• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pulled the trigger on a few reps

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
bgreg makes a good point. I’ll do 2 at a time but every time I’ve tried to put more than 2 in a shipment, customs scooped them up. Hopefully your TD feels the same way and ships in multiple packages.

Reactions: rj999

watchnerd23

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/19
Hey guys, pretty new to the whole rep thing. Ive only ever owned gen, but i decided to pull the trigger on 4 watches from puretime. Excited to see what the hype is. Heres the list of timepieces.
[h=3]SUBMARINER 116610 LN BLACK CERAMIC ARF[/h] [h=3]PAM111 P V4 NOOB[/h]
Daytona 116500 Noob (panda)

IWC IW503502 Portuguese Real PR Real Annual Calendar ZF

Are you in the US? Keep us posted on customs, I pulled the trigger on my first rep, just one watch, a Cartier Santos. It's been sitting in ISC New York for 8 days now. Curious to see how yours go through,,,,

yumu1009

Horology Curious
7/8/19
Are you in the US? Keep us posted on customs, I pulled the trigger on my first rep, just one watch, a Cartier Santos. It's been sitting in ISC New York for 8 days now. Curious to see how yours go through,,,,

yes us based! Ill keep you updated for sure, i decided to reorder the 4 i bought and have the TD ship 2 at a time. fingers crossed

Hazing

9/5/19

You should be fine. Customs sometimes pulls a package, sees a watch and inspects it. They can hold a package for up to 45 days though they rarely hold things that long. Cartier isn’t exactly Rolex so even if they look at it and inspect it, I’d be surprised if the confiscated it. Customs grabbed a Panerai of mine and couldn’t tell it was a rep and even if they coulld, I doubt they’d have interest in confiscating it. So they sent it along.

Keep us posted.

yumu1009

Horology Curious
7/8/19
You should be fine. Customs sometimes pulls a package, sees a watch and inspects it. They can hold a package for up to 45 days though they rarely hold things that long. Cartier isn’t exