis, mostly when I’m handing over BigMac Large Fries and a strawberry milkshake through the drive through window and the customer says…… efff me!! You must be putting in some overtime to save up enough that Richard Mille Romain Grosjean you’re wearing….

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I get called out on a daily basis, mostly when I’m handing over BigMac Large Fries and a strawberry milkshake through the drive through window and the customer says…… efff me!! You must be putting in some overtime to save up enough that Richard Mille Romain Grosjean you’re wearing….
Undercover boss? 😂

Foomanstu

Professional watch wearer.
3/2/23
San Antonio, TX
If an average person is skeptical regarding a rep watch, when the see the transparent rear case and the mechanism inside the will likely be convinced that it's a gen. Not that we need to convince anyone but most folks have never seen the transparent rear of a luxury watch. It is a cool feature to behold.

Reactions: Got20Mate

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
If an average person is skeptical regarding a rep watch, when the see the transparent rear case and the mechanism inside the will likely be convinced that it's a gen. Not that we need to convince anyone but most folks have never seen the transparent rear of a luxury watch. It is a cool feature to behold.

Display caseback of a Seagull 1963
Not a rep. Cost me less that 200€.
One of my fave watches

DrGran

7/3/17
Ultima Thule

Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. MT

• Haha
Reactions: Pickledbeetroot

Art Vandelay

Supporter
Certified
21/3/23
Where the buffalo roam
going norwood teague GIF

And then Steve Martin busts out his Piaget Polo 8273 18k gold piece.

Edit: PS classic movie.

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I'd be lying if I hadn't put in a lot of time looking for that Steve Martin piece without paying over the odds, purely for nostalgia

• Haha
Reactions: Art Vandelay