• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Roger Dubuis Excalibur Knights of the Round Table

GhostPilot

14/6/15
Indeed, a lot of these crowdfunded watches tend to steer towards the "homage" territory to avoid legal issues. It's a pity really considering they only need a bit more work to make a good rep, but then the creator's are only aiming to have a single production run which touches on the MOQ of about 150-200 watches.

Many of these homages have minute differences to the originals, such as hands shape, crown position, bracelet screw size etc. while some of them have ridiculously made-up names and logos on the dial, in lieu of a sterile dial option.

For some reason on this particular watch I'd rather get a homage version instead of a rep.

Looks way better without the RD name on the rehaut and less bezel indentations. I also like the darker dial, makes the knights stand out even more, which is what this watch is all about.

A nice piece that I would prob only wear 4-5 times in a year but would still like to aquire for it's uniqueness. Too bad the chances of getting one are next to impossible.

mujidominic

Renowned Member
28/8/15
well the grey market is there, but it comes at a ridiculous price :02.47-tranquillity:
55EC8A84-7094-4CCF-A771-E39EA64B6BD2_zpsose5pq96.png

atgm

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
21/11/15
Looks way better without the RD name on the rehaut and less bezel indentations. I also like the darker dial, makes the knights stand out even more, which is what this watch is all about.

I agree about the lack of a name, but the plain steel rehaut doesn't sit well with me... the roughness/indentations definitely helped the look. Maybe something more stylized, like a stone or plaster textured engraving on the rehaut? Something about the smooth, shiny steel just doesn't work for me.

piero980

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/16
I agree about the lack of a name, but the plain steel rehaut doesn't sit well with me... the roughness/indentations definitely helped the look. Maybe something more stylized, like a stone or plaster textured engraving on the rehaut? Something about the smooth, shiny steel just doesn't work for me.
Absolutely agree!!!

hkbob

Horology Curious
29/1/17
I was probably among the 1st 20 joiners of this 200 limited edition run. Just sharing what I know. My 1st post here, but have benefited a lot from this site (thanks for that !!)

This watch was originally offered about 18 months ago for RMB 4000, then raised to 4,500. It ended up with two versions, the seagull 2130 movement, or the ETA 2824 (so the project masters claimed). The ETA variant added RMB 750 to the cost. You can't tell which movement at all from the outside.

The original intent was a homage with substantially the same look as the original. Maybe 6 months ago, the project masters got a letter from RD, which derailed many of the details originally intended (pattern on the dial had to be modified, ended up with 12 indentations on the bezel instead of 24, triple lugs gave way to regular double lugs, etc.) It was disappointing to end up looking so different from the RD, but it's quite striking in its own right. I've held both the RD and this homage in my hands: while the cost of the homage is < 1%, the impact value is easily > 50%. There are only 28 originals, and 200 homages of this watch. Having said that, the details on the figurines aren't near the original.

This watch was the project of a young entrepreneur (and his cohorts going by the brand of Le Eternity, which has done multiple high-quality crowd-funded watches before, most notably Turbillions). Different parts of the watch were designed, ordered and manufactured from different suppliers. Even if you knew which factory it came from, that information wouldn't be very meaningful.

Several people in the group bought multiple watches for resale. So it's possible to buy one at an inflated cost. For interested buyers, the most likely way to work is cash-on-delivery via SF (Shun-Feng) Express delivery service. I am happy to leave a message in the original-buyers-only QQ chat group. The deal will be between you and the seller.

There is a minor revolt among some buyers. Some have formed an ad-hoc group to force the project masters to modify this watch further to return to the original RD look (and throw more money into it). The saga continues after everybody returns from the Chinese New Year holidays.

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
@hkbob Thank you so much for the detailed information on this homage! Quite an interesting story. Do you have any pictures to share of yours?

