• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Recommended Wines 10-15

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
7f914e2b.jpg

Here are 2 from R2's Bride.

Hey Mambo Califorina Red 2007. Don't let the non-regional name fool you, this has some very unique characteristics they you might find in a Cab or Merlot. 10-12 Dollars.

723ebe32.jpg

San Francisco Press Syrah 2006. Don't take our word for it, try it! You cannot go wrong for 13-15 Dollars.

61b8a23f.jpg

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
I enjoy wines by "smoking loon" in this price range. All of there red wines are excellent IMO
2006_smoking_loon_pinot_noir.jpg

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
We were recently served the Ghost Pines Cab during a Chef's Table dinner at a local fine dining restaurant. I highly recommend it with pork, duck or even dessert.

Bottle-Ghost_Pines_2006_Napa_County_and_Sonoma_County_Cabernet_Sauv_750ml.jpg

:bananalama:

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
I think the best wine is Niagra. Anyone every heard of it? It is made from the Niagra grape which is a combination of wild and domestic grape found now in only New York State and Pennsylvania wineries, I think. It has a distinctive sweet taste.

tflgee

1/9/09
The Coppola Claret is one of my favorite mid priced wines. I just picked up two bottles today and will be having one of them shortly with rack of lamb. Mmmmmm

DSCF5451.jpg

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Coppola Rosso is a good buy too. I've had the Mambo too - a real good value!

iphreak

Renowned Member
28/8/09
Try 20 Bench Cab (Napa Valley). I think it is about 15-20 USD. That is my families standby wine. We keep 3-4 bottles in the basement at all times.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Bogle: A great everyday wine, IMO.

From Bogle's web site, a description of my favorite:

"Thirty-one years after it was first produced by the Bogle family in 1978, Petite Sirah is today considered Bogle’s “heritage†varietal. Ripe summer blackberries and plums overwhelm both the nose and palate of this wine. Its trademark inky, jammy qualities are a barrage of black fruit and spice, adding layer upon layer of complexity. Notes of supple leather and toasty oak envelop the
flavors through the finish, giving way to wisps of wine that can develop for years to come, but you won’t want to wait that long to enjoy it!"

petitesirah_highres.jpg

RolexPresident

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/7/09
Glad someone already posted the Smoking Loon & Coppola Claret, both of which are case bought for us. Smoking Loon is usually well under $10 per bottle though, by far the most for your money.

Shadow88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/4/10
Beronia Rioja Reserva 2004. (red, if you were curious)
Cecchi Chianti Classico any year really (most are pretty young)

Both are some of the best wines under 12 bones I have had. PERIOD. I live in Italy, and try alot of wine, and the Rioja is some SERIOUSLY underrated stuff. Both the Reserva and the Gran Reserva from either Marques de Caceres or Beronia are sure winners. The MdC is over 20 bones but a killer wine none the less.....

On the price note, looks like the Beronia is around 15 bones and up in the States. Still a great buy for a wine like this.....

maxlawbr

Put Some Respect On My Name
27/9/06
I live in south america, so Chileans and Argentine wines are very easy to find at a good range price and good quality.

I drink Terza Volta, Cabernet Sauvignon, Amancaya (Rotschild and Catena), Alma Negra (Catena), Angelica Zapata Malbec (an excelent Catena), Maycas de Lymari, Syrah, and used to drink most Santa Alvara (Casa Lapostolle), a cheap and very good wine for an everyday "use".

In the old and respectable world, I like Italian's Di Lenardo Ronco Nolé (Di Lenardo), and Chateau Roquefort Saint Martin (french).

European wines are too much expensive here, but they are, for me and for sure, the bests.

I'm planning to drink the "100 points Robert Parker" Almaviva.

Sorry for the absence of photos.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09

We went to a friends house for dinner and my wife grabbed one of these from our collection to bring. Our friends loved it! :lol:

Autococker07

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/10
From Bogle's web site, a description of my favorite:

"Thirty-one years after it was first produced by the Bogle family in 1978, Petite Sirah is today considered Bogle’s “heritage†varietal. Ripe summer blackberries and plums overwhelm both the nose and palate of this wine. Its trademark inky, jammy qualities are a barrage of black fruit and spice, adding layer upon layer of complexity. Notes of supple leather and toasty oak envelop the
flavors through the finish, giving way to wisps of wine that can develop for years to come, but you won’t want to wait that long to enjoy it!"

petitesirah_highres.jpg

Fantastic wine at a fantastic price... Bogle's petit sirah is also my favorite of this varietal!!!

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I don't drink much wine anymore and when I do, for some reason its usually a bit more expensive Bordeaux (last bottle I uncorked was Merryvale Profile 2003, for example back in May)

But here's my recommendations:

Mellow versatile red table wine ($15-$25 USD) - Marques de Caceras Reserva Rioja, 2003 or 2004

08941908750.jpg

Pinot - well rounded, but subtle - Calera 2008 Central Coast ($20 - $25)

18_38.jpg

Bold California Zin - Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin - $10 or less (cheap enough to get you tanked, but very good flavor as well)

06758_big.jpg