• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex GMT-Master I & II

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Are there any reps watches or cases readily available that will work with a 5.3mm crown, without leaving the gaps you get with a cartel case? I'm thinking Cartel price bracket rather than going down the Phong route...

Not at a cartel price point.

glock26

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/3/11
Looking for a vintage Pepsi best I could find is this guy http://puretime.watch/product/gmt-master-ii-16710-bluered-bezel-correct-hand-stack/ with correct hand stack sadly theres not a bunch of into about it. I emailed puretime. Never got something from them.

Anyone one have experience with a decent pepsi ?

RLX-2011-07-04-01-01.jpg

Bull05

20/10/15
Looking for a vintage Pepsi best I could find is this guy http://puretime.watch/product/gmt-master-ii-16710-bluered-bezel-correct-hand-stack/ with correct hand stack sadly theres not a bunch of into about it. I emailed puretime. Never got something from them.

Anyone one have experience with a decent pepsi ?

RLX-2011-07-04-01-01.jpg

Go check, under WBK forum. Stan has one but not sure if it is the one you are looking for.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb...-109)-Vintage-Rolex-GMTII!-Pepsi-Bezel!-PM-me

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Look on ebay for a genuine then you will see a correct hand stack. I think the order on a ceramic is hour , gmt. minute , secound but on a vintage 1675 its gmt ,hour, minute, secomd

twococonuts

Horology Curious
10/9/15
So I've got a Rolex GMT Master II in gold my uncle brought back from a business trip, but I'm struggling to find much info on the gen version...all I can find are versions with a black bezel, not green....?

2jfj9ub.jpg

PHILIP74

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
10/12/15
Alternate Universe
a question: but the third hand that indicates the time zone and 'operates regularly? sorry if you've written before, but I have not read

twococonuts

Horology Curious
10/9/15
a question: but the third hand that indicates the time zone and 'operates regularly? sorry if you've written before, but I have not read

Hi. From what I can tell yes, it works. However, setting it is not as easy as the genuine. On the genuine the crown has three different positions: 1 is winding, 2 is setting the normal hour hand as well as the date, and 3 for the 24 hour hand (third hand). Mine does have various crown positions, but one of them seems to be just setting the date on its own, and finding the position where i can move the 24 hour hand is a bit trial and error! It does seem to move as it should do though once set.

I may be completely wrong though as it seems a lot of people don't fully understand that third hand on the genuine, let alone a replica! :laugh: Happy to be corrected.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Hi. From what I can tell yes, it works. However, setting it is not as easy as the genuine. On the genuine the crown has three different positions: 1 is winding, 2 is setting the normal hour hand as well as the date, and 3 for the 24 hour hand (third hand). Mine does have various crown positions, but one of them seems to be just setting the date on its own, and finding the position where i can move the 24 hour hand is a bit trial and error! It does seem to move as it should do though once set.

I may be completely wrong though as it seems a lot of people don't fully understand that third hand on the genuine, let alone a replica! :laugh: Happy to be corrected.

On the GMTs that use the 2836 movement you set date and gmt from same position , clockwise date, counterclockwise gmt.

With genuine rolex I don't know but on a my new genuine Omega good planet the date and hour hand move in one position and the gmt and minute hand move in next position

where can i buy the best GMT pepsi ?

Look at our Trusted dealer list please don't be lazy, read the stickles for new members.

twococonuts

Horology Curious
10/9/15
On the GMTs that use the 2836 movement you set date and gmt from same position , clockwise date, counterclockwise gmt.

With genuine rolex I don't know but on a my new genuine Omega good planet the date and hour hand move in one position and the gmt and minute hand move in next position

Ahh ok...yeah after a little more messing about I found that the date and GMT hand seem to be set from the same position, but it's a little unpredictable as to whether the GMT hand will actually move or not...?! Bit fiddly but at least it works.

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Ahh ok...yeah after a little more messing about I found that the date and GMT hand seem to be set from the same position, but it's a little unpredictable as to whether the GMT hand will actually move or not...?! Bit fiddly but at least it works.

If its a swiss movement from a trusted dealer your probably lucky it works at all. The ETA 2836 that most people charge more for is in fact an old rebuilt movement unless you get a watch from BK then it is really new. Get an Asian 2836 less money, new and reliable, or buy the watch with cheapest movement and get a brand new one from O frei and have VAC install it.

D

d4m.test

Correct hand stack: on vintage models gen and rep are the same and the hand stack is correct: 6542 and 1675: (from the bottom) GMT/Hour/Minute/Second.
From the model 16570 onwards this was changed on the gen by introducing a quickset and the unmodified rep-movement is not able to replicate it.

