• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of TAG Heuer Link Automatic Chronograph 7750

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
PEhCWsK.jpg

I don't buy many watches, and when it comes to replicas I have "quality over quantity" approach. I often trade the watches I don't wear and I never make any "impulse buys", either. Also, when I'm in the verge of purchasing a new watch I always think "will it see any wrist time or not"?. But when I first saw this TAG rep I knew for sure that I would own it soon. I immediately started pestering Precious Time, my trusted dealer, and virtually forced him to get this watch into his stock. Needless to say my watch arrived well packaged and in absolutely perfect condition - quickly, and without any hassles, as usual. I rarely praise any dealers in my reviews but you really can't do it any better than PT.

It's not exaggeration to claim that the new TAG Link Automatic Chronograph is one of the most impressive & accurate replica watches. I almost pulled a trigger with Bentley, but since I already own a Breitling I decided to go with the TAG first. Yes, I didn't own a TAG - or any watch with blue face for that matter... and besides, I really like the looks of this particular model. It's very sporty - and the blue dial is very beautiful and captivating.

The dial is very tricky to photograph, because it has Seamaster-type "waves" (or perhaps "stripes" would be better word) on the center surface. The only way to bring up the "electric" effect is to shoot it with reflections:

V5l6pvA.jpg

The crown is a standard screw-down crown and it operates normally. Pushers are rather stiff but function firmly and solidly.

The replica factories and our dealers have been spoiling us with absolutely stunning replica watches recently. PO 4th Gen and 45mm, Breitling Bentley, IWC Jones & GST, and the new Navitimers. Accuracy and solid quality design (that we consider a standard now) has probably affected on the sales of less "perfect" models. This is, of course, unfortunate from the dealers' point of view. Members have become more "anal" than ever before, and we've had a few discussions about this lately. Still, I want to believe that our "anal retentive feedback" can help the factories to build better and more accurate models.

Due to aggressive marketing (using sports heroes like Tiger Woods and Kimi Raikkonen... and Hollywood celebrities like Uma Thurman and Brad Pitt in their advertising) TAG Heuer has built very solid and luxurious reputation among the non-watch enthusiast circles.

9U9YMTi.jpg

But hardcore WIS gang has always looked TAG down their noses. Probably because majority of TAG's sales come from grossly overpriced (and sometimes rather cheaply constructed) quartz models. WIS also think Heuer betrayed its roots when the company was bought by TAG in the mid-eighties... and as mentioned before, started moving their production more towards quartz-powered watches.

HERE is a link to a brief historical background of TAG and Heuer. Personally, I have always been quite a fan of some Heuer/TAG models. I used to own a genuine Aquaracer quartz two-tone watch and I have nothing but good to say about it. Tag Aquaracer 2000 Chronograph is one of the best looking chronograph watches I've seen, and I'm anxiously awaiting for a good rep. And while I have to admit that most of TAG advertising is rather pretentious, at least they don't claim that "It takes a year to build a TAG Heuer".

Quartz models aside, TAG's higher end chronograph line (Link, Aquaracer 2000/Aquagraph, Monaco, Carrera) belong to the same category with other mid-luxury brands (such as Breitling, Omega and Ebel). All these brands, like TAG, use outhouse movements and heavily base their chronograph line on Valjoux 7750. The Link Chronograph Calibre 36 even uses the mighty 36,000 vibrations per hour El Primero, which pushes it to the Daytona/ Broad Arrow/ Zenith heavyweight class. Perhaps not horologically (due to outhouse movement), but at least from practical and technical standpoint. So it's quite fair to say that (besides overpriced, overhyped quartz models) TAG also makes some very impressive sports chronographs.

Like the replica of Breitling "Fighters" model, this watch has perfect subdial spacing. This is still rare to see, even on high-end replica watches that our fantastic dealers can source for us. It was almost impossible to find anything other than factory pictures for reference, so I constructed this rather poor and small comparison shot. Don't be fooled by the different lighting and photographing conditions: the only difference I'm able to spot is the larger date window on the genuine. Or perhaps it's just the factory pic that makes it look that way?

HI9Tnpb.jpg

The perfect subdial spacing is possible due the basic 7750 construction (12-9-6 subregister arrangement), which the new, high beat 28.800bph Asian copy of the 7750 imitates naturally. This new 7750 movement is among the most discussed topics on the rep community right now. If it turns out to be reliable... only sky is the limit... and we have a lot of watches to buy.

This basic subdial arrangement makes a movement swap to genuine ETA Valjoux possible (if the original movement fails). Ziggy reports that this new, high-beat Asian 7750 should be much better built than the old movement. He has only reviewed the infamous "seconds at 6" version so far... but according to the report the movement itself should be good. Rep of TAG Link Chronograph is running in its natural evinronment (12-9-6), which hopefully improves the reliability. But only time will tell I guess...

Movement. Picture borrowed from the Zigmeister.​

0LZMY8n.jpg

There are whoppin' eight different replica variations of the TAG Link Automatic Chronograph. It's available in black, white and blue with brushed bezel... and in grey, white and blue with polished bezel. In my version TACHYMETER is printed on the bezel surface, while it's positioned on the "inner ring" on the brushed versions.

TAG's official site lists only 4 variations of the standard model. According to the site the "brushed bezel" version comes only in black and white, and the "polished" ones only in grey and blue (my watch). First I was sure that the replica factories have screwed up again and put out 2 stupid fantasy models, and adviced Precious Time to NOT include those watches in his stock. Then I found the blue "brushed" version listed for sale on watchesonnet.com[/url]. This makes me suspect that the white "polished" version could also be available on request. The jury is still out on that one.

I constructed a "mosaic picture" of the all available 8 replica models which is quite impressive (the model repertoire, not my picture). Just keep in mind that a while ago we didn't have ANY decent TAG replicas. Source images are courtesy of Joshua (www.perfect-clones.com). I hope he doesn't mind me using them. Let it be known that my goal is not to endorse or put down his (or any other dealers') products when comparing these watches, but just honestly point out the flaws for the members, as objectively as possible. And all our dealers (mostly) have access to same watches anyway...

Xa8cqjI.jpg

There are also a"Special Edition Ayrton Senna" version available in 2 colors, which is basically the same watch, with just Ayrton Senna signature on the dial and the green 9'o'clock small running seconds hand. Unfortunately I couldn't find enough accurate information of the "Senna" models for this review, but my friend Robertk owns this watch and praises its accuracy in his review.

I also like the "brushed" version very much (which Rolexman reviews and photographs HERE). He reports it's extremely well built replica and possesses instant quality feel. It looks to be just as accurate and it has more "rugged" appearance which I like. However, the datewheel in the "brushed" rep version is rather bad, which is clearly demonstrated in the next picture I constructed (again from Joshua's sales pictures).

jclt1c2.jpg

There are also excellent, Swiss ETA-powered reps of the standard, (non-chronograph) Link and Link GMT. When you examine the accuracy and quality of these new TAGs I think they are up par with the best Omega and PAM reps. Simply outstanding, and due to this sudden quality increase I suspect TAG might start getting more attention among the members, too.

The Link bracelet is a famous TAG "trademark", and will make this watch easily recognizable among the watch people... and perhaps even among non-watch people, too. It has very original and innovative design and it's completely different from all other sports watch bracelets. It's very attractive, goes really well with the brushed case and polished bezel... and feels comfortable on the wrist.

oSsKRqi.jpg

The Link bracelet has very "different" resizing method. It's not difficult with good instructions. That's why I have added a PDF file of the resizing process into this post (see the attachment). This very useful file was provided to us by a member called *engineer*. Big thanks!

The clasp shape is pretty original with the big, oversized fliplock:​
SvIz2eQ.jpg

Caseback with excellent, thick TRL. :)
XHX3sv2.jpg

SUMMARY: When you get a new watch you're always excited. It's difficult to remain 100% objective and sometimes I notice a small bias in my reviews when I look back at them. But no matter how much I tried to find flaws and problems from this watch I can't find much at all (except the mentioned smaller date window). I'm actually overwhelmed by this TAG - and almost can't believe the rep factories forged it this well. I actually find it a bit ironic: After 200 different Rolex Submariner incarnations the rep factories have barely approached excellent accuracy (design wise) on that MUCH simpler... and thousand times more popular watch... but they replicate an obscure and rather complicated model like this almost flawlessly... on their first try. I swear, it's a conspiracy!

Hope you enjoyed the review and found it useful. I really had a great time doing it... and learned a lot about TAG/Heuer during the process.

aJYr6sd.jpg

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
The grey-faced version of this is the first modern TAG I've liked. And I like it a lot. The 7750@28 is, according to Ziggy, virtually ETA-quality. In this 12-9-6 configuration, if it runs well at the beginning, it should run well for years. I'll be going into this in a lot more detail in a week or so when the GST returns from Canada, obviously.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Thanks Puggy.

Yeah, the grey version is equally beautiful... and accurate. But personally I'm more attracted to "clear-cut" watches... I mean, when hands and markers "shine out" clearly from the dial. The grey version is a bit too "fogged up" for me. It's the only thing I'm not crazy about my Ebel. Silver markers and hands on white dial. These watches are too understated and "stealthy" for my tastes.

Not to say the grey version isn't gorgeous...it is... but different strokes for different folks, again. ;)

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
By-Tor said:
Thanks Puggy.
I forgot to mention this is a great article, but that's cos I said it over in Are Double-Ewe Gee Twoooo. :D

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
I actually forgot the traditional "review wrist shot". So let's do it here. ;)

IMG_1832.jpg

VtommyRboy6

Known Member
26/7/06
Thanks By-Tor... you can add that one to my list now.

Great write up, keep up the good work!

Cheers
Tommy

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Thanks Tommy! ;)

Here's the only gen (non-factory) pic of the blue version I managed to find. I can't find ANY difference. Zero, zilch, zip. Not sure about the date window though. :shock: It might be 0.00001mm too small on the rep?

taglinkchrautost2lr6.jpg

thelawnmowerman

Renowned Member
2/4/06
Thanks By-tor great review
I've been looking at this watch also ,
I got the Tag brochure today , its amazing what you can get when you go into an AD well dressed
with a nice watch on( PO).
my m8 tried and he couldn't get one (same shop)

VtommyRboy6

Known Member
26/7/06
Hey ByTor, you like Rush? I used to be in the car business, up until about 5 months ago and Geddy Lee used to by all his Audis from me. Super guy, I also sold cars to his manager.

I have been to his house a couple of times, once for dinner and another time to pick up and drop off a car for service.

Hari Seldon

22/3/06
Great review By-Tor! Let us know how the chrono's and other mechanical aspects of this watch work for the next few days. I want to get one, but can't shell out the cash for the watch and a swiss 7750 at the moment.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
VtommyRboy6 said:
Hey ByTor, you like Rush? I used to be in the car business, up until about 5 months ago and Geddy Lee used to by all his Audis from me. Super guy, I also sold cars to his manager.

I have been to his house a couple of times, once for dinner and another time to pick up and drop off a car for service.

Wow!!! Audis...?

Goes well with his character. He has all the money in the world but drives an Audi! Don't get me wrong, it's a great, great car (I own a A6) but rich people usually buy Mercedes or Rolls Royces. ;)

I'm sure he's a great guy. Yeah, I'm a big fan... Rush and Led Zeppelin have always been my top bands. Saw Rush at Madison Square Garden 1994 during my NY trip. I wanted to go to Nassau Coliseum (Long Island) gig too, but couldn't get tickets. Also saw them at Globe Arena, Stockholm 2 years ago. What a memorable concert that was!

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
By-Tor said:
Rush and Led Zeppelin have always been my top bands.
How unusual. I was at school with John Paul Jones's daughter. :shock:

VtommyRboy6

Known Member
26/7/06
He has a whole fleet of other cars too but mostly Audi's, he says they are his all time favourite car. He has a Mercedes S600, a Range Rover, a BMW 7 Series and 3 Audis, a 250HP TT Roadster, an A8 and an A6.

His manager also owns 2 Audis.

kbsparks

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/06
Very Tempted

Thanks By-Tor for an excellent review. I have been wavering between the Link Chrono and a Moon Watch for some time and this may have pushed me over to the Tag.

Kevin

momsboy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/06
BY-Thor,,,,,your a Zep fan,,,have you herd the new wolfmother? Your review is insane, grt job, again.

koopia

21/7/06
This may be a stupid question but is it possible to put a leather strap on this watch?

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
koopia said:
This may be a stupid question but is it possible to put a leather strap on this watch?

I guess it's possible... but who would do it? I mean, it's called "Link". ;) For me that bracelet is one of the biggest draws of this watch.

koopia

21/7/06
Heh, well it seems to be a nice watch but I really don't like bracelets at all.
They keep pulling the hair off my wrist and it hurts :lol:

gs430

Horology Curious
16/3/06
koopia said:
Heh, well it seems to be a nice watch but I really don't like bracelets at all.
They keep pulling the hair off my wrist and it hurts :lol:

Buy a Wahl battery operated beard trimmer, set the "depth guage" to about 1/4 inch and trim away from the wrist bone up about an inch or so (both wrists).

Not only does it stop hair pulling from mesh and bracelets, it gives you a neater, trimmer look that the ladies love.

Then you can enjoy the feel of a massive sport watch hanging loosely on your wrist strengthening your bicep and tricep. Seriously, that's the besy way to eliminate the problem you describe and as a plus, it makes wearing a strap a bit cooler.

nate922

Horology Curious
28/7/06
brushed or polished

Does anyone know if the brushed models are exactly the same as the polished interms of build?

I've seen alot of dealers advertising the polished model as "2006" - seems the brushed model might be the older models?

Tag Link or Navitimer.. Help me decide!! :)