• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Strap Freaks!!!

Lagunax

I'm Pretty Popular
18/4/15
CONUS
So my 'bargain' TC straps arrived today. And Canada Customs decided to hit me with a $65 charge. faaaaaak. Shoulda known better with FedEx shipping. Had TC used USPS, I would have been in the clear, but no other shipping option.
(n)

tanith

Renowned Member
Certified
17/8/18
I had purchased a few MP straps from TC 2-3 years ago and was happy with them. However I purchased 4 straps in this closeout sale including a Brelli Kodiak and I'm shocked at the poor quality of all 4. I already have an older Brelli Kodiak that is beautiful and very soft, however the new 'Kodiak' feels like plastic.
Just curious, what color did you purchase the Kodiak in?
I picked one up also and had similar feelings about it, although after wearing it for a while (and taking it into the water with me) it got much better

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Just curious, what color did you purchase the Kodiak in?
I picked one up also and had similar feelings about it, although after wearing it for a while (and taking it into the water with me) it got much better
It's the cognac. I'll admit that I haven't worn it to see if it alters but that's mainly because it's so unappealing that I don't want to bother!

I forgot that in the Kodiak order I also bought a Ciampi 'Special Edition Natural Horween Chromexcel'. This is a very nice strap (now), but I really don't believe its Horween cxl. I have dozens of cxl tanned Horween straps so I'm very familiar with the feel and characteristics.

I spent some time adding some structure and also colored the edges for contrast.

I'm honestly not trying to knock TC - they were great suppliers to the hobby for many years. Perhaps they just had some mediocre stock piles that they wanted to sell off before closing their site / business. I haven't read the details but i would assume that all of the clearance sales were non-returnable.

Last edited:
Reactions: @(^_^)@

tanith

Renowned Member
Certified
17/8/18
Perhaps they just had some mediocre stock piles that they wanted to sell off before closing their site / business. I haven't read the details but i would assume that all of the clearance sales were non-returnable.
Forgot to mention, I purchased the black. I guess the color doesn't make a difference.
My initial impression was it felt very similar to a bottom-budget, stiff, cheap chinese faux leather strap, but after a thorough soaking and drying on the wrist, the fit has become very comfortable and the surface feels less plastic and more heavily waxed.

Yes you may be right, I had an Olterra in my order and the glue holding the fixed keeper in was visibly coming apart even before I tried putting the strap on. But I suppose at the fire sale price there's no complaining about such small things.

tomriddle

25/6/07
don't make me break out my custom Blue Hornback Crocodile strap with Gray stitching!

DON'T MAKE ME!!!

.... :( and to think i had it done for my 082

my customized 082 with golden hands..

and i sold it 😭

oh if i can only go back and slap my young self silly 😭

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Just commissioned a couple of straps from Aleksandar / Manifatture Serioso who is a pleasure to deal with. His straps are amazing for vintage builds / pre-V / PAM372 etc Panerai due to his construction methods and the wonderful hides he manages to find.

First into production is a 'dirty cream' with ash grey filler and thread colors.