• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWI guys would reject Gen watches as well haha

andyr

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/13
England
I’ve had two gen Breitlings that had dates that were too low or too high. I purchased them used so I don’t know how they actually left the factory. It bugged me much more than the same issue with a rep because they cost so much more.

Mine are slightly off laterally which isn't that noticeable, the height thing is more so and would bug me too. I'd avoid wearing it on the bad date days ????.

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
There will always be instances when a gen will be flawed. However, generally speaking, QC processes are more robust from the gen manufacturer, and there will also be a warranty or guarantee which provides security and piece of mind to people buying gen. For me, I think subconsciously those things (better QC, after sales care and warranty) mean that I will not scrutinise the watch so closely.

It could also possibly boil down to. A) When buying a gen, you WANT to believe it is perfect, and will do your best to gloss over , not identify or ignore flaws . Compared to B) you already know you are buying a rep, and are on the look out for flaws to validate your choice of rep.

I can accept a rep with flaws....I have a post that I submitted on repgeek (will post here once I can upload pics) about my laughably bad aqua terra rep. I love that watch, even though it is terrible and the rep itself is flawed and not an accurate reproduction. But those flaws were not just with my watch. I could have picked up any particular watch from that production batch, and they would all have been laughably flawed. I can accept that, as it is an even playing field.

What i find hard to stomach is when buying a rep , any rep, from a TD, it sometimes feels like it is pot luck and the quality is dependent on which watch they happen to get from the factory. i.e if i had of been allocated the watch produced 5 mins earlier, i would have got an (as near as damn it) flawless super rep, yet, due to no fault of my own, I got might the one with crooked markers, misaligned rehaut etc etc etc.....

ZD82

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
When your gen has a flaw you accept it because it's still a gen.

interesting way to look at it. I would me more upset as I spent $10,000 on it instead of 400. Just knowing its gen doesn't do much for me at all.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
interesting way to look at it. I would me more upset as I spent $10,000 on it instead of 400. Just knowing its gen doesn't do much for me at all.

I think your way is much more interesting. Because if your reasoning for spending $10,000 is to get a watch that is 100% perfect then you should change your hobby. not even 100k Langes / Pateks are perfect :)

JDnTexas

Known Member
20/11/17
Quote from a moderator at Rolex forums:

“Goodness, another victim of Internet hype and a powerful loupe...

There is no real "mis-alignment"... it's simply a function of what is termed "tolerance stacking" where the tolerence of the engraving and the tolerance of the paint on the dial, and the tolerance of the installation of the dial on the movement, and the tolerance of the movement in the case, all stack up in one direction rather than randomly to offset one another...

I can't believe that this really bothers some people, but still, you can certainly bring it to the attention of the RSC and see if they can alleviate your pain.”

It is indeed not a flaw and just a variation in tolerance when the watch is made. So when the TD says per gen... they are actually correct in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: SuperLory

71bucks

18/5/10
I"m glad I read this thread. I never was looking for perfection from reps but I'd be expecting it from gens; I feel better about my reps' imperfections now.

Reactions: Tigerdragon

SubVette

Known Member
26/4/18
Replica watch purchases get scrutinized so much more than the purchase of a gen watch. It's gotten ridiculous.

LOL Ya Think? I think some would reject a GEN if it were pictured. and would not spend $350 for it. I just sold a couple watches on Rep Geek. Sold for $250 each net. These were $348 watches I never wore. That was my limit for REPS $350. I just don't see the value in the latest $500 pieces. They STILL have flaws. Until one comes out with a perfect replica, I will stay under the $350 window. Everyday people cannot call out a $300 REP. Most people don't know or care what kind of watch I am wearing.

Last edited:

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
I think your way is much more interesting. Because if your reasoning for spending $10,000 is to get a watch that is 100% perfect then you should change your hobby. not even 100k Langes / Pateks are perfect :)

the argument was never about perfection. it was about basic things like lining up dials and date wheels. That is hardly too much to ask for on a 10 grand watch. Just questioning the reasoning that you are ok with substandard work only because you know its gen........

