• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex GMT II C V2 and V3 comparison

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
When I started collecting replicas my first 7 watch were all Rolex. The GMT was always my favorite watch and until today I think I had 7 different GMT’s. In my opinion the GMT II C is a must have watch.
In my counting we have now version 3. The first GMT II C came out and was called the Anniversary Model, the second version was called The Ultimate and now the latest version is called The Ultimade Best Version. There are many different reviews and comparisons between the The Ultimate and the gen, By-Tor has a review over at RWG and another comparison is from Dan ( dtan888 ) over on RG. So I do not want to compare the basics of this watch, I like to compare the improvements from V2 to V3. What is the difference now from the engine? The V3 comes with a Nickle plated Asian clone (Rolex 3186) Automatic Movement, 25J and 28800bph. Some of the gears are painted in red and it has a dummy bridge installed, you also can get this ‘3186’ movement based on ETA 2836-2 technology. I decided for the Asian clone.

GMTIICcompare004.jpg

GMTIICcompare008.jpg

The big difference now with the new movement compared to the Ultimate version is the setting of the GMT hand. The Best version comes with the incorrect hand stack, the 24h hand is placed under the hour hand, you need to look with a loupe to see it. Regarding By-Tor’s post the visual problem with the WHS occurs only one time during the day when the hour hand and the 24h hand meet. With this new movement you can set the GMT hand in increments of 1 h steps. That is a big improvement compare to the V2. I always like to have the GMT hand at the right position, so when it is 10 am I would like to see the GMT hand also on 10 and not a mm before 10. With my old version it happened that I was setting the GMT hand and when I pushed in the crown, the hand move a mm .

GMTIICcompare050.jpg

GMTIICcompare048.jpg

Next improvement is the Bezel. The Bezel from the V3 is more shine then the v2 bezel. So it looks more gen. The size of the bezel is different, V2 is 40.4mm wide an 3.1 mm high, the V3 is 40.7 mm wide and 3.3 mm high. We will see this 0.2 mm difference also in the crystal. The V2 crystal is 30.7mm and 1.98 mm thick, the V3 crystal is 30.7 mm and 2.18 mm thick. This is very important to know, if you want to mod your crystal you cannot use a clark or any other aftermarket crystal, they are all 1.98 mm thick, otherwise your watch would look like this.

GMTwrongcrystal.jpg

Best improvent is the inlay for the bezel, the numbers are a 1/10 of a mm bigger, they are a little deeper and they have the right color now, more silver / white / grey like the Gen. Just take a look of the inlay in the bezel, it is recessed compare to the V2 version and so is the gen GMT. Also the high of the crystal of the V3 version is now perfect, V2 crystal was too high compare to gen.
V2

GMTIICcompare060.jpg

V3

GMTIICcompare067.jpg

The crown on the v3 is .3 mm shorter then the V2 version. I do not know how the gen is but compared with some gen internet pictures I would say the crown on the v3 version is better

GMTIICcompare003.jpg

The v3 is offered with solid 316 L stainless steel, I did not recognize any difference but I would like to test this with a Niton XL3 from MaddogUK.
The lume on the watch is not bad, it is better then the v2 version and you can still see the time after 5h.

GMTIICcompare070.jpg

Conclusions: The v2 is already an outstanding rep. please see my test here in RWI and make up your own mind on the answers from our members.
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/gmt-riddle-for-sat-afternoon-50152
The new Ultimate best version shows some good improvements, I would say it’s as good as it’s going to get. They day will come and they will fix the non-symmetric rehaut engraving, and we have the Super Replica Ultimate GMT II C, but for now I would call it one of the best reps out of the box. And the question to me is really, would anybody recognize the noon-symmetric engraving when you sit at a table and people look at your watch?
Regarding my GMT II C, I wanted AR coating on that crystal, so I sent the watch to find dd and here you can see the results. The glare on the cyclops is gone and the dial comes out very nice. Fine dd is also offering to take the AR off after the crystal is coated and the cyclops is mounted again or he takes the upper AR coating away so you end up with single coating. I am sticking with double AR on this one, I do not care if the gen doesn’t have it, I like it and I can always tell that I modded the crystal because Rolex doesn’t do AR. Some people run a PVD job an a Rolex, so why not AR when it improves the look and feel.

