• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Q's Top Secret BPSD Reference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan27

I'm Pretty Popular
3/7/13
FYI any noobs on here thinking of doing a TC dial swap... Don't bother send it to a modder or someone who knows what they're doing!... Took 6 hrs of mucking around and I ended up having to ditch the movement spacer and just lock it in with the movement tabs to get it lined up at 12, not 100% happy with how it is at the moment.. was sending to Katt but things came up and couldn't afford it so had a crack, will post pics tomorrow... The TC dial had a few hairlines and smudges when I got it, I tried to clean it the best I could and also my crystal had tiny little scratches when viewed under a light source and my glasses... But got the hands on etc the TC crown and tube I think I'll save for another seadweller build that I'll get a modder to build from scratch with the new TC 2824 and do it right the first time... PICS incoming..

Jordan27

I'm Pretty Popular
3/7/13
did you sand the case or the dial to fit it in properly ?

The dial fits fine by itself.. Just not with the movement spacer.. It's a bit dodgy at the moment, it's held in there fine but I want to get it done properly...

Here's a link to an album of a small assortment of the photos I took... No natural light with the finished product and the bracelet is in baby oil so I'll update tomorrow :)

http://s801.photobucket.com/user/jordancurrie27/slideshow/Seadweller

SheriffWho

Renowned Member
4/6/13
All done up and Just landed on the wrist!

This is one of the best reps I own (beats a lot of my gens - lol)...

BP SSD with:
-Gen crown
-Gen insert
-Gen ETA 2836-2
-TC dial
-TC hands
-TC bracelet
-TC DWO
-lightly modded cg

Check it out...

image_zps66c69506.jpg

image_zps81cbcdb3.jpg

image_zpsbd146efb.jpg

Thanks m2m!
:cheers:

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I've done two bp/tc conversions none had to be sanded. I do believe these stock bp's need the taller cannons though.

Also, zooming in on the qc pics with my phone, yes, I would have questioned that pearl. It happens. If you don't like your dealers answers, work it out or go elsewhere.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

SheriffWho

Renowned Member
4/6/13
Thanks!

On my other unfinished bp/TC project, its required sanding for dial and bracelet went right on without filing. And DWO was really easy. I think it's a case by case basis (pun intended).

I still have yet to finish my other bp TC project. Almost 100% identical to this minus the gen crown.

I must say, for the money, with the cost of the watch, all TC parts, and gen insert - at under $600 for a watch that (IMHO) is 99% gen in look,
Fit, and finish -- the bpsd can't be beat!

SheriffWho

Renowned Member
4/6/13
Yes. I handled one of these (gen) recently and The gen model serial that my current bp SSD represents, which is z serial, does in fact have LEC, which is why I opted to keep this crystal ATM... I still may source a gen crystal.

Older sd makes have no LEC, so everyone is right ;-)

tt88

㊙️ Time does not wait ㊙️
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
15/9/12
Village, of course
LEC was introduce in 2001, so I think our rep which are m series(2008) should have too?

R0013802.jpg

Jordan27

I'm Pretty Popular
3/7/13
Just an update on my one,, spent an hour with it, got a sharp screwdriver and carefully worked on the inner diameter of the case where the dial sits and shaved tiny bits off and now have it seated and movement spacer in and fitted.. Cleaned as best I could and a tiny speck of metal is on the inside lol... But got it sitting where I'm happy so tomorrow will be a fine tune and a good clean and back together it goes.. Definitely rather work with the case than the dial as to not wreck the dial.. So semi happy now. Will try and source a new insert as some people have said the pearl on mine looks shit... Pics to come tomorrow

tt88

㊙️ Time does not wait ㊙️
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
15/9/12
Village, of course
I have a A serial 1999 16613 all original that has the LEC. I just noticed it in a pic I took yesterday.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

That's interesting. Do you have a macro?
Has it been serviced before?

Original

laslg.jpg

Serviced

laslg1.jpg

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
I've done two bp/tc conversions none had to be sanded. I do believe these stock bp's need the taller cannons though.

