• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: Breguet Classique Auto 5177 from MKS V3 (2023)

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
The rotor is gold not silver. This may be inaccurate per gen but honestly won't bother me or diminish my enjoyment of the piece.

we roll the dice

maxlex

Renowned Member
Supporter
27/12/15
The Netherlands
Hello everyone ! Today I will bring you my review of the newly upgraded Breguet Classique 5177 from the MKS factory that I have recently received. After being raided in early 2021 and subsequently forced to close its factory for a few months afterwards, MKS is back with a few IWC and Breguet replicas.

When it comes to the Breguet Classique 5177 white enamel dial, the two top factories in the game for the best replicas are FKF and MKS. Both of them offers great details even though finish can vary from one factory to another. Let’s also mention the new LTF factory which offers in my opinion the least appealing finish for the white dial with many visible flaws. I would like to point out that there are very few QC pictures publicly available for the LTF factory, so I can only judge from the pictures I see on TD's websites.

The reason I decided to choose MKS over FKF is because of the gen-like thickness the MKS version offers. I was also very curious to discover the changes between V2 and the new V3. Photos are mine, so please be indulgent :)

3wUbHJ.jpg

Dimensions:

In terms of size, the MKS replica is consistent with the original. The thickness of 8.8mm is probably what makes it the most desirable compared to the FKF V3 model and its 9.3mm, although the 0.5mm difference is negligible. The watch case has a diameter of 38mm, just like the genuine.​

3wWhK1.jpg

3wW29j.jpg

Dial:

The dial looks very similar from the gen and is made with real white enamel (not painted) and the hands of burnt blue steel. The dial has a very bright porcelain-like effect which makes the watch really appealing. The brightness, hardness and texture of the enamel has been improved compared to V2.

3wUSNo.jpg

It should be mentioned that the laser carved anti-counterfeiting logo under the axis and above the 6 is also quite perfectly represented by MKS.

3wUx1P.jpg

One of the complaints that was made with the MKS model was that the Breguet logo and numerals seemed bolder in comparison to the original. This is partly true, although after extensive research, it appears that some original models from early 2010 have this more or less pronounced feature. The pad/tampon printing process on the gens makes each dial unique, hence the differences in thickness from one series to another over the years.
3wUGtk.jpg

3wUF5D.jpg

3wniUJ.jpg

The Arabic numerals are not applied pieces and are printed. The printing is thick enough to be almost three-dimensional and reflective even without a loupe to hand. In contrast, the minutes track on the edge of the dial appears to be more finely printed - the type of printing one would expect normally.
3wUJMW.jpg

3wUVgS.jpg

The corners of the date window frame seem a bit sharp when zoomed in compared to gen, but conversely, I find the FKF factory ones a little too smooth. What do you think ?

3wUgoQ.jpg

Movement:

The movement inside this watch is a Japanese MIYOTA 9015 automatic movement at 28800vph modified to look like the original Cal.777Q. Just like all the Miyota 9015, it is a pretty robust movement that keeps good time. It should be noted that the rotor is particularly noisy on this one. The movement has also been re-engraved compared to V2, but a defect is to be deplored in the engraving of the number of jewels.
3wWDTL.jpg

3wWZ0R.jpg

Visually, I must say that I am rather disappointed with the lack of attention to detail that MKS has shown regarding the decoration of the movement. The FKF version is vastly superior in every way.

I have checked on the official Breguet website and looked at a photo of the back of the watch (photo shown below). I was surprised to discover that there was a mistake. It reads “Twenty-eight (28) jewels” instead of “Twenty-six (26) jewels”. The very same error has been reproduced by MKS. I came to the conclusion that they used photos as guidance to reproduce this model of watch and not a genuine watch like many other factories.

3wWz58.jpg

3wnYuL.jpg

3wn1ZR.jpg

Caution, a second thing to note is that the steel model from MKS has a yellow gold colored rotor. This is incorrect because the genuine steel model has a silver colored steel rotor. So be vigilant when you want to order the steel model. I advise you in this case to choose the FKF factory.
Strap & Buckle:

Nothing special to say about the buckle. This one seems rather robust and conforms to the original at first sight. Let’s see with time… Like all replicas, the leather strap is of poor quality. The leather is rather rigid and gives an unpleasant plastic effect. I therefore advise you to buy a good quality aftermarket leather strap that will give you optimal wearing comfort.

3wWHNv.jpg

Pros & Cons:

Pros:

-Thickness and diameter of the case conform to gen.
-Real enamel with bright white porcelain-like shiny finish.
- Nice rendering of the yellow gold case.

Cons:

- The dial font logo is still a bit too thick !
- Poorly decorated movement with the "28 jewels" typo.
- Noisy rotor.
- Bad leather strap quality.​
Thank you for this more then exellent review Sir!!