Thanks to Precious Time for delivering this beautiful watch

GMTIICcompare033.jpg

GMTIICcompare013.jpg

GMTIICcompare009.jpg

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Definitely v3 is an improvement. How's the beat for the Asian Clone? I may get this version also.

For the cyclop AR, stay tune, we have something coming up :p

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Nice job, guru. You know my views on these two reps. They're both outstanding but the latest model takes the crown because of the hour hand operation and the better insert. That alone is worth the extra money. I personally still don't like the fact that it's ICHS (I can tell at any time of the day, just have a close look near the stem).. but with the improved operation, it doesn't matter so much. I have one of these incoming, and I will throw in one of the very few trouble-free CHS movements from my V2, as well as a vac-lumed dial. Then I think I'm done with this rep. Thanks again for the great post.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
If there was ever a rolex to get me hooked on them again this would be it!

ami

Horology Curious
27/10/09
Great review Guru!!
How long has the v3 been available from our dealers? Its just I got mine (Asian 2836-2 movement) from Hont just before Xmas so was wondering which version it was.

Taka - can't wait for your cyclop AR solution as this is a mod I really want for my GMT IIc.

sinda67

9/2/10
Whats the overall thoughts on the Rolex Clone movement? Any long term reports? I justed ordered the same exact piece. I did ready someplace about the cover over the rotor screw falling out on someones watch and the fake bridge screw was not tight. Early QC problems perhaps? I am looking forward to see it soon in person!!

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Whats the overall thoughts on the Rolex Clone movement? Any long term reports? I justed ordered the same exact piece. I did ready someplace about the cover over the rotor screw falling out on someones watch and the fake bridge screw was not tight. Early QC problems perhaps? I am looking forward to see it soon in person!!

How can you expect long term reports when the movement just came out? People have been happy with the old movement in terms of reliability. Regarding the QC problems, that can happen with all other movements too. I checked the screws on mine and all were fine

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
The one on the left is gen... Right ?

What ?

Wrong topic ?:biglaugh:

Too bad I'm not into Rolex, it seems when they want, rep manufacturers can do very good things...

jy6221

7/7/09
wow the AR mod on the V3 looks great! I can't wait to see cyclops AR mods... It's hard to believe Rolex dont use AR when it improves the look of the watch sooooo much!

+1 rooster - not keen on the WHS. I know that CHS had loads of issues in the past, though, would be great if they could sort it out!

Quick question - is the noob gmt IIc the V2 or a completely different verision?

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

Great comparison, my friend!

...I just missed the clasp pic there. I heard this V3 comes with a better clasp, same as the Milgauss and Submariner Ceramic engravings. Deep and sharp, is that correct?

I´m just waiting to see a GMT with that clasp to pull the trigger on.

Outstanding photos, guru!
Cheers,
Spirit.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Wow ... great timing for me. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the GMT II V3 right after the CNY, and I found this review very helpful, indeed ... Thanks, Guru !

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Interesting review. Great pics as always.

I am still a bit wary of these new "Rolex clone" movements. Adding things that are not necessary may lead to additional problems. Have you seen the new V3 with ETA clone movements yet?

I'm just asking because I want to get me one for my upcoming birthday ;)

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
Interesting review. Great pics as always.

I am still a bit wary of these new "Rolex clone" movements. Adding things that are not necessary may lead to additional problems. Have you seen the new V3 with ETA clone movements yet?

I'm just asking because I want to get me one for my upcoming birthday ;)

I have only seen the V3's with the 3186 movement and then I believe, the GMT hand will not move in hour increments

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
great work mate ........... I must get my GMT tiger-eye the ar treatment ???????????
im off to pm Fine dd now about it ......

ryanh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/09
aaawwwwww, man!! why did you have to go and do that to me...??..!!!

I was PERFECTLY happy with the one I got from PT last fall, UNTIL NOW!!!

Now I have to go get the new version.....

Seriously though, the one I have (which I'm assuming is the v2) is a great rep and a great watch - this one seems to have addressed the few minor annoyances that I had about it, mainly the crown. If the lume is better on the v3, then it's a done deal - I have to have one!

Thanks Guru!!