• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quick game, 904L or 316L?

gekkehenkie

Renowned Member
21/7/14
rubber:
case: 316
end link: 316

leather:
case: 904
en link: 316

bracelet:
case: 904
bracelet: hard to tell but looks like 316

Reactions: mari115

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
By the way, here's a nice picture i took some time ago of 2 of the 3 candidates under the same daylight:

(click on it to see it in better resolution)

Futzorr

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/8/19
EU
mari115 if I remember correctly you posted the exact same picture (as on the first page) on another thread telling which is which ;-) (assuming my memory aint playing tricks on me)

Im just to lazy to go through your posts haha ;)

Anyhow good point though

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
I might have a little advantage, as I was already in a private discussion with mari115 about his beautiful 116519s and mari will reveal anyways not long from this posting:

Here is my guess:

116519 White Arab Racing Dial: Full White Gold including bezel - All GEN
116519 Grey Slate Racing Dial: Case 904L, bezel probably 316L
116520 Black Dial: 904L (not sure about this one…)

So unless the black dial Daytona is not a ARF/Noob Hybrid with a Noob V1 base (316L) only the bezel on the Slate Dial is 316L. If it is an ARF it is also 904L.....

Damn this is confusing:confused:

To be honest, I can only see a distinct difference between the WG and SS 116519s. Most likely because I know that the White Dial is all GEN.

Last edited:

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I might have a little advantage, as I was already in a private discussion with mari115 about his beautiful 116519s and mari will reveal anyways not long from this posting:

Here is my guess:

116519 White Arab Racing Dial: Full White Gold including bezel - All GEN
116519 Grey Slate Racing Dial: Case 904L, bezel probably 316L
116520 Black Dial: 904L (not sure about this one…)

So unless the black dial Daytona is not a ARF/Noob Hybrid with a Noob V1 base (316L) only the bezel on the Slate Dial is 316L. If it is an ARF it is also 904L.....

Damn this is confusing:confused:

To be honest, I can only see a distinct difference between the WG and SS 116519s. Most likely because I know that the White Dial is all GEN.

Damn man, i wanted to keep the secret for a couple more hours!

Ahahah yeah, you are partially right.

I'll reveal the truth now ;)

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
From Pictures it is almost impossible to see the difference. Almost nobody has figured out the White Dial is WG.
This should be the easiest to tell by the way!

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
The whole post was a way to prove a point, which is, unless you know it, and unless you compare it (and even then you need to know what to look for) there is absolutely NO WAY for anyone to see if the watch is one kind of metal or another, and unless you are under the exact same light, even white gold is very difficult to distinguish from Stainless Steel.

The watches were:

116519 White Arab Racing Dial:

It's a gen, genuine WHITE GOLD, the tone is a bit "warmer" under warm light, but either under cold light or outside it's basically impossible to tell unless you put it side by side to Stainless Steel.
(I couldn't say it before, GingerBubba , this watch is that scratched and full of dings because it's White Gold, way softer than steel, and it's also 25 years old, so it lived quite a life lol)

116519 Grey Racing Dial:

This is a special one, and i made a full post for it, explaining how i built it and where i sourced the parts, read it if you wanna check it out: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...never-built-before-only-rep-aftermarket-parts .
This watch is a 904L noob as a base, but the bezel is a WP bezel, it should be 316L as far as i know.

116520 Black Dial:

This was my first modded daytona, it's a 316L Noob base, with ARF dial and ARF Bezel.

So, there we are, it's very difficult to tell the metal of a watch from a picture online, but i guarantee that it's almost as difficult in real life as well, unless i knew that a watch was white gold, like Tony Clifton said, I wouldn't be able to tell it from Stainless Steel on a wrist. Imagine now the difference between 904L and 316L.

Let me know if you have some questions!

Here are some more pics of the watches, just some eye candies ;)

Reactions: James2020 and AJ82

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Sorry for tricking you guys, I wanted to keep hidden the fact that there was a "white gold" watch among the three, just to prove a point :p

Tony Clifton

Renowned Member
7/2/20
Germany
Beautiful watches my friend!

When Domi is back from his well deserved holiday I might be able to add some pictures of my fake WG Daytona to this thread.
All the parts are now finally in my hands:

By the way: The base is also 904L and the Bezel 316L. I can not see any difference in my parts, no matter what the lighting conditions are.

Reactions: James2020

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Beautiful watches my friend!

When Domi is back from his well deserved holiday I might be able to add some pictures of my fake WG Daytona to this thread.

By the way: The base is also 904L and the Bezel 316L. I can not see any difference in my parts, no matter what the lighting conditions are.

Very nice, we want to see the final result once you get it ;)