Reactions: stuxnet

hong999

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/1/19
The rotor is gold not silver. This may be inaccurate per gen but honestly won't bother me or diminish my enjoyment of the piece.

we roll the dice

Hi, may I know what is the diameter and thickness of your watch ?
I also booked 1 MKS from ChazingTime, hopefully getting the correct size (38mm x 8.8mm) for my watch.

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Hi, may I know what is the diameter and thickness of your watch ?
I also booked 1 MKS from ChazingTime, hopefully getting the correct size (38mm x 8.8mm) for my watch.

Here you go.

The rotor is gold not silver in color. Still, a nice rotor :)

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
What a good review, didnt know about this watch, love it!

hong999

25/1/19
Here you go.

The rotor is gold not silver in color. Still, a nice rotor :)

Thanks for sharing the dimension. It's a beautiful watch.
Just to reconfirm you are ordering v2 or v3 of MKS 5177 ?

Based on OP review, v3 is newer version with correct dimension of 38.5mm x 8.8mm.

Kurtoseas

That chill guy
Certified
8/10/22
Thanks a lot for the follow up pictures. It is interesting to see so many variants of the watch around. The one that you have is 38.5 mm wide with 9mm thickness and rose rotor, the one listed in steves website has a white color rotor and the original thread owners piece is 38mm wide with 8.8mm thickness. I am genuinely confused.
Anyway, I ordered mine from Steve and waiting for QC, let’s see.

DoctorStMoritz

Known Member
4/9/23
EU
Thank you very muck @Kurtoseas for your nice comments about my review, it is deeply appreciated.

I have bought it from mrmckhansi, he is my go to seller for my watches as he provides safe delivery from Europe. You can trust him with closed eyes as he is very trustworthy and will do anything to help you find the rep watch you dream for. Of course this service has a price which is higher than regular China TD.

If you want to go with TD's from China, you might want to check with Sead (Supermirrors), Lucy (Truetime) or Chazingtime. All three might be able to source one for you if factories are still manufacturing them as of today.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
Extremely informative and informatively exhausting post, big thank you to you. I'm already waiting for another essay from you. Interested in mrmckhansi. Hope I'll be able to reach him. Hope he's not based in the UK.

stuxnet

31/3/21
Just to reconfirm you are ordering v2 or v3 of MKS 5177 ?

Based on OP review, v3 is newer version with correct dimension of 38.5mm x 8.8mm.
I don't think V2 is manufactured anymore. So if you go the TD's route you'll have the latest one from factory.

The 9.0mm in einduna's picture is because the sapphire glass is curved plus the tolerance of the measuring instrument you have 8.8mm in reality. Only the one from FKF is like 0.3 mm thicker due to the more beautiful and realistic deco plate on top of the movement. I don't know if FKF is still providing them as of right now.

Hope this helps.

Kurtoseas

That chill guy
Certified
8/10/22
I don't think V2 is manufactured anymore. So if you go the TD's route you'll have the latest one from factory.

The 9.0mm in einduna's picture is because the sapphire glass is curved plus the tolerance of the measuring instrument you have 8.8mm in reality. Only the one from FKF is like 0.3 mm thicker due to the more beautiful and realistic deco plate on top of the movement. I don't know if FKF is still providing them as of right now.

Hope this helps.
Good clarification. Thanks!

hong999

25/1/19

Hope this helps.

Most RWI TDs only have MKS 5177 v2 listed in their website, not sure why they dont update the info / listed MKS v3 at their website.
I can only email ChazingTime and they confirmed they able to source the latest version MKS.

9.0mm thickness is fine for me, but the 38.5mm case and gold rotor at silver case suggest the 5177 is MKS v2, hence the reconfirmation with zinduna on which MKS version ordered. This will provide awareness to prospect buyer that MKS actually have v3 5177 available at correct size. The reason I ordered 5177 white enamel dial, because your review provided a valuable reference (especially the case dimension and dial quality) to me. In addition, zinduna made me aware that MKS v2 still available in the market.

As a buyer, of course I want a latest & better replica at the right size.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RepTime/comments/mhxx44

stuxnet

31/3/21
I just (last week) got the FKF and it's 8.8mm thick. Beautiful watch and thanks for the excellent write-up.
Thanks mate! Nice choice. Can you share your QC pictures now that you have it for the record? Much appreciated.

hong999

25/1/19
Got my 5177 few day ago, I got the silver case MKS, it comes with silver rotor and the case dimension is same as gen.
The caseback was not fully close due to MKS used a deformed plastic o-ring instead of rubber o-ring, but is fixed by my watch shop with charges.
The blue hand is likely anodized as the watch shop said the blue steel hand only reflect light at the top, the color at the side of these hands is not fully dyed. SO it's unlikely a heat blue hand.
Overall I am happy with this acquisition despite some minor flaws on it.

eofVoUo.jpg

Reactions: zinduna

damocles

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/12/15
one thing I dislike about the FRF is that it seems to have a much deeper rehaut than gen, although the overall finishing seems better than MKS?

FRF

Gen