• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Telling people it's a rep...

rek00001

24/4/13
I've only had a few people say to me "nice watch" to which I say thank you, followed by "what are you wearing?"

I don't say it's a rep. The very few time I've done this, the person looks at me strangely and when I try to explain the hobby more questions ensue, some of which seem kind of dumb to be honest.

So to me it's not worth getting into, most people don't understand this hobby.

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
going norwood teague GIF

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Enjoy what you like and just don't overthink it. Only fellow watch lovers will even question the authenticity of it, but even then, unless they're into high end reps would they be able to tell? I've been into reps for years and even I can't tell 😂

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
but apparently topic like this generate pages of response.
Maybe we should have a monthly therapeutic & counseling session, with guest speaker like dr Phil?, on how to deal with the guilty/dirty feeling for buying a fake.
if you feel guilty buying a rep usually it means you care what others think I'd think.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
DE
Do you tell people your watch is not genuine, or pass it as real?
Do you tell people how long is your dick? Or has any of your friends asked this question?

I don't understand why others would talk about your watch unless you bring it up first, or you're in a social circle no one can afford a $10k watch so they are wondering how come you can have one. Otherwise, I couldn't see there is a good chance people gonna ask you, considering this is not a completely polite question for an acquaintance.

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh
Do you tell people how long is your dick? Or has any of your friends asked this question?

I don't understand why others would talk about your watch unless you bring it up first, or you're in a social circle no one can afford a $10k watch so they are wondering how come you can have one. Otherwise, I couldn't see there is a good chance people gonna ask you, considering this is not a completely polite question for an acquaintance.
can't say this better myself.......

Reactions: MaximillianGT

john442

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/4/10
The Cold Canadian North
I never wear a rep that is ridiculously expensive in gen, like over $25k, so it not outside of what i can afford.
If someone asks me if it real, my standard response is " I hope so!" or ill take it off and hand it to them and say "you tell me".
Either way I have not lied to them, Lol and I have never had someone call me out, they usually just hand it back and say wow, that's nice.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
That's the key. The wearer of a watch is the greatest tell. If a kid that bags groceries or works at Starducks flashes a $25K watch, let alone a Richard Mille, we all know it's a fake. But if a middle-aged chap wears a $15K watch, we don't know that.

rek00001

24/4/13
I recently stayed at the Kahala Resort in Hawaii, it borders on a legendary golf course, the Wai'kalai.

I'm standing outside the front door and this Japanese guy gets out of an Uber with his luggage and clubs. I notice he's wearing a Richard Mille, first one I've seen in the wild.

I say "nice Richard Mille", he looks at me, then down, embarrassed is the only way I would call it, and mutters thank you. Not a peep after that. I'm wearing a Cartier Santos.

So, his behavior - is he thinking "oh shit he knows how much this costs, or I'm wearing a fake and I hope he can't tell."

I though it was interesting.

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
While this (silly) question was discussed to death; why do you feel the need to tell people 'it is a fake' ?

I mean, in the first place who asks you this questions, 90% + of the times, doesn't EVEN KNOW what he is asking.

I posted months ago a real story , i re post here :

some years ago i was at a wedding (150 people), the father of the bride (a self proclamed 'watch expert' who in reality can only distinguish Rolex and a few others) noticed my 39 mm 15300 AP RO ...a Mid Tier Rep.

After the - long - lunch and after several glasses of Champagne, Bellini and Cognac he asked me if he can 'try' it.
Of course he asked me this just beacuse it was a Royal Oak, that, with the Nautilus /Aquanaut anbd Rolexes, are generally THE ONLY watches the regular Joe knows.

Being an 80 years old, and a self -proclamed 'expert', i pass it to him.

He wore it with satisfaction, and when he remove it from thwwrist, he instantly check the caliber with the naked eye under the sun and say out loud : this is the Real Thing, this is a fantastic watch :D !!
Well, not only this man offers me 8k € (i swear it is TRUE, i refused ) for it on the spot; but i notice that he DOESN'T EVEN KNOW THE MODEL !!!
For him it was a good price for a RO because...he doen't even know the COST ! The last watches he purchased at the time (an used DayDate ) was 5k €, so he thought that 8k € was a correct amount !

He called the mighty Royal Oak...'the OCTAGON' !!! :ROFLMAO: 🤡 :D
Really, not a single time he spelled 'Royal Oak'....i 'teached' him that that watch with the famous shape...it is the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak !

So, if a 80 YO guy (which owns some Bulovas, an Eberhard ,a Gen Daytona, a Gen PP Ellipse and a few others cheap Gens ) cannot even recognize the mighty Royal Oak...what about other Maisons?

What i mean is that if i had with me a Chopard or Ulysse Nardin or Glashutte Original or Blancpain or others niche brands , 100 % it would have passed as GEN .
Also because i know a bit about watches, and when somebody is informed like me , it became a little difficult to argue...it is my word against theirs.
Plus, a LOT of watches can be purchased second -hand with 8 - 10 K €, not an impossible amount.

So, if and when you are asked 'is it real' ? Try answering with : and which model is it ? And which is the diamater? And which caliber is inside ? :D

I bet 99 % of the regular people would just...shut up.
Not everybody knows the Brands , the Catalogues and the Price List in real time :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Karbon74

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
DE
I recently stayed at the Kahala Resort in Hawaii, it borders on a legendary golf course, the Wai'kalai.

I'm standing outside the front door and this Japanese guy gets out of an Uber with his luggage and clubs. I notice he's wearing a Richard Mille, first one I've seen in the wild.

I say "nice Richard Mille", he looks at me, then down, embarrassed is the only way I would call it, and mutters thank you. Not a peep after that. I'm wearing a Cartier Santos.

So, his behavior - is he thinking "oh shit he knows how much this costs, or I'm wearing a fake and I hope he can't tell."

Or "I don't want to be rude to shove you off but mind your own business."

This is the most Japanese way of thinking, they are not the kind of people who greet everyone on the street.

Reactions: Cheesegrater

Cheesegrater

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/22
uhhuh

You never know, japanese people tend to be very shy and guarded. So I doubt that's an indicator of a fake.

Reactions: Karbon74

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

TBH, you just don’t address a Japanese gentleman like this if you don’t know him and if someone does not introduce you.

It’s the equivalent of giving a hug to a random Finnish bloke.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Maybe he didn't want to become the victim of a robbery?

It's okay to compliment someone on a watch you like by saying "nice watch" or "that is a nice watch," but anything beyond that to a stranger is just not appropriate, for obvious reasons. People who can afford a RM usually don't discuss watches with random people who approach them outside a hotel.

rek00001

24/4/13
Maybe he didn't want to become the victim of a robbery?

It's okay to compliment someone on a watch you like by saying "nice watch" or "that is a nice watch," but anything beyond that to a stranger is just not appropriate, for obvious reasons. People who can afford a RM usually don't discuss watches with random people who approach them outside a hotel.
I didn't approach him, I was just standing there and he got out of the car right in from of me. And what's the difference between saying "nice Richard Mille" and "nice watch"?

You guys are making it sound like I committed some faux pas, but I was just complimenting a guy on his watch.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
I didn't approach him, I was just standing there and he got out of the car right in from of me. And what's the difference between saying "nice Richard Mille" and "nice watch"?

You guys are making it sound like I committed some faux pas, but I was just complimenting a guy on his watch.
Put yourself in the shoes of wearing a house / lambo on your wrist and suddenly getting out of the car and hearing "nice RM" - I would be a little on guard instantly.