Advantages on the rep with ICHS: the GMT function works and can be set independently in 1 hour increments as it is supposed to; the movement be it a 2813 or 2824/2836 is reliable; the date changes at midnight; My take on this: there is a lot of overblown hype around it, it doesn´t bother me at all and in a Years time You happen to "see" it maybe 3 or 4 times; if You´d ask a gen-owner without looking at his wrist to tell You if the hour hand moves over the GMT hand or below it he would not be able to tell, it´s a rep-forum issue; it´s visible twice a day for some minutes in a 24 hr cycle, otherwise only on sharp and overblown pics with the right angle;
Solution: if it really bothers You, You can always set the GMT-time to do this at times You are not around strangers,

Rep with CHS correct hand stack: as above 6542 and 1675 vintages are correct and reliable anyway;
Modern GMT´s: mostly unreliable, specially if You use/set the GMT time; as the hour hand is used to put the GMT-hand this is modified and geared to turn in 24 hrs (instead of 12); with the modification the hour hand gets disconnected from the datewheel so the date will not change over when the hour-hand crosses midnight; personally this would bother me more and probably it´s more of a tell than the ICHS. (what was the hour-hand is now the GMT-hand on the CHS 2836); As long as You never set GMT-time this will work, You may damage the movement on the very first time You set GMT-time independently.

Beware of yet another model where the GMT time cannot be independently set: the GMT hand always moves as 24 hour indicator together with the hour hand and there is no way to independently set the GMT-time. The only way to use it as a GMT is if the outer bezel (sometimes used for a 3rd time zone) is turned and it´s neither very functional nor does it look right.

On a side-note: the ICHS/CHS debate has been going on for Years while only in 2015 the much better silver paint on the outer bezel numbers was introduced, before it was just simple white instead of sparkling. Imho that was much more of a tell than the ICHS and still it was the latter everybody was worrying about.

On another side note: my 16570 ICHS Explorer II, besides the red Tudor Blackbay is one of the rep watches I´ve worn most in public in the last couple of Years and the ICHS simply has been a non-issue:) Use it and be happy...
The 2nd pic is much closer than wrist-distance
IMG_2522cr.jpg

expl2_3304.jpg

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Only us crazy people care about this stuff, No normal public person could give a damn about a watch, most jewelers cant even tell the difference. I love my watches and I love learning and understanding and making my REPs better but I do it for me no one else. I do have one stuck up cousin around him I wear a genuine Omega and he never says a word. One day I will get a genuine 5513 or 16600 or 16570 and then see if he tries to call it out that's when I will school his snotty little ass... Today at work I'm wearing a PAM 388 rep on one wrist and a fit bit Surge on the other, the guy in the office next to me is wearing some insane Garmin that has a compass and a whole lot of other crazy shit.... It is pretty cool though!

twococonuts

Horology Curious
10/9/15
Brilliant post Daywatch, really useful stuff. Mine is stacked GMT at the bottom, hour, minute, second. As mentioned, setting it seems very hit or miss as to whether the GMT hand moves on its own or not, so I'm definitely going to leave it alone. It's not something I'd ever use anyway tbh! As Thrasher says though, it's interesting stuff to learn about and I enjoy finding the differences between gen and rep (and even between different rep's!). I like to understand everything my watches can do (or not do).

I also remember reading on a Rolex forum a few years ago people saying things like 'look for the etched crown logo in the glass at 6 o clock', 'look for ROLEXROLEXROLEX repeating on the rehaut' etc., and these days the reps have all that...I'd rather have the aesthetic stuff like that be correct than the GMT hand functioning correctly, otherwise if I really relied on my watch for that sort of function I'd lay down some cash for a genuine watch that can give me that.

D

d4m.test

Brilliant post Daywatch, really useful stuff. Mine is stacked GMT at the bottom, hour, minute, second. As mentioned, setting it seems very hit or miss as to whether the GMT hand moves on its own or not, so I'm definitely going to leave it alone. It's not something I'd ever use anyway tbh! As Thrasher says though, it's interesting stuff to learn about and I enjoy finding the differences between gen and rep (and even between different rep's!). I like to understand everything my watches can do (or not do).

I also remember reading on a Rolex forum a few years ago people saying things like 'look for the etched crown logo in the glass at 6 o clock', 'look for ROLEXROLEXROLEX repeating on the rehaut' etc., and these days the reps have all that...I'd rather have the aesthetic stuff like that be correct than the GMT hand functioning correctly, otherwise if I really relied on my watch for that sort of function I'd lay down some cash for a genuine watch that can give me that.
Thanks, on all models with stacked GMT at the bottom, hour, minute, second (which is CHS for vintage models and also ICHS for modern models) You can set the GMT hand independently in the date setting position: one way it changes the date, the other way it moves the GMT hand in 1-hr, jumping increments).
This rep works well, it´s reliable and can perfectly be used as a GMT watch and for different time-zones as I do on my Explorer II above.

twococonuts

Horology Curious
10/9/15
Aha! Finally got the hang of it, I kept missing the fact turning the crown one way changes the date, the other controls the GMT hand. :blush: it is still a little hit or miss though, sometimes the GMT hand just bends slightly and doesn't move, so need to jiggle the crown about a bit. Good news is it's finally set properly, and will be going in the winder so I don't have to keep messing about trying to set it properly each time! I don't use the GMT feature but i'd rather it was properly set or it'll bug me otherwise...

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
I have a thing for GMTs and I want them to work. My 1675 works perfectly though someone said the gmt hand is suppose to follow the hour hand and your suppose to move the bezel about to the time zone your going to, Me I don't care I had the gmt function enabled on my 1675 by RA and that is it accurate or not I don't care.