Also, zooming in on the qc pics with my phone, yes, I would have questioned that pearl. It happens. If you don't like your dealers answers, work it out or go elsewhere.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

R2, I agree 100%. The most important mod IMO is the upgrade to the H4 CP. The stock H2 is too short. If you swap over to the TC dial, I think you can run into an issue with the hour hand rubbing against the dial and could scratch and wear the dial down when you set the time. The H4 is not only correct for the watch asthetically, but it serves an important mechanical function.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Live1, Benji is correct. We have all been saying that the gen SD never had an LEC, but that was false. It never received the upgrade to the engraved rehaut, but it did get the LEC at the end of 2002 or beginning of 2003. Rolex was installing non-LEC crystals at the same time the were putting in LEC crystals until theu ran out of stock on the non-LEC. The SD was a lower volume watch, so it evolved over time without sudden definitive changes.

In any case, here is an excerpt from my earlier post which will hopefully settle the issue:

Now, I just want to correct a previous misconception that I was under and has been repeated often (including by me) throughout the thread: Many respected members hae said that the SD 16600 did not have an LEC on the crystal. This is FALSE. My WM (who worked for Rolex) corrected my misconception. All SD 16600 made in 2003 forward [correction: most] have an LEC on the crystal. The LEC is usually located at ninety degrees from the cyclops on a rolex crystal. On watches that didn't have a cyclops, there was no process in place early on to line up the LEC perfectly, so on many Daytonas, ND subs and SD's made before 2005, the LEC could be found anywhere--not necessarily at 6. Later on, Rolex tightened their standards so that even on non-cyclops crystals, the LEC appears at 6. Here's a picture of a gen SD with LEC:

dweller02.jpg

The fact that the BPSD does not have an LEC means little to me though because a real LEC should not be visible anyway. The only visible LEC's are the crappy LEC's on older reps. I'll skip the LEC and enjoy the amazing quality, gen spec crystal that comes with the BPSD!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
set2374 so if you say not all sd from 2002 had lec does that mean our bp subs are still correct not having lec?
M seial serial is 2008 yes?

Well, I believe the 2002's and 2003 had cases with holes, so that means the answer is no. Missing LEC's is really not important to me though. Gen LEC's are practically invisible. You need to have the crystal at a certain angle, direct light on the crystal at an opposing angle and view the crystal with magnification to see a gen LEC. If the LEC isn't at the 6 O'clock position (as was the case with many SD's), it would be very hard to find--which is why many thought their watch didn't have an LEC. It would have been nice if the rep had a 1:1 LEC or one at least as good as the noob explorer 2 and sub-c v2, but most LEC are terrible. If you can see the LEC with the naked eye looking directly at the face, it's way too big and screams rep. You're better off not having an LEC than having a big LEC IMO.

Jordan27

I'm Pretty Popular
3/7/13
Anyone got any tips on getting the stock BP tube out? There's no star or Allen key inside the tube it's just round... If that make sense...

monkeypunch

Known Member
7/3/12
I tried to remove the tube as well, That thing is in there tight! I just tried it with a triangle file and gave up. Perhaps it has to be heated first.

SheriffWho

Renowned Member
4/6/13
Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not a gen crystal can be installed. I imagine with all other parts (ie insert) it should but
Don't want to drop money on it if its a list cause...

As you saw... My project is pretty much solid
But a gen crystal would take it to the max and would love to add it.

Big Reason I ask is...
I have a lead on gen 16600 crystal for under $200 and need to make a decision whether or not to jump on it.

Thanks.

Rudy40

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/10/12
Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not a gen crystal can be installed. I imagine with all other parts (ie insert) it should but
Don't want to drop money on it if its a list cause...

As you saw... My project is pretty much solid
But a gen crystal would take it to the max and would love to add it.

Big Reason I ask is...
I have a lead on gen 16600 crystal for under $200 and need to make a decision whether or not to jump on it.

Thanks.

I believe that SURF tried to put a Gen crystal in his BPSD,,,,,,
But it was to small i believe,,,,,PM Surf,,,,he can tell you all about it,,,,I think if you epoxy it ,,,,,it would work!
:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.