• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Q's Top Secret BPSD Reference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
This is a bit overkill, but with reps sometimes you have to make due with the part that you have. The BP tubes i've come across have all been pretty chewed up. I like my diver reps to be waterproof, and as such the tube seal worried me. This is just a little mod you can do if you want or need.

Have another look to remind yourself how bad the stock BP tube on my SD looked.

IMG_8485_zps9cfb0e29.jpg

IMG_8483_zps3983e986.jpg

I've been able to clean it up quite a bit, here is how.

Make sure you remove all gaskets inside and outside of the tube before starting. Using this dremel tool, you can debur the inside portion of the tube where the gasket inside of the crown will seat itself.

IMG_8723_zps43ba716b.jpg

Don't actually use the dremel to do the job, use your hands. As I spun this and ground around inside the tube, flakes of metal shavings and remnants came out. Once you get it relatively cleaned up, you can proceed with polishing it.

IMG_8716_zps460662cd.jpg

I'm not squeezing the threads hard with the wrench. The wrench is just protecting me from being burned. This is a spare tube I was experimenting with while waiting for the different tube that accepts a genuine crown. Tape the wrench head off or use a softer tool, protect your threads.

Use a stick of stainless steel buffing compound and buffing wheel on your dremel. Press the tube into the head of the buffing wheel. Make sure not to press too hard, the buffing wheel is held in place by a screw. Here's after some buffing

IMG_8717_zps9a09aee0.jpg

By the time I was done, the tube shined like a mirror. Hard to photograph with a flash.

IMG_8720_zps84532225.jpg

IMG_8718_zps0ad098b7.jpg

I went over the threads lightly as well. The crown/tube is much smoother to operate now.

IMG_8722_zps3e0e1793.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TC dial installed

IMG_8725_zps64f2bac7.jpg

TC hands fitted

IMG_8728_zps6dc18036.jpg

mock up

IMG_8730_zps11fc3687.jpg

lume shot (sorry for the blur)

IMG_8733_zps466f8d42.jpg

As soon as I get a tube I will be able to complete the build. :D:

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
You didn't have to trim the dial or the case did you? I've read some people say you need to and some say no need to.

Went right in, T. It's going to vary case by case. No pun intended. :gotgoat:

Jordan27

I'm Pretty Popular
3/7/13
So. My gen insert isn't playing nicely and looks like it will need some sanding/modding to get it to fit, rob and Gary had a look and Gary said he doesn't want to risk it.. So any ideas on who can do the work in the U.S of A before it gets shipped back down under?

set2374

I'm Pretty Popular
19/7/12
Hmmm.... I am ordering a TC crown and tube set, but I tempted to go gen. This leads to a bunch of other questions:

1. I found of used gen rolex crown & tube sets on eBay in good nick in the $150-200 range. Is this the going rate?

2. Can anyone confirm that the correct crown and tube is part no. 24-7030 (7mm trip-lock crown)?

3. I understand the tube on the on the gen is a bit larger than the TC and BP tube on the end that screw into the case. However, will a gen crown screw down properly on a TC tube?? Obviously if the threads are different, I have problems....if not, I will use a TC tube with a gen crown and hopefully save a few $$$$.

4. What is a reasonable price for a watch smith to charge to swap a crown and tube...with and without drilling the case to fit a larger tube???

I am sure I saw this discussed somewhere in this thread, but the seach hasn't been my friend. This thread is too freakin to easily such specific info. :)

I am sure thus has been discussed, but this thread is way too huge to find such specific info. :). I actually think R2D4 was kind of suggesting this would work a couple of days ago, but I don't know what you mean by pitch variance. If you can dumb it down for a simpleton like me, that would be awesome! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
That's the correct crown part number and the price is about average. The gen tube will not fit the TC case without modifications. Price for changing the crown shouldn't be more than $15 - 20. Modification of case and re-tapping threads could be $100 or more. AFAIK, the gen crown will fit the TC case, but that needs confirmation from someone who's done it.

Ko67

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
5/4/13
Gen crown does fit the tc tube. Fitting the tc tube does require tapping, but it is much easier than gen because of flat base.

Tonyy

Renowned Member
3/7/13
Finally got my BPSD from Ryan today. I used DHL this time around and wow was it fast. I ordered last Friday, QC on Sunday, and delivered Wednesday.

I sold my TC with high hopes for this one and I'm enjoying it already.

Good ole BP QC for ya. Crooked 9 hour marker but I accepted it anyway. I didn't want to delay getting my watch.

Probably one of the best pearls to come out of the factories. I'm very impressed.

LOL. Crooked hour marker. No problem!

Took the movement out. Removed the hands and dial and readjusted the marker. This will hold me over until my TC hands and dial come in.

Installed "gen style" click spring from WM.

All done for now! Sanded down my TC bracelet and all is well. A very good rep with a little bit of work.

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Working on one of these BP SD right now, in for TC parts conversion, and a new movement. Be warned that your new shiny BP SD has a DWO on top of an old, used, dirty DW. This is what I found in the one I'm working on...

