• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sec@9 version of TH Monaco 24 incoming! ;)

thisismynick

27/12/10
Hi guys,

to be blunt, was kinda difficult to find this sec@9 version of the TH Monaco 24 concept watch. Really happy that in the upteenth attempt I've finally found a dealer who really can walk his talk and can deliver the exact watch he advertises (Mary / watchinternational - no TD on RWI, but on RWG etc).

Together with the slimmer case and the correct spelling of "centrifugal" on the back this seems to be the closest to gen rep version there is (and probably ever will be...)

What do you think?

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I really wish you hadn't started this thread.
I LOOOOOVE this watch but have stayed away due to the flaws.
Looking forward to your review when she arrives.

benjamin0608

Horology Curious
24/9/10
thisismynick, what is the movement like, A7750? Ooh, this is so exciting, the watch does look good, looking forward to your review when you do get it in person.

thisismynick

27/12/10
thisismynick, what is the movement like, A7750? Ooh, this is so exciting, the watch does look good, looking forward to your review when you do get it in person.

Yes, it's an A7750 movement.

Funny enough, by chance I found myself on the Düsseldorf' Königsallee today, accompanying the missus on the neverending quest for her latest body wrappings (a.k.a. four digit clothes and fashion items), i.o. to get them later on ripped off of her by me, and THEN I'll...umm...OKOK, I lost track there for a sec - bear with me... :D

[for those not familiar with the place: Düsseldorf is somewhat of a fashion capital around here in Germany, and the Königsallee - according to Wikipedia - "is one of the leading luxury shopping streets of Europe". Well, according to me it is circle jerk central - but anyhoo, there's a loooot of money running around, and hence a lot of ADs too...]

One AD (Bucherer) had a gen TH Monaco24 in the window. I couldn't resist to get in and wear it. FYI: 9000 Euro :picard2:. Niiiice watch ;) Super soft sweep (it better be, with 36.000 BPH tickin' away...)

Even more important: The watch looked well on my wrist, too. :D

=> I'm mucho curious as to how this updated rep version will look and feel ;)

Will keep you updated, but since I have to self-organize a UK triangle shipment and my contact there is abroad until end of August I will have to be patient... :lolcina:

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
That's if he doesn't decide to open it and fall in love with it and then dissapear from the forum!!

:evil grin:

thisismynick

27/12/10
That's if he doesn't decide to open it and fall in love with it and then dissapear from the forum!!

:evil grin:

Nah, I don't think so -- he seems to be a very nice and trustworthy chap ;) [and that aside: Mary has hardwired a plutomium powered GPS sensor to the movement for an extra fiver, so in case the watch doesn't give pings every 15 minutes or it goes sailing around UK, the whole damn Justice League will be down there... :whistle: ]

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
LOL
Looking forward to the review - ESPECIALLY since you may have access to a gen for comparison.

benjamin0608

Horology Curious
24/9/10
Yes, it's an A7750 movement.

Funny enough, by chance I found myself on the Düsseldorf' Königsallee today, accompanying the missus on the neverending quest for her latest body wrappings (a.k.a. four digit clothes and fashion items), i.o. to get them later on ripped off of her by me, and THEN I'll...umm...OKOK, I lost track there for a sec - bear with me... :D

[for those not familiar with the place: Düsseldorf is somewhat of a fashion capital around here in Germany, and the Königsallee - according to Wikipedia - "is one of the leading luxury shopping streets of Europe". Well, according to me it is circle jerk central - but anyhoo, there's a loooot of money running around, and hence a lot of ADs too...]

One AD (Bucherer) had a gen TH Monaco24 in the window. I couldn't resist to get in and wear it. FYI: 9000 Euro :picard2:. Niiiice watch ;) Super soft sweep (it better be, with 36.000 BPH tickin' away...)

Even more important: The watch looked well on my wrist, too. :D

=> I'm mucho curious as to how this updated rep version will look and feel ;)

Will keep you updated, but since I have to self-organize a UK triangle shipment and my contact there is abroad until end of August I will have to be patient... :lolcina:

I hope you get it real soon, if it is as good as it looks, then I m ready to pull the trigger! I m sure it looks good on your wrist, it has got weight and presence, the missus bought me a quartz version(can't really compare, I know) during a trip to Thailand and I have been in love ever since. Big fan of the Monaco watch, always waiting for them to do a half decent one on the blue version but for now, any Monaco will do !

thisismynick

27/12/10
LOL
Looking forward to the review - ESPECIALLY since you may have access to a gen for comparison.

Well, "having access" maybe is somewhat exaggerated. But I will sure have a look at that same AD after I got mine. If the gen should still be sitting there, I might have the chance to look at it in detail and wear it again, and right outside wear mine again etc. But of course I won't have the chance to do photos of the gen, unfortunately. I'll do my best anyhoo. ;)

thisismynick

27/12/10
I hope you get it real soon, if it is as good as it looks, then I m ready to pull the trigger! I m sure it looks good on your wrist, it has got weight and presence, the missus bought me a quartz version(can't really compare, I know) during a trip to Thailand and I have been in love ever since. Big fan of the Monaco watch, always waiting for them to do a half decent one on the blue version but for now, any Monaco will do !

