• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sinn U1 review GEN vs. REP side by side comparison [pic heavy]

s3g0y

Renowned Member
15/12/10
Hi guys!
I thought it might be interesting for U1 lovers to see side by side comparison of GENuine and REPlica of this great Sinn model. So there are two big tough guys, real tool watches, both on rubber straps but only one of them has a true German soul. Let’s take a closer look.

IMG_7594.JPG

About GEN:
Sinn Watches was founded in 1961 by Helmut Sinn. In 1994 Helmut Sinn sold his Watch Company to Lothar Schmidt, an ex IWC engineer who has since added many new technologies and innovations to create a range of Sinn Watches which will perform in extreme circumstances.
Sinn U1 is probably the most recognizable watch from this manufacturer. It’s pure classic toolwatch. With this diving watch Sinn engineers was looking for the materials that will give it superior resistance to external influences under extreme conditions of use. They found a steel with the desired resistance at the German submarine yards. The steel manufacturers for these shipyards supply small quantities of the original steel of the current German submarine production exclusively to SINN for making diving watches — the very steel of which the external hulls of the German Navy's new submarine class 212, which currently REPresents the most advanced non-nuclear submarines in the world, are made.

This original submarine steel is not only extraordinarily seawater-resistant but is also of the highest non-magnetic quality without any residual magnetism. Another advantage of this steel is its outstanding ability to be combined with the TEGIMENT Technology. Thus the rotating bezel of the diving watch U1 is surface-hardened as standard to 1500 Vickers. Likewise, the anti-reflective coat of the flat sapphire crystal glass has an extreme hardness of 1800 HV.
The water-resistance and pressure resistance of 100 bar (= 1000 m water depth) was certified for the diving watch U1 by Germanischer Lloyd, Hamburg. The safety test pressure used for this purpose was 125 bar.

Size: 43mm without crown
Case thickness: 14.3 mm
Crown screwable
Movement: Selitta SW 200-1 (ETA2824-2 in older models)
Double AR sapphire crystal
Weight: 113g without strap and 189 g with the rubber strap and buckle

About REP:
This is what the dealers say on their websites:
Best replication in this year! (Note that it was a couple of years before). Made with A genuine watch as Ref. Completely stripped down for this replication exercise... Parts completely interchangeable with genuine Watch. Case size is 1 : 1 Exact replication as per the genuine

Is it true? We heard a lot of BS about 1:1 replication, right? Let’s see.

First glance – see, it’s looking good! Almost the same watches.

IMG_7617.JPG

Second glance… well…. You can easily point which one is REP and which is GEN, right?

IMG_7622.JPG

(GEN is left)

Ok, time for detailed comparison.

Obrazek2.jpg

(GEN is left)

There are many differences – some of them are very obvious and some are non relevant. Let’s try go through all main imperfections of this best replication of the year (2009?).

The weight:
Sinn U1 REP is very solid and heavy. Regarding weight it has a real GEN-like feeling. Although it’s still not as heavy as GEN! It’s 10 gram lighter than GEN. 177 g vs. 187 g with the rubber strap.

The colour (steel):
Yes, it’s one of the most obvious tells. You can’t replicate U-Boot steel using regular 316L steel. You can see at the pictures above that GEN U1 is darker. Also the case finish structure differs. It will be also visible at the next pictures.
It’s pretty easy to see when you look at both watches side by side but when you see only REP one you don’t have reference. So this tell can be missed by an untrained eye ;)

The bezel:
Honestly this is what distracts me from this REP. The bezel is very far from 1:1 and it’s hard to miss. REP bezel in side by side comparison looks a bit like toy. I mean... it screams fake!
First of all bezel fonts. The fonts are different and they are much bigger than in GEN. Second thing – the marks are bigger and wider (especially red ones). Third are underlines of 5, 10 and 15 index on the bezel – much too long! Especially under 15. And last but not least the shape of bezel teeth. It’s completely different. In GEN U1 the pits are bigger and deeper.

IMG_7549.JPG

GEN above the REP:
IMG_7523.JPG

IMG_7524.JPG

IMG_7526.JPG
IMG_7525.JPG

Gen is left:
IMG_7543.JPG

IMG_7534.JPG

IMG_7535.JPG

The pearl:
Together with the rest of the bezel – an obvious tell. There’s nothing to write about, just take a look:

IMG_7538.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

The dial:
The dial in this REP would be perfect if the hour markers lume wasn’t greenish. The writings are almost spot on. The markers shape is a little wrong but it’s nothing serious. But the greenish lume… gosh… why didn’t they use white one? The markers in GEN are white in the daylight. White-white. Not greenish-white like in REP. And this is visible.

IMG_7527.JPG

Another thing is the different shade of red color in red writings on the dial. The REP is darker red. It’s pretty nice color though and I think I like it even more than GEN red which is lighter but it’s still not 1:1 replication. The same things with the red color regarding hands.
The date font is also little different in REP and the datewheel is a little bit recessed comparing to GEN. But is a non issue I think. Nothing serious.

IMG_7544.JPG

GEN is above the REP:
IMG_7537.JPG

IMG_7536.JPG

The hands:
Generally they are well replicated excluding the red color which is darker than in GEN. You can also see that on the central second hand the white bar is longer than in GEN. And why the hell it’s lumed blue?!

IMG_7544.JPG

The crystal (AR):
This REP is known as having one of the best AR out of box on the REP market. Indeed the AR is beautiful, double sided with strong purple tint. The crystal transparency is great and the AR is very efficient. And it would be spot on if there wasn’t such strong purple hue. GEN AR is also bluish / purple but not that strong! So… another BIG tell. See side by side comparison:

IMG_7546.JPG

IMG_7545.JPG

IMG_7557.JPG

IMG_7616.JPG

The lume:
The lume in REP sucks. It’s weak and grainy on the hands. The pearl almost don’t glow at all. And the seconds hand has blue lume and I can’t get it why.

