• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sub Experts: so you know your stuff. Rep or Gen ? (and why)

d.brocke

I'm Pretty Popular
On closer inspection for future reference
The machining and brushing can help I'D gen bezel from aftermarket bezel. Even though TC done a great job brushing and machining his bezel assembly especially the PA#2, They are brush lines you can see on gen with a loop!
Micro lines on gen bezel ring
View attachment 31566 View attachment 31574
Teeth
View attachment 31578
View attachment 31584
This can be tricky because gen used bezel gets serviced polished over the years and can look rep as hell after being polished to death.
Awesome photography @Mr Smith ...it does look to have been polished around the outer coined edge at some point: just not 100% evenly and the "sunburst" looking machine finish can be seen it a few spots.
I'm guessing the condition of the retainer is the result of someone having one helluva time trying to get a bezel ring to fit it ?
I know at one time the retainers that came with the purchase of a ST3035 case were know to fit gen bezel rings: I've done it a time or 2 myself.
WM9 V3, some Seans and yes, even some TC retainers have been able to accept gen bezel rings...so it's really hard to say "exactly" which of these it is...if any of them at all.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Insert, bezel ring & crystal retaining ring are all fake, pearl is probably as well, but with all the glare coming off it I can't say with 100% certainty, but it certainly looks fake.

Mr Smith

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
11/3/17
Awesome photography @Mr Smith ...it does look to have been polished around the outer coined edge at some point: just not 100% evenly and the "sunburst" looking machine finish can be seen it a few spots.
I'm guessing the condition of the retainer is the result of someone having one helluva time trying to get a bezel ring to fit it ?
I know at one time the retainers that came with the purchase of a ST3035 case were know to fit gen bezel rings: I've done it a time or 2 myself.
WM9 V3, some Seans and yes, even some TC retainers have been able to accept gen bezel rings...so it's really hard to say "exactly" which of these it is...if any of them at all.

Yes I have fit several gen bezel rings on ST retainers? Are you sure it's ST retainer? In the past I had to sand a few parts like the TC retainer to get the ST 18k bezel ring to fit, It's been trial and error for me with some of these aftermarket assemblies to get them to work with each other. At one time I had WM9, BKTW, Euro mariner, TC, ST,WSO, bezel parts all mixed up. And had to learn how to tell them apart.lol
Pics above are from my research over the years . Not mine.lol
What reference you building May i ask?
Holes case? No holes case?

d.brocke

I'm Pretty Popular
Yes I have fit several gen bezel rings on ST retainers? Are you sure it's ST retainer? In the past I had to sand a few parts like the TC retainer to get the ST 18k bezel ring to fit, It's been trial and error for me with some of these aftermarket assemblies to get them to work with each other. At one time I had WM9, BKTW, Euro mariner, TC, ST,WSO, bezel parts all mixed up. And had to learn how to tell them apart.lol
Pics above are from my research over the years . Not mine.lol
What reference you building May i ask?
Holes case? No holes case?
No, actually I'm not certain it a ST.
The OD is good...it's the ramp height that's off.
Yes, years ago some of the WM9's as well as BK's TW's took a bit filing and sanding to fit the gen insert: the retainer was too tall and the ramp was either a bit too thick or lacking the proper slope.
But that's just it: a complete gen bezel assembly doesn't need and filing, sanding, scraping, etc.
I'm not actually building this one: it's already been built...
I'm just trying to give it the gen bezel assembly it deserves and am running into minor obstacles by being a tight wad and not wanting to fist up the funds to do so.
If anyone has a gen 313-16800-181 retaining ring they won't be using, I'd be interested in it :)

wm9z

25/2/12
It's all rep stuff....machining on gen parts and hallmarks on gold parts are the determining factors and finishing/polishing can alter gen pieces....i personally like to measure and weigh parts as well...

domsdaddy123

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
6/8/15
No, actually I'm not certain it a ST.
The OD is good...it's the ramp height that's off.
Yes, years ago some of the WM9's as well as BK's TW's took a bit filing and sanding to fit the gen insert: the retainer was too tall and the ramp was either a bit too thick or lacking the proper slope.
But that's just it: a complete gen bezel assembly doesn't need and filing, sanding, scraping, etc.
I'm not actually building this one: it's already been built...
I'm just trying to give it the gen bezel assembly it deserves and am running into minor obstacles by being a tight wad and not wanting to fist up the funds to do so.
If anyone has a gen 313-16800-181 retaining ring they won't be using, I'd be interested in it :)

Hey brother, just give misikeped a buzz and he will sort you out. He has all the parts/experience/skills you need to get this built to perfection. Trust me, just send him a PM...

Mr Smith

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
11/3/17
It's all rep stuff....machining on gen parts and hallmarks on gold parts are the determining factors and finishing/polishing can alter gen pieces....i personally like to measure and weigh parts as well...

Yeah that's a great ideal as well
Yeah no doubt he is, the guy is in a class by himself

He's a miracle worker lol
And he's always for rare parts no one else seams to have?