• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Some Wristwatch Terminology

donnay458

1/1/08
at times i need a refresher tool to remember the terminology of my new hobby and here it is!

very insightful!

johhnyq

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/6/08
thanks for a fascinating read. I'm just getting started into this rep collecting and this was very useful. :)

Dewey Dog

19/6/08
Thanks D. Great info.

Don't think I understand the diff btw Chapter Ring and Rehaut. Anyone?

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Great post! Can we add some rep terms"
WOKKY: when a rehaut rsebles a "WOK" from it's conical feature?

Buttering up a bracelet: When you oil soak your band for a silky smooth feel.

Franken: any watch built from an assortment of parts either rep or gen to make one working timepiece.

Gouging: When prices of products (reps) are intentionally raised to gain more profit. ( ok so it's not watch related but it'sgood to know)

Springbar: Spring loaded pins that hold the bands and bracelts on the end Lugs

End Lugs: The are on the top and bottom (12 and 6) of the case and are used to secure a band or bracelet.

Just to add a few, and not hijack.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
Dewey Dog said:
Thanks D. Great info.

Don't think I understand the diff btw Chapter Ring and Rehaut. Anyone?

they are the same. :wink:

Dewey Dog

19/6/08
Thx HK. I was wondering.

WB - so is buttering up a watch like snipe hunting or does it really exist? If so, pls explain further; WD40? :)

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Take your rep band, soak it in a high grade oil overnight nile amsoil or wd-40 and then dry it off with a clean cotton towel or paper towel and let is sit in the towel to pull out excess oil. The rest of the oil should stay in the channels making the bracelt oh so buttery smooth. There have been a few posts on it. Try to use a thicker oil so it does not bleed on yor hands ona hot day when your sweating it up playing outside.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Well,, no.. not really .. It's not the same and the differences are imperative to understand when buying a watch 'with' a chapter ring. I typed out an explanation (basically saying that a chapter ring will have numerals or numbers or hashes which are meant to reference points in time while a Rehaut is simply a flange.

I found a reference on the internet which explains it further...

Rehaut is defined as a flange"

In horology, le rehaut can be:

1) a rotating internal bezel (lunette intérieure rotative) as we find in this reference: "Une couronne rotative pour le réhaut d'orientation et du compte à rebours," which translates as: "A [second] crown for adjusting the [internal] elapsed time counter." An example would be the Jaeger-LeCoultre
Master Compressor Dualmatic or the Hamilton Khaki Navy.

2) in a fixed configuration, a flange which raises the crystal above the dial and hands. On the Rolex Submariner, for example, the rehaut exists in the same plane as the external rotating (elapsed time) bezel.

The area under the crystal is properly referred to as the rehaut, in French. In English the proper term would be a "flange." The flange (or rehaut) is sometime mistakenly referred to as the "chapter ring." However, this area is not the chapter ring, which is the circular ring on a clock or watch dial on which the minutes (and sometimes the hours) are engraved, attached or painted. Francophones refer to the chapter ring as tour d'heures (hours ring). The particular chaprter ring depicted to the left is colloqually called chemin de fer (literally "way of iron" or railroad).

Perhaps to put the idea of the flange into some perspective, note that a flange is defined as: a spreading or flaring part; a projecting or protruding rim, edge, rib, or collar used to strengthen an object, hold it in place, or attach it to another object. In a gasketed joint, the flange performs all three functions of strengthening an object, holding it in place, and attaching it to another object.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
daytona4me said:
Well,, no.. not really .. It's not the same and the differences are imperative to understand when buying a watch 'with' a chapter ring. I typed out an explanation (basically saying that a chapter ring will have numerals or numbers or hashes which are meant to reference points in time while a Rehaut is simply a flange.

I found a reference on the internet which explains it further...

Rehaut is defined as a flange"

In horology, le rehaut can be:

1) a rotating internal bezel (lunette intérieure rotative) as we find in this reference: "Une couronne rotative pour le réhaut d'orientation et du compte à rebours," which translates as: "A [second] crown for adjusting the [internal] elapsed time counter." An example would be the Jaeger-LeCoultre
Master Compressor Dualmatic or the Hamilton Khaki Navy.

2) in a fixed configuration, a flange which raises the crystal above the dial and hands. On the Rolex Submariner, for example, the rehaut exists in the same plane as the external rotating (elapsed time) bezel.

The area under the crystal is properly referred to as the rehaut, in French. In English the proper term would be a "flange." The flange (or rehaut) is sometime mistakenly referred to as the "chapter ring." However, this area is not the chapter ring, which is the circular ring on a clock or watch dial on which the minutes (and sometimes the hours) are engraved, attached or painted. Francophones refer to the chapter ring as tour d'heures (hours ring). The particular chaprter ring depicted to the left is colloqually called chemin de fer (literally "way of iron" or railroad).

Perhaps to put the idea of the flange into some perspective, note that a flange is defined as: a spreading or flaring part; a projecting or protruding rim, edge, rib, or collar used to strengthen an object, hold it in place, or attach it to another object. In a gasketed joint, the flange performs all three functions of strengthening an object, holding it in place, and attaching it to another object.

they are considered to be the same on the rolex forum. :wink:

tee3509

Horology Curious
13/7/08
Thanks guys, this information is absolutely valuable to both noobs and more seasoned collectors. Could we add "Hand Stack" to this glossary. Thanks again.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
tee3509 said:
Thanks guys, this information is absolutely valuable to both noobs and more seasoned collectors. Could we add "Hand Stack" to this glossary. Thanks again.

Sure, Hand Stack refers to the order that the hands are stacked on the pinion.
For example, if you read By-Tor's GMT II Pepsi review found here: http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtop ... 3&p=356687 you will see a comparison between the Replica (on the left) and the Genuine (on the right) the hands are stacked in different orders. This is one of the give aways on some replica Rolex watches (very few are going to notice it).

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
dun forger
"BIG MoFo Watch"!

Antonio_Montana

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/5/07
Thanks for this useful thread!! Read it a long time ago but today i refreshed some parts, very informative post.

replica80

Known Member
1/9/08
Great topic, very usefull for a noobie. Always good to get a clue on the terminology before reading the forum and asking questions. I've got a lot to learn...