IMG_7597.JPG

The case and crown:
Although it’s very good replicated you can still find some tells without much effort.
The case color is what was described before. Also the lugs shape is different. In GEN the lugs are a little smoother and REP are bolder. Not a big difference though. GEN is on the right.

IMG_7550.JPG

The crown has a bit different shape and it’s less detailed engraved.

IMG_7552.JPG

IMG_7549.JPG

You can also notice that near the crown the case is profiled differently in REP – the flat part is longer.
The engravings between lugs are also different. Well… maybe the older models of GEN U1 has the “Germany†engraved between lugs. Mine is from 2012 and it says only SVG (or SUG). The REP engravings are also deeper (which is quite rare in REP world).

IMG_7528.JPG

The other side:

IMG_7530.JPG

As you can see the shape between lugs is very not 1:1.

IMG_7531.JPG

It’s ok from this profile ;)

IMG_7553.JPG

The caseback:
Well… it’s ok but not perfect. The main problem here is the font in “1000m†engraving. Besides this – not bad.

IMG_7540.JPG

IMG_7541.JPG

IMG_7542.JPG

IMG_7556.JPG

Look at the colour difference!

The rubber strap and buckle:
The rubber itself is great in REP. It not as soft and gentle as GEN but it’s still fantastic for REP. The size, shape and the writings are really 1:1. I think it can be easily used by GEN owners as a replacement aftermarket rubber :)

IMG_7570.JPG

IMG_7569.JPG

IMG_7574.JPG

The buckle is the other thing. It has a different construction and feels cheap comparing to GEN.

IMG_7566.JPG

Yes, GEN is left :) REP buckle has deeper engravings than GEN, unbelievable!
This triangle on REP buckle is a sign of TEGIMENT technology. Mine GEN buckle is not tegimented that’s why the sign is not present.

IMG_7572.JPG

REP below GEN
IMG_7577.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

As you can see there are little screws on the sides of GEN buckle. REP doesn’t have it.

Summary:
REP U1 is a nice watch. It’s solid, heavy, very well finished. It has a great rubber strap and great AR on the crystal. It has a unique style and can give a lot of fun to its owner. BUT it’s very far from 1:1 replication and definitely not a SUPER-REP. There are tells in every little part of it and the rubber seems to be the best replicated element.
The REP marked gone a long distance since 2008/2009. Today’s REPs are almost perfect. And it’s a shame that there are not any V2 and V3 version of this beautiful piece. I think that it would be very easy to improve this one – white lume on hour markers and improved bezel numbers and marks would be enough for the first step. Maybe noob maker (Mr Crème de la Crème) should put his hands on it… Then I would consider selling my GEN and stay with the REP.

But until it will happen the GEN stays with me :)

IMG_7489.JPG

Reactions: vcappp

hado67

I'm Pretty Popular
4/7/11
WOW! Nice Review. I was thinking of getting one of these, but you made me change my mind!

madcatlancelot

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/08
Excellent review, thanks for doing this. :) Rep points for you.

Indeed the slightly green markers is a turn off, overall this rep still looks good.

s3g0y

Renowned Member
15/12/10
Thank you mates. Indeed - the rep is a nice watch.
But the gen is not that expensive too. You can find them in great condition for about 1000 EUR.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Impressive comparison. Rep points coming your way.

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Superb comparison my friend, I love looking, and reading your comparisons :) You have pointed out far more tells that I even realised were there, and as little as they are, now I know them, I will spot them. The more obvious, and glaring tell for me is that damn pearl.

s3g0y

Renowned Member
15/12/10
SINN Germany is asking 250 EUR for the gen bezel. I checked it. The dial is 49 EUR and hands 11 EUR. But they will send you the new dial only when you will send them the old one. As a replacement.

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
What a great review, thank you for taking the time! I always thought that the U1 is almost like genuine, but there is a lot of differences...

s3g0y

Renowned Member
15/12/10
A little update - I found the photos of older GEN Sinn U1 and it used to have the "SUG GERMANY" engraving between lugs.

dscf2899x1cf.jpg

But what is more important - the shape of the belel teetch (pits) used to be different than in my GEN! They were more shallow and smaller. The same as in REP!
See:

Older gen:

dscf2913x4bn.jpg

And the newer GEN and REP:

IMG_7549.JPG

Also the caseback engravings used to be different before. It looked like this in earlier GEN versions:

dscf2980x3nv.jpg

As you can see it's still different than rep.

IMG_7541.JPG

wqleow

11/7/12
Really wonderful comparison pictures! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stealthy

MULTI ACCOUNT
9/4/13
very2 nice review....

So I think based on this, is it safe to say that U2 is a more accurately repped than U1?

I personally prefer the U1 dial though....

s3g0y

Renowned Member
15/12/10
Not really. U2 gen has a domed crystal while rep has flat. The bezel flaws are the same as in U1.

Stealthy

MULTI ACCOUNT
9/4/13
I just received mine last night! It's a beauty.

Have some issue with the rubber strap fitment & the date changed @6am, don't know whether this is fixable, but still it's a beautiful watch, especially the AR

D

d4m.test

Great review and fantastic comparison pics. Can´t wait for the U2 compare now:) Please do one

Cromag

Renowned Member
11/8/12
Haha! Looks like Sinn made a v2 of the U1. Great job on the review. No way to swap the metal bezel because the color of the metal. It's a love it or leave it kinda rep.

I find the Sinn watches very striking and definitely in my future now that I know it's 43mm

Thanks!