JDnTexas

Known Member
20/11/17
From a moderator on Rolex forums:
“There is no real "mis-alignment"... it's simply a function of what is termed "tolerance stacking" where the tolerance of the engraving and the tolerance of the paint on the dial, and the tolerance of the installation of the dial on the movement, and the tolerance of the movement in the case, all stack up in one direction rather than randomly to offset one another...

I can't believe that this really bothers some people, but still, you can certainly bring it to the attention of the RSC and see if they can alleviate your pain..’”

Personally I find this to be correct. Gen or rep it’s not something I would loose any sleep over, nor something I would feel justified in rejecting a watch over.

If it does keep you up at night, might ask your watchsmith to take care of it for you when you get it serviced.

Sent from the RWI App

JDnTexas

Known Member
20/11/17
Apologies for the double post. More RWI app issues on iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Guys what? Misaligned rehaut or crooked glasses are now "tolerances" we are speaking about 8500 dollar watches and sometimes even more i want perfection because i pay a lot of money for it. You dont pay a Ferrari and say "ohhhh the logo is crooked but its ok" wtf

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Guys what? Misaligned rehaut or crooked glasses are now "tolerances" we are speaking about 8500 dollar watches and sometimes even more i want perfection because i pay a lot of money for it. You dont pay a Ferrari and say "ohhhh the logo is crooked but its ok" wtf

Lol do you know how many bodypanels don't align up perfectly on supercars?? It's way worse than on a Ford production car.

There are "generally acceptable tolerances" and then there are your own acceptable tolerances, if you're not happy with any minor flaws a gen-watch may have in your eyes, noone is forcing you to buy it or you could wait until you find a piece that's acceptable to you.

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
Lol do you know how many bodypanels don't align up perfectly on supercars?? It's way worse than on a Ford production car.

There are "generally acceptable tolerances" and then there are your own acceptable tolerances, if you're not happy with any minor flaws a gen-watch may have in your eyes, noone is forcing you to buy it or you could wait until you find a piece that's acceptable to you.

you keep banging on about supercars and "tolerances". this is about date wheels and markers, nowhere near as complicated as any car, much less a supercar. Thanks for stating the obvious as well, I did not know I wasn't being forced to buy until you mentioned it. cheers.

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12

fyi, supercar companies like Pagani and Koenigsegg spend hours trying to make carbon fibre weave line up perfectly., even on the body panels that nobody looks at. Luxury buyers do not accept basic flaws for goods they pay top dollars for.

example here http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/2012-pagani-zonda-r-evo-body.jpg

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13

Thats why i don't buy Gens correct because iam done with the lazy "thats in the tolerances" speaking from big companys who earn a shit tone of money.

Do you really want to say that a misaligned rehaut is just a "flaw" hell even i could fix that. Or misaligned date glasses you really believe its that "hard" in production to put the right "zoom" on the lense? There are still mistakes with 1.5 zoom instead of 2.0 magnification glasses and crooked ones.

Unbelievable that you would spend 8500 USD and more for it YOU pay for the premium feeling so it must be perfect. Thats why big companys can go away with shit like that because everyone accept the "in tolerance" non sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: SubVette and fradic

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
you keep banging on about supercars and "tolerances". this is about date wheels and markers, nowhere near as complicated as any car, much less a supercar. Thanks for stating the obvious as well, I did not know I wasn't being forced to buy until you mentioned it. cheers.

"keep banging on" ? This is the first time I mention it, and it was only as a reply to the other guy who brought it up in the first place, so keep calm Susy.​​​​​

Thats why i don't buy Gens correct because iam done with the lazy "thats in the tolerances" speaking from big companys who earn a shit tone of money.

Do you really want to say that a misaligned rehaut is just a "flaw" hell even i could fix that. Or misaligned date glasses you really believe its that "hard" in production to put the right "zoom" on the lense? There are still mistakes with 1.5 zoom instead of 2.0 magnification glasses and crooked ones.

Unbelievable that you would spend 8500 USD and more for it YOU pay for the premium feeling so it must be perfect. Thats why big companys can go away with shit like that because everyone accept the "in tolerance" non sense.

If you want perfection when you spend 8500 USD, then honestly don't look towards buying luxury watches with that money if you can't accept that. While I wouldn't say everyone "accepts" the "in tolerance", I would say most people that buy gen just don't really care that much..