• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Rep vs Gen Ceramic Bezel Durability

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Anyone have thoughts on the durability, or lack there of, of Rolex rep ceramic bezels vs gen? I've noticed some of the reps in the for sale section that are more than a year or two old tend to look a little beaten up. I'm new to the hobby, so just curious if this is to be expected with most rep ceramic bezels (ie they will scuff, scratch, chip, etc. much easier than a gen).

Dirkjon

Supporter
Certified
15/4/12
USA
I've had a Noob v9 and the insert marker paint didn't hold up very well at all.....blistered. Have an ARF v3 and had the same issue. Replaced it with a Clean v2 insert and that has outlasted both of them so far. No issues with the insert chipping or scratching on any of them, just the paint issues on the markers. Fingers crossed for the Clean insert!

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Thanks for the info....so far as I can tell, the CF inserts look great. Good to hear yours is holding up well.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The only common issue that sets rep ceramic inserts apart from gens is paint wear in the markers. And often this is just dirt - the markers will brighten up again after a gentle wash. Ceramic inserts can also look a bit grubby on the surface, from finger marks or grease. No different to the gen in that respect. Apart from marker paint wear, I’ve never seen or owned a ceramic insert that looked scuffed, scratched or chipped. They can however be cracked, most often during removal or refitting - again, just like a gen.

CF inserts don’t have a particularly good reputation when it comes to the longevity of their marker paint, sadly.

But it’s really not hard to do a DIY fix on the markers with either a silver metallic acrylic paint pen (the “Molotov Mod”) or enamel paint (my preferred medium, as it’s more durable).

Last edited:

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
I saw the molotov mod referenced in a few sales listing and was wondering what that was...thanks. Acrylic paint is water soluble, so probably not the best long term solution! Sounds like enamel paint is the way to go.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I saw the molotov mod referenced in a few sales listing and was wondering what that was...thanks. Acrylic paint is water soluble, so probably not the best long term solution! Sounds like enamel paint is the way to go.
Acrylic paint can be thinned with water when it’s liquid. Once dried, it becomes a plastic and is no longer soluble. But it doesn’t “grip” the surface it’s painted on, and can be chipped/flaked and will wear off with time. So yes, enamel paint is more durable, and a better option.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I had or have a vrf gmt and I swapped out the insert and put in a gen. Rather than take off the bezel, I just wanted to break the garbage insert that came with it and wanted to just slip in the gen. So I got a dremmel and a diamond tipped drill bit and was drilling and drilling and drilling and the most I could do was burn off the platinum plating.

I've also had a few different models and on the quality we get from our TDs, they should last just fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sukwonee

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Has anyone experienced markers fading on the new VSF LN subs yet? Maybe they are too new to tell.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
I had or have a vrf gmt and I swapped out the insert and put in a gen. Rather than take off the bezel, I just wanted to break the garbage insert that came with it and wanted to just slip in the gen. So I got a dremmel and a diamond tipped drill bit and was drilling and drilling and drilling and the most I could do was burn off the platinum plating.

I've also had a few different models and on the quality we get from our TDs, they should last just fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wow...surprising to hear it was that durable. Would of thought a diamond drill bit would beat a ceramic bezel easily. Even of the drill bit was a bit worn...still impressive.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Its a shame the sputter coating process Rolex uses in their ceramic bezel engravings isn’t used by rep factories.

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Its a shame the sputter coating process Rolex uses in their ceramic bezel engravings isn’t used by rep factories.

Would be great as it seems like the markers are (or become) a major weak point for many, but it appears to be a very time consuming and expensive process to do it right (see interesting video link below on how Rolex makes their ceramic bezels). Probably a little much for the rep factories to undertake....unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbH16yT_sLg&feature=emb_logo

Dirkjon

Supporter
Certified
15/4/12
USA

Agreed. My Noob v9 flaked, my ARF v3 flaked. Have a Clean v2 and so far so good but if this one flakes I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the gen. A missed opportunity for the rep manufacturers imho.....I believe that they could do it and I'd be happy to pay for it.

Last edited:

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
I remember that when the CF came out they said that they used the platinum coating process, so is it no true? Do they just paint the markers like the other factories?

Dirkjon

Supporter
Certified
15/4/12
USA
I remember that when the CF came out they said that they used the platinum coating process, so is it no true? Do they just paint the markers like the other factories?

That was my understanding as well. See this post from Li at JTIME (@jtimewatch) where he references the "real platinum coating" about halfway down in his post: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...f-noob-and-vrf and this thread which, according to Li, was translated from the Clean factory's description when they first released the v1 bezel and insert: "1. The fading issue on the engraving is resolved." and: "2. The engraving is shallow just as same as genuine. We want to emphasis that the color coat inside engraving is not going to fade and they kindly offer free replacement if that happens." https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...anks-chinowolf

I guess time will tell....

Last edited:

VIV54

Renowned Member
13/12/17
That was my understanding as well. See this post from Li at JTIME (@jtimewatch) where he references the "real platinum coating" about halfway down in his post: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...f-noob-and-vrf and this thread which, according to Li, was translated from the Clean factory's description when they first released the v1 bezel and insert: "1. The fading issue on the engraving is resolved." and: "2. The engraving is shallow just as same as genuine. We want to emphasis that the color coat inside engraving is not going to fade and they kindly offer free replacement if that happens." https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...anks-chinowolf

I guess time will tell....

I'm not a rolex expert but actually CF insert have been around since 1-2 years, so maybe some Submariners affectionate can enlighten us?? Have you guys noted any fading or flaking or chipping on the insert marker?

CsViking

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
28/11/21
I've had a Noob v9 and the insert marker paint didn't hold up very well at all.....blistered. Have an ARF v3 and had the same issue. Replaced it with a Clean v2 insert and that has outlasted both of them so far. No issues with the insert chipping or scratching on any of them, just the paint issues on the markers. Fingers crossed for the Clean insert!

how the clean insert goes after a year? is it faded?

Dirkjon

Supporter
Certified
15/4/12
USA
how the clean insert goes after a year? is it faded?

I sold the watch that had the Clean insert, but for the 12 months or so that I had the watch, and wore it daily, the paint didn't fade or chip.