Thanks for your kind words.

As for a half-decent Monaco, I guess the Monaco 24 is the way to go, since all other Monacos IMHO are way to slim to get them half-decently repped with an A7750 chrono.

Besides, especially the Monaco 24 is - even in the retail version - so rare, I doubt that anybody this side of an AD's watchmaker (or RWI WISes) will see any flaws on the wrist.

Good thing for us that TH finally decided to bring a limited retail version! I mean, before it was be the ultimate tell, wearing a Basel concept watch... Imagine anybody calling you out on that thing, and you'd be, like, "Yeah, well, y'know, JC (Jean-Christophe Babin, CEO of TH) an' me goes back a looong ways, we already played in the sandbox together where I always protected him from the bullies, and his grand children are my beloved godchilds, since I donated one of my kidneys to his wife when she suffered a deadly thread, and as a small token of our unbreakable bond of everlasting friendship he gave the Basel Concept watch to me, knowhutamsayin, yo?" :facepalm:

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Sure, that's totally plausible. The amount of high end watch CEO's I went to school and playschool with is unreal.

thisismynick

27/12/10
Sure, that's totally plausible. The amount of high end watch CEO's I went to school and playschool with is unreal.

Hell, YES! How else would I be sporting so many different 20+k high end watches? Y'know - doin' some golf here, some business there, and some blackmailing inbetween - hrrm...excuse me: of course "politics" is the correct term - and presto: you hardly can get rid of those slimeball-CEOs with their calculable, cheap attempts to please me with watch-gifts. Tell you what: It works; it does please me! ;) :facepalm:

[Bro' - I really have to cut down on my medication...] :lolcina:

thisismynick

27/12/10
Tag Heuer Monaco 24 A7750 sec@9 version

OK guys, just received my TH Monaco 24 Concept watch rep with sec@9 :)

Overall, this is a great watch, great look, great presence on the wrist, sturdy feeling, quality look and feel.

But -- it is not really a very accurate-to-gen-rep :(

I will just list the pros, and the flaws that I have found (so far), comparing my watch with gens in the AD's window (there are quite a couple gens floating around the ADs in my vicinity at the moment...?) and comparing pics of my rep with gen pics taken from chrono24 (not of the concept watch of course, but on the "regular" though limited production run)

+ smooth high beat running sec@9!!! :)

+ slimmer (appearance?) of case than older sec@3 rep version

+ no spelling mistakes on rotor/case back

+ great presence on the wrist

+ quality look and feel

+ fully functioning chrono

- although updated version, rep is still thicker than gen, by 1.5 mm. Rep is 18.5mm (measured myself with a caliper), gen is supposed to be 17 mm. To my surprise, it's not so blatantely obvious though when on the wrist...? Diameter of case is 40 mm square, which is accurate to gen.

- screws on the side are smaller or at least look smaller than gen

- screws on the side are not screwn in so flush on rep

- chrono pushers on rep have different position/angles than with gen

- the leather strap on gen is flush with the case lugs; not so with rep

- gen leather strap is black on inside, beige with rep.

- gen leather strap feels nice and cosy. rep feels like better card board...but that might get better with wearing

- no "tag heuer" markings on lower right front case with gen

- no "concept watch" markings on case back with gen

- rep sub dial needles are only one colored and too short, instead of orange+silverish coloured, and long enough to touch the markers on the sub dials

- small screws that hold the sub dial needles are matte black on rep (as they were on the Basel concept watch), but regular production gen has chrome screws now...

And NOW to the 2 flaws that really piss me off:
* THE FRIGGIN DIAL IS GREYISH, and not black as per gen. :asshat:
* The colour of the orange stripe is not orange but something like a mustardy yellow!! :facepalm:

I must say, I can very well live with all the above stated flaws/differences to gen, because regardless of that all, it IS a beautiful watch, and anyhoo nobody is gonna call you out on such an exotic and rare watch. (Even if s.o. wants to bluff you out, you can babble something about a special pre-production run that you got 2nd hand, or whatever. IME the man, here: the storytelling makes a story work, and almost nothing else.)

But the last 2 flaws are a complete NO GO, because they make the watch look...I dunno..."disbalanced". Cheapish. It simply doesn't look harmonious in my book. Period.

Both might be due to a mistake of the dealer though, because she asked me whether I'd prefer a black or grey dial, and I ordered a black dial, as per gen, doubting that there even would be a grey dial... Well, we'll see about that. Have contacted her right away. Will keep U updated.

And since :ttiwwop:

First is gen, then rep, then gen again, then rep.

HTH & cheers