I'd be really interested to see what happens with that revolt... keep us informed. :)

Hyjynx

28/9/13
@hkbob thanks so much for the information. Maybe we can draw the maker to the dark side. Do keep us updated. [emoji16]

hkbob

Horology Curious
29/1/17
A few of my own amateur photos from an average phone camera (link below - sorry haven't figured out how to post photos).

The crowded-funded watch makers in China all graduated from the rep scene. Reverting to reps would be considered a big step back in prestige. It was surprising that they didn't stamp L. Eternity on the Round Table watch, something they did with all their previous watches. My guess is that the RD lawyer's letter really scared them witless - and that they really cared about the L. Eternity name.

The difficulty of micro-sculpture of the figurines was under-estimated, especially in quantity. Rumor in the QQ chat group is that most of the funding was spent on 3 successive tries to improve the details which, in the end, looked nowhere near the original. Based on this, I think another try at this watch won't happen anytime soon.

https://goo.gl/photos/BJBa7U1sjQ3uSEnP8

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Cool pictures. Nice touch using the Zenith Pilot for perspective, even if unintentionally. [emoji6][emoji106]

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Thanks. Despite the complaint, I think the Knights detail is very good for that size of a watch (about the size of a 44 mm PAM, right?) However, the rehaut is an unfortunate waste of good real estate. Something, anything in medieval font would have put this homage in a class of its own. Still, wear it with pride! [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hkbob

Horology Curious
29/1/17
It's a 45mm.
Details of re-work are supposed to start coming out tomorrow, but it will cost extra. After 18 months, most people don't want to go through the hassle again (myself included), but some diehards are stopping at nothing. I will keep everybody posted.

As promised, here are some original owners who are happy to sell (near cost) to anyone interested. If you are, please email the owner directly (in English or google-translated Chinese). I suggest cash-on-delivery, but it's strictly between the buyer & the seller.

#181, ETA movement, $765 (5200 RMB), [email protected]

#1, #94, #94, all Seagull ST 2130 movement, $735 each (5000 RMB), [email protected]

Brand new, never worn - so I've been told. Feel free to ask for more pictures, but honestly enough have been posted here.

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
@hkbob any details on what the rework is supposed to cost/entail?

hkbob

Horology Curious
29/1/17
The details of re-work came out ovenight. No cost estimate for any of them yet:

1. Path of least resistance: a) add 12 additional indentation to the bezel to match RD's 24, and b) add a small apperture behind each figurine (as in the original RD) to break up the monotony. (The watch is derisively called Knights of the Round Pot in the QQ chatgroup.) This will be done on a voluntary basis; it will take 2~3 months, and the watch meister (everyone calls him OOT) will pick up 2/3 of the final total cost - each buyer still has to chip in 1/3.

2. Shrink down the thickness: this will entail reworking the figurines, the dial, the case, and will end up costing more than the original price. OOT said he intends to launch v2, with shorter figurines, shrinking the overall thickness by 2mm, and a dial with "colors" (like RD's v1 enamel table ?). When v2 is available, buyers of v1 can exchange for new watch at 1/2 the price - again no cost estimate. v1 was over-promised and under-delivered (unlikely his other work before). Therefore OOT is keeping mum about v2 until a prototype is available.

A lot of disappointment with the details of the re-work. Luckily I never took this alternative seriously. If v2 ends up with the checkered pizza table, then I'd be very glad I got the current version.

Will keep everybody posted.

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
If v2 ends up with the checkered pizza table, then I'd be very glad I got the current version.

Heck, I might pop for the checkered pizza table -- that sounds amazing. ;)

Will keep everybody posted.

We all appreciate it! It's nice having an inside look at this thing.

@GhostPilot are you still following this?

wilzc

Known Member
27/2/16
Yeaaassss!!!

Details are pretty stunning!!

What metal was used for the figures? Bronze?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
IMG_3926.JPG They have 2 in at harrods in london, tried one on today :) worth more than my house but the fine watch room there is a wet dream!

Attachments

• IMG_3926.JPG
    IMG_3926.JPG
    427.9 KB · Views: 0