10981459236_fd403f4ba7_b.jpg

Jordan27

I'm Pretty Popular
3/7/13
Mines on its way from Gary! can't wait to see how it turned out.. He didn't put the Gen insert in as it needed modding. I'll make the decision as to whether it's worth it or not to send it to a modder for fitting when it gets here..

Build sheet is,

1. BP seadweller
2. TC 2824 with H4 with V3 DWO
3. TC dial, hands, tube, bracelet
4. Gen crown
5. Gen insert possibly

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Mines on its way from Gary! can't wait to see how it turned out.. He didn't put the Gen insert in as it needed modding. I'll make the decision as to whether it's worth it or not to send it to a modder for fitting when it gets here..

Build sheet is,

1. BP seadweller
2. TC 2824 with H4 with V3 DWO
3. TC dial, hands, tube, bracelet
4. Gen crown
5. Gen insert possibly

Jordan, that insert of yours is very nice and shiny new. :) The replica is also so close. The gen might fit but I didn't have the heart to keep pushing it. If you find a modder to do it, I want to know what he/she did to it to get it to fit. You have a nice watch and I think you should flip the gen insert, but that is just me. Enjoy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
What movement was in that BPSD?

Was a dead Asian clone. Replaced the movement with a 2824 ETA clone.

Here's the date wheel now as it stands.

Teeth straightened, and surface prepped for overlay funness.

10993176864_61f59cfc16_b.jpg

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
This thread is fun. Glad to see Tonyy got his watch, Jordan's on its way back, and SSTEEL is playing along now too.

Finally I can say mine is done. RSH sent me another tube, so I was able to finish it up.

Specs:
BPSD case, sanded insert, dwo, short click spring
Tissot ETA 2834-2 nickle plated movement
TC Dial, hands, bracelet
WM9 tube
Gen crown

Big thanks to R2, ado213, RSH for the tips/parts, and the rest of you guys for contributing your knowledge along the way.

IMG_8787_zps8cf3982b.jpg

IMG_8793_zps1611a5e8.jpg

IMG_8776_zps4afc1d31.jpg

IMG_8600_zps432cd17f.jpg

IMG_8785_zps5121f146.jpg

Crown/Tube swap made me work for it, but in the end she rewarded me w/ perfectly straight alignment.

IMG_8780_zpsfe38200f.jpg

IMG_8781_zpsf618bbf4.jpg

IMG_8777_zps03f34885.jpg

IMG_8779_zps18eef1be.jpg

IMG_8784_zps20199103.jpg

IMG_8796_zps6eba3106.jpg

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
I got mine from Sora yesterday and picked it up today. I went for the cheaper 2813 movement option because I plan on building a franken with the case set using a y3135 movement and gen dial. Not soon though. I have to say the dial and hands look amazing. The pearl is definitely a vast improvement. The case back is very good as well.

The CGs are very good on this unit and the crystal height has vastly been improvement. The bezel is tighter than I want, but works as it should. The click is bothering but I'll take it apart later when I can tackle the build.

I have it on a TC bracelet, however, I have to say that the BP bracelet is actually very, very good. The clasp print is very good. Diver's extension looks great also. This compared to the TC unit. The end link's engraving is crisp.

The TC bracelet fit with no issues on the 12 o'clock side and slight sanding needed on the 6o'clock side.

Having worked on the firs BP and some silix SDs as well as a few SSDs and Jackjo SSDs I can say these are very very good.
suze4asu.jpg

5e9aqy8y.jpg
ubeha2um.jpg

emahy7a5.jpg
ejybypug.jpg

uju3u2a3.jpg
satatu8y.jpg

na2azu8y.jpg

taby6ypy.jpg
2e4aju3a.jpg

y6e9uny3.jpg

uga7avan.jpg

TC bracelet to the left. Stock BP to the right
5uqunaqa.jpg

6asapudy.jpg

ve7avena.jpg

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
nice! only the pearl seems a little flat...

the hands on pics are Bp stock ? these look nice, whiter than others BPSD

Yes. The pearl is flat, but better than the pimple pus that used to come on the SSD watches. The hands are stock. They match the markers in every way. Only thing I've changed is the bracelet.

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Anyone interested in the modification of the BP SD case to accept gen crystal, gasket and separate rehaut ?

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
Is it just me or has anybody else noticed the differences in BPSD's? I recently bought a BPSD from P4G to give to my boss and while I was putting on a TC bracelet I noticed differences between the new one and the one I already had. Here are some pics. The top (rubber strap) is the one I already had.

The bezel teeth are deeper on the new one. Also the crown is different.

The Crown Guards are also thinner on the new one and are more flaired.
Old

New

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
Jeff, when did you buy the original one? My CGs looks in between those two. Lol not to thick, not to thin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I will have to go back and look but around May or June. I think this is very similar to the thread about TC's crown guards. You will have some variation from batch to batch. I even saw this on some of the gens on the net. I will try to post some pics.

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
the sd with the 18 date looks much better cg and crown than the other sd

First let me prefice this by saying these details are so minute there is no way you could see them at arms length or if you did not have another watch to compare it to.

I disagree on the CG's, i think the older one looks better. imho
I do think the bezel, and crown are better on the new. Also the dial is a vast improvment over the old stock dial I had. Even the hands look thinner on the new.

Status
Not open for further replies.