• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swap crystal on GMT Master 2 BLRO vvvlllooo

GMTlover

27/12/12
Which model and version watch do you have?

Bezel problem is solved, but now a new issue.
I have an original rolex crystal and gasket, but the gasket seems too low and I cannot get the crystal in.

GMTlover

27/12/12
Bezel problem is solved, but now a new issue.
I have an original rolex crystal and gasket, but the gasket seems too low and I cannot get the crystal in.

Manage to fix it.
Gen gasket was too low. With the bezel assembly back on it just got stuck, very hard to turn the bezel.
Used the rep gasket, and that worked great, but of course fit was not as tight.
So perhaps there is a way to fit a gen gasket but a higher one. This came out of the blister with the crystal.

Noob V11 base
- ✅ gen crystal
- ✅ gen insert
- ✅ ARF bracelet
- hands, dial, crown still sourcing.

Huge thanks to [mention]Vvvlllooo [/mention]for this tutorial!!

4e79bc6011342d781cef0b0b010e3b1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Manage to fix it.
Gen gasket was too low. With the bezel assembly back on it just got stuck, very hard to turn the bezel.
Used the rep gasket, and that worked great, but of course fit was not as tight.
So perhaps there is a way to fit a gen gasket but a higher one. This came out of the blister with the crystal.

Noob V11 base
- ✅ gen crystal
- ✅ gen insert
- ✅ ARF bracelet
- hands, dial, crown still sourcing.

Huge thanks to [mention]Vvvlllooo [/mention]for this tutorial!!

4e79bc6011342d781cef0b0b010e3b1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem..glad you got it going!

Reactions: KJ2020 and GMTlover

Jayjayjay

Looking Around
21/12/21
Looking to send mine to someone to switch as well , here in newyork city New Jersey area

mohamedAG

Looking Around
9/1/22
Thank you for this amazing tutorial.. my question is I’m looking to change my CF batgirl crystal with a clark but not sure about the size of both clark and the Gasket

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Hi guys, I got this far but can’t seem to click the bezel back on… any pointers?

I find it much easier to remove the bezel insert so you can see the 3 nubs of the click spring are property lined up to the 3 holes of the bezel assembly. Also, the bottom of the 3 nubs of the click spring (semi-circle part) should be sitting in the valleys of the crystal retaining ring (which looks to be the case in your picture). I'd also add a very light coating of silicon grease to the hyrel ring (bezel gasket)...it will then have a better chance of sliding over the crystal retaining without getting mangled or deformed. Once everything is lined up, just press her home with a crystal press or by hand. Good luck!

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
I find it much easier to remove the bezel insert so you can see the 3 nubs of the click spring are property lined up to the 3 holes of the bezel assembly. Also, the bottom of the 3 nubs of the click spring (semi-circle part) should be sitting in the valleys of the crystal retaining ring (which looks to be the case in your picture). I'd also add a very light coating of silicon grease to the hyrel ring (bezel gasket)...it will then have a better chance of sliding over the crystal retaining without getting mangled or deformed. Once everything is lined up, just press her home with a crystal press or by hand. Good luck!

So I removed the insert, lined up 3 nubs, but when I put the bezel ghasket itself back on the watch it didn’t seem to be able to “ click in “ at all. It’s already sitting flush with the watch case. I tried using a press which came off Amazon and I actually snapped the thing…

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
So I removed the insert, lined up 3 nubs, but when I put the bezel ghasket itself back on the watch it didn’t seem to be able to “ click in “ at all. It’s already sitting flush with the watch case. I tried using a press which came off Amazon and I actually snapped the thing…

Sounds like (also looks like from your pictures) your missing the hytrel ring....which is what secures the bezel assembly to the watch case. I think most of the factories make the GMT bezel with a little groove that the hytrel ring sits in....although noob infamously did not. Your insert looks to be noob, so this could be a little tricky to fix, but KJ2020 did a great post on how to fix a noob gmt bezel shown here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...ew-gmt-bezels-are-poorly-designed#post8519193

If you have a standard gmt bezel, you need to insert the hytrel ring into the bezel groove and then press the bezel onto the case. If you have a nood gmt bezel, take a look at kJ's post above. Hope this helps!

Reactions: KJ2020

WatchaholicMallorca

Renowned Member
2/9/16
Sounds like (also looks like from your pictures) your missing the hytrel ring....which is what secures the bezel assembly to the watch case. I think most of the factories make the GMT bezel with a little groove that the hytrel ring sits in....although noob infamously did not. Your insert looks to be noob, so this could be a little tricky to fix, but KJ2020 did a great post on how to fix a noob gmt bezel shown here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...ew-gmt-bezels-are-poorly-designed#post8519193

If you have a standard gmt bezel, you need to insert the hytrel ring into the bezel groove and then press the bezel onto the case. If you have a nood gmt bezel, take a look at kJ's post above. Hope this helps!

Will check now thanks buddy!

e1phantom

Watch Bro
Supporter
Certified
27/5/22
How to remove the crystal from the case? I managed to remove the bezel and click spring, but my crystal did not stay attached to the bezel like yours.

Thyks

Horology Curious
10/3/19
Great tutorial, I tried to follow it to install my new Xing bezel insert and deep Xtal. Unfortunately when I removed the bezel the gasket, crystal and other things remained attached to the case and so the situation is different from the one in the tutorial. The problem now is that the Xtal is not fitting in the gasket because gasket is stuck in the case, I've also damaged the gasket trying to force it out of the watch. I think that the clue is that I have to remove also the thing with all the theet (don't know the English name but I've indicated it with a green arrow in the picture). Is there anyone that could help me please?

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Great tutorial, I tried to follow it to install my new Xing bezel insert and deep Xtal. Unfortunately when I removed the bezel the gasket, crystal and other things remained attached to the case and so the situation is different from the one in the tutorial. The problem now is that the Xtal is not fitting in the gasket because gasket is stuck in the case, I've also damaged the gasket trying to force it out of the watch. I think that the clue is that I have to remove also the thing with all the theet (don't know the English name but I've indicated it with a green arrow in the picture). Is there anyone that could help me please?
You can use a razor blade or/and a bezel removal knife. always go around the whole ring, not pull up on one side.
but for real, i had to do this once in my life till now, remember it was a pain in the ass.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Same process for a GMT as in the Sub thread below

6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
Be careful handling the crystal retainer ring, when removal and installation, do not bend it. You’ll also need to correct size die press for the installation later on.