• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWI guys would reject Gen watches as well haha

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Yes thats why i dont buy them like i wrote above. I could buy them but i dont accept the flaws, its just simple. If everyone would do that THEY must change but nobody cares because "Rolex = i must buy it to be something better" nothing else. Thats why i really dont like Rolex. Most of the people here at my city only know Rolex so you can wear even expensiver watches and they dont have a clue but if you have a rolex then you are something "better" and thats what i hate.

Example:
Do you would buy an iphone with a apple logo totally crooked at the backside? No? Thats what iam talking about.

Reactions: Thatwatchguy

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
if its within the company's tolerances, is it really a flaw? or just some people being too anal?

think of it this way, the rolex movement can be -2s/d to +2s/d. if its 0s/d is it perfect? or if it is within that tolerance is it perfect? is it flawed if its +2s/d?

people seem to forget that there is a lot of human element in assembling watches. Humans arent perfect.

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
the argument that gen guys accept flaws is just not true. On TRF, there are countless posts about guys not being happy with their watches. The responses are usually supportive of the buyer and not the watch company.

Only brand wosrhippers preach the accept it because of its "tolerances" line. The same use to happen on Bimmerpost, the cars would clearly be having an issue and BMW worshippers would attack the buyer lol How dare you demand something you spent $100,000 to work as advertised haha

Reactions: GreenGrocer

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
if its within the company's tolerances, is it really a flaw? or just some people being too anal?

think of it this way, the rolex movement can be -2s/d to +2s/d. if its 0s/d is it perfect? or if it is within that tolerance is it perfect? is it flawed if its +2s/d?

people seem to forget that there is a lot of human element in assembling watches. Humans arent perfect.
Thats not the same iam sorry is the myth still around that Rolex would assamble everything with the hand? They produce 1 million watches per year thats impossible done by hand.

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12

Rolex are mass produced watches, mostly made by machines. They are the BMW 3 series of the watch world. Apart from a few special models they make in small numbers, it really isn't as time consuming as the marketing will have you believe.

What Rolex offers is an unbeatable luxury brand recognition. Everyone knows what it is, unlike brands like Vacheron or A Lange & Sohne. They are also known for being reliable, don't have to baby them as much.

Some people do not want a watch that costs $50,000 but nobody will look at it twice.

Reactions: Tigerdragon

SubVette

Known Member
26/4/18
This need posting again

These are the two watches I chose from. Bought from a TD on TRF. I chose the one on the right because of the magnification flaw on the left. That USED to be a HUGE rep tell. Likely still is. Rolex does not seem to care about offering the same quality on an $8500 watch. I didn't check the rehut because it was a gen. That's all that mattered to me at the time.

Even Rolex is not consistent. Notice also the = sign is different on the watches. Both GENS. My REP has the same = sign as the one I chose on the right, Slightly off center to the left. Again these are Genuine Rolex Subs.

IMG_6116_zpszrlgi7p7.jpg

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
The cyclops on the right one is trash, as you said that is rep standard.

You mention the = sign being off like on your rep. What if these "flaws" we see on reps are because they are copying Rolex's flaws from the watch they are replicating?

Reactions: Thatwatchguy

SubVette

Known Member
26/4/18

You mention the = sign being off like on your rep. What if these "flaws" we see on reps are because they are copying Rolex's flaws from the watch they are replicating?

Both watches are GENS. I bought from DavidSW on TRF, He sent me pics of the two subs he had. I chose the one on the right because the cyclops magnification was 2.5X The one on the left is a GEN as well albeit with a flawed cyclops magnification.

I agree with you on the rep makers. I think the REP makers use all sorts of GENs to copy. The issue is Rolex themselves are not consistent from watch to watch.

Reactions: reppin

2fake4u

20/9/16
Thats not the same iam sorry is the myth still around that Rolex would assamble everything with the hand? They produce 1 million watches per year thats impossible done by hand.

didnt say everything is hand done, just that there are a good amount of things hand done.

IIRC, indices are hand applied, movements are hand assembled, majority of finishing is hand done, casing is hand done, etc. That is quite a few steps that allow for human error and lead to the tolerance differences

71bucks

18/5/10

Did you mean that the one on the LEFT is trash? Not nit-picking your post, just clarifying because all of mine look like the one on the right.

71bucks

18/5/10
Reppin, I have a gen and a rep; I’m not real sharp with spotting reps like you guys are and the only thing I can see bad of the two cyclopses is that the one on the left barely magnifies. I think you’re saying both in the picture are bad, left because it isn’t magnifying 2.5x and right for some other reason?

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
Reppin, I have a gen and a rep; I’m not real sharp with spotting reps like you guys are and the only thing I can see bad of the two cyclopses is that the one on the left barely magnifies. I think you’re saying both in the picture are bad, left because it isn’t magnifying 2.5x and right for some other reason?

i'm defo no expert but lately I have been noticing cyclops more(only because guys on here taught me to). the gen is normally super clear, those two watches were posted tp show that even the gens have variations where they are not perfect.

Reactions: SubVette

SubVette

Known Member
26/4/18
We are in the "image" business. People buy Rolexes due to the "image" Rolex has cultivated through marketing at exclusive events and channels. They are not perfect.

Harley Davidson is worse and does the same thing. They produce crap to a fawning public who buys those bikes and accents flaws. Major flaws. They can buy a better "rep" of a Harley at the Yamaha Dealer. "But it's not a "gwat damn" Harley Davidson. If Harley Davidson made an airplane who would fly in it? I have had a few Harleys and I would never fly in it. I decided the "image" was inconsistent with how I felt on the bikes and sold them.

Whether I wore the REP or the GEN I "felt" no difference so I sold the GEN. Beleive me, buying a gen is a mental exercise in rationalization. I find the REPs are extremely good. Perhaps better and more consistent than the real thing coming in a few years or months, Even the $300 pieces.

I would say most of us can afford an $8500 watch (bought from $7K for a TD). We decide to do other things with the money or just invest it.
I don't see me buying any gen over $600 anymore. I like my Seiko and Citizen solar watches as daily beaters. I wear the REPs when I go out.

People buy exclusivity all the time. They go to Ruths Chris for a $45 steak.....The steak is no better than Outback AFAIK. The $10 side of broccoli
is worth $2. But its an "exclusive" dining experience that doesn't deal with "riff-raff" one would find at Golden Corral. People buy $60K Caddilacs because they can. It's no better than my 4Runner AFAIK. If they made a REP of a Denali who would buy it?

medusa95

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/12/17
It's the same with clothes, shoes etc.. The "rep" communities are so hung up on the slightest errors that would easily pass on a legit factory QC.
Always striving for the best reps :D

Reactions: SubVette

peterpl

24/7/11
WTF look at the angle of the pic. Its all aligned perfectly. If you look at the engraved rehault of the other letters around the dial its all centered - meaning the 12 crown engraving will also be centered. LOL

Its the angle of the shot. Impossible to tell at that angle what your implying. I agree Rolex QC is not the best but its still very very very good.