• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quick game, 904L or 316L?

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I've just realised that I totally got all the answers right, but forgot to hit the 'post reply' button and so is just saved in the clipboard.

But I win. ;)

Nice watches btw.

Reactions: Raddave and mari115

peppercorn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/18
White gold, hmmm, not according to my detailed analysis.
I know, you’re crestfallen, after 25 years how could it be?!
In light of your misfortune and given the benefits this most generous thread has afforded us all....I feel obliged to take it off of your hands.
And, at fair market super rep value, say 600 US.
This is a time sensitive offer so don’t wait, be ride of the burden, set yourself free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mari115

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Sorry for tricking you guys, I wanted to keep hidden the fact that there was a "white gold" watch among the three, just to prove a point :p

Perfect and thanks for the fun thread! This is exactly why a smurf or any white gold rep works. YG and RG obviously not.

Redheart

17/5/19
I think what is clear to me with that lil game of yours, is that BIAS is much more important than anything else in order to make our judgement to be made about a certain choice.
Now that you revealed the white gold, it is just so obvious, but when our BIAS that they were either 904 or 316 steel, then we just cannot see it, even the eagle eyed self proclaimed experts. Just my 2 cents ^^
if the government tells you COVID is a real virus, then if your BIAS is either they lie and always lied about everything, or that they don't lie and never lied, and you know have made your own choice. For me COVID means Certificate Of Vaccination ID ^^

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hey bro, can you tell me how thick (tall) your PM bezels are? I'm going to shave a BP one down to gen spec for a mod. Thanks!

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I think what is clear to me with that lil game of yours, is that BIAS is much more important than anything else in order to make our judgement to be made about a certain choice.
Now that you revealed the white gold, it is just so obvious, but when our BIAS that they were either 904 or 316 steel, then we just cannot see it, even the eagle eyed self proclaimed experts. Just my 2 cents ^^
if the government tells you COVID is a real virus, then if your BIAS is either they lie and always lied about everything, or that they don't lie and never lied, and you know have made your own choice. For me COVID means Certificate Of Vaccination ID ^^

That's true, in a way.

When you see a watch worn in the wild you won't know that it's indeed white gold unless you know the model, and even if you know the model, it's not like there will be a steel version of the same watch next to it in order to compare it and see if it's real white gold or steel.

About the COVID part, I wonder if all the people who died because of it would have wanted to get a vaccine and live or just die... welp, not the time and place for that discussion tho ;)

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Hey bro, can you tell me how thick (tall) your PM bezels are? I'm going to shave a BP one down to gen spec for a mod. Thanks!

mmh i don't know how i can help you since i don't have a caliper, what do you mean by PM bezels?

If you know of any other way to see the thickness other than by using a caliper i'll gladly do it for you

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
mmh i don't know how i can help you since i don't have a caliper, what do you mean by PM bezels?

If you know of any other way to see the thickness other than by using a caliper i'll gladly do it for you

Yes Precious Metal

Align something else next to it like a piece of cardboard, 2 or 3 credit cards, a washer, another insert, a blunt end toothpick, matchstick and mark it, etc. Then measure the comparing object with a ruler.

https://www.piliapp.com/actual-size/cm-ruler/

Thanks bro

Don't pinch and zoom your screen when using the online ruler, lol. I just did that out of habit.

Last edited:

Redheart

17/5/19
That's true, in a way.

When you see a watch worn in the wild you won't know that it's indeed white gold unless you know the model, and even if you know the model, it's not like there will be a steel version of the same watch next to it in order to compare it and see if it's real white gold or steel.

About the COVID part, I wonder if all the people who died because of it would have wanted to get a vaccine and live or just die... welp, not the time and place for that discussion tho ;)

soz about the virus rant though, not the place for sure.
About the bias, it is true for everyting related to the mind perception, ie. the senses. Be it auditive (audiophile snake oil?), visual (like this case), or the touch and the taste... Every bit of information we sense go through our mental prepared grid, and the unexcepted will fall through.

I for sure didn't see a difference at first, I swear, but when you reveal it, it is impossible to unsee ^^ and the difference seems unmistakenable!

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I for sure didn't see a difference at first, I swear, but when you reveal it, it is impossible to unsee ^^ and the difference seems unmistakenable!

Exactly lmao.

It's already a joke how the factories charge you 100$ more for the same (or or worse) watch just because they spent 12$ instead of 4$ for its metal (ex. ARF's 16610, that watch is trash).

But the biggest joke will be when the factories will exploit the same business model and create new innovative ceramic insert with 1 / 1 chemical properties like rolex, and charge you another 100$ just for that.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Muskandar

9/8/17
CONUS
The whole post was a way to prove a point, which is, unless you know it, and unless you compare it (and even then you need to know what to look for) there is absolutely NO WAY for anyone to see if the watch is one kind of metal or another, and unless you are under the exact same light, even white gold is very difficult to distinguish from Stainless Steel.

The watches were:

116519 White Arab Racing Dial:

It's a gen, genuine WHITE GOLD, the tone is a bit "warmer" under warm light, but either under cold light or outside it's basically impossible to tell unless you put it side by side to Stainless Steel.
(I couldn't say it before, GingerBubba , this watch is that scratched and full of dings because it's White Gold, way softer than steel, and it's also 25 years old, so it lived quite a life lol)

116519 Grey Racing Dial:

This is a special one, and i made a full post for it, explaining how i built it and where i sourced the parts, read it if you wanna check it out: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...never-built-before-only-rep-aftermarket-parts .
This watch is a 904L noob as a base, but the bezel is a WP bezel, it should be 316L as far as i know.

116520 Black Dial:

This was my first modded daytona, it's a 316L Noob base, with ARF dial and ARF Bezel.

So, there we are, it's very difficult to tell the metal of a watch from a picture online, but i guarantee that it's almost as difficult in real life as well, unless i knew that a watch was white gold, like Tony Clifton said, I wouldn't be able to tell it from Stainless Steel on a wrist. Imagine now the difference between 904L and 316L.

Let me know if you have some questions!

Here are some more pics of the watches, just some eye candies ;)

So basically I guessed correctly. Middle watch is the only watch with 904L case.
Honestly I can tell the difference. I didn’t know one was gold, but I thought that the picture of that watch was taken close to a lamp or light source that had warm colored light. The metal has a warmer tone to it. Once I saw the second photos though it was fairly clear that they were made from different material.

Beautiful pieces. Thanks for sharing

Sent from the RWI App

Last edited: