• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of Montblanc Timewalker Chronograph

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Re: Very nice!

sexypapa said:
What a review! :shock:
Very well detailed and explained.

But here is the part that I don't get it:
"The rep has three small marks between the minute marks. In the up-front comparison shot with subdial spacing measurement (the image before the macro), the left (gen) Timewalker has four small markers between the minute markers. Count them, it’s four (4) instead of three. Now look at the shot from the MB Catalogue (two images above the macro). Count the small markers in the gen. Three. Yes, 3."

Can you point this out by using a pic, if possible, to explain?
Thanks a lot!

If I may...

timewalkerheadsupkj1se9.jpg

TheTokyoKid

Known Member
17/5/07
Awesome Review! Keep 'em coming. I have been contemplating this watch for w while now! Might just have to get one....

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
As you can see in the picture posted by Pix, the Gen on the left has four small stripes between the large ones, the large ones being the minute markers.

This would be a rep flaw, but the strange thing is that the gen in the picture from the Montblanc catalog also just has 3 stripes between the minute markers. The catalog picture is on the left in the first side-by-side comparison shot and it is a scan from a Montblanc catalog I received just a few weeks ago.

The Montblanc website pictures also show the watches to have 4 markers. So it's strange how the online pictures don't correspond with the catalog. This could mean there are two versions, or that the watch in the catalog was some sort of prototype.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Or maybe TTK took the pictures for them ..?

:lol:

evilgenius88

Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
I almost feel like calling up Montblanc pretending to be a honest customer to ask them about the difference. It's quite an error to make, as the the catalog is really beautiful and done with great attention to detail. Never seen a high-end watch brand do this.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
A theory : MB have changed the movement for the second batch, this movement's accuracy goes to 1/25 against 1/20 for the previous one. So they changed the dial as well ?
The pics, even if from a recent catalogue won't be taken every year, therefore the "old" model shown.
Whatever the reason is, it's not a flaw for the rep. Except if the catalog modell has never bee sold, which I would highly doubt. Repmakers must have done the replication job not be looking at the catalogue, but using an actual watch.

Here a pic of the recent variation of the Timewalker Chrono (bicompax)
mtr_mb_06_0612_36972_01.jpg

It has also "only" 3 markers...

hxxp://www.photos-de-montres.com/galeri ... -149&pos=0
timewalker-chrono.jpg

And here the official pic on the reputable site thewatchquote : hxxp://www.lacotedesmontres.com/Prix-du ... o_5108.htm
19625.jpg

I think you raised some kind of enigma...

vdubpower

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/06
fabulous review. i have been wearing black one non stop. i recommend you get the bracelet. it is very nice and unique.
this has to be the most accurate rep out there. heck i may even get the silver one too

evilgenius88

Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
vdubpower said:
heck i may even get the silver one too

I thought of getting a black timewalker as well, but there are so many great reps I have on my wish list, it would be a shame to spend the cash on another timewalker. Now if they would rep the basic (non chrono) Timewalker in black, that I would buy.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
What about the GMT ?

Antonio_Montana

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/5/07
Excellent review!
I've just ordered this watch from Andrew ttwristwatch and can't wait for it to arrive! Since it arrived without customs problems to your address in the Netherlands, I assume it will for me too :)

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
this is an excellent review!!!!

i think most of the manufactures have un accurate photos on their web sites. panerai has an shot of the swiss made up against the 6 like our reps on their site and rolex shows a shot of a blue tt sub with a white date wheel and a black sub with a maxi dial with a fat minute hand. this seems to be common practice.

@ antonio montana, good name! lol 8)

Antonio_Montana

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/5/07
The first time I saw this Mont Blanc Timewalker I just had to get it....
D@mn I feel like a little kid waiting for its christmass presentssssssss! Waiting, the torture, and its only 5hours ago that I ordered.

Patience my son, patience. :roll:

Sylar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/1/07
Nice comparison, I have the black and have been comtemplating the silver face but keep procrastinating.

lancelink

Horology Curious
8/4/07
Top shelf review. Objective, detailed side by side comparison-one could hardly ask for more! Thanks for adding another watch to the wish list.
Lance

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Marinlicina-- I gotta tell you man. This is absolutely one of the best reviews of any rep I've ever read. Love the side-by-side comparison with the gen. We need a LOT more of these type of in-depth reviews. So, I hereby award you.... A STICKY!!!! Now future generations will be able to marvel in the joy of your review for all time.

evilgenius88

Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
Thanks Sean! I'm planning on doing this, but of course a little better, every time I get a new rep (unless it has already been reviewed), so look forward to see more.

maxse

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/11/06
excellent review!

Now we need someone with a GTM and the Pilot Chrono.

Question... Doesnt it make more sense to get the pilot chrono since you wouldnt have the problem of a recessed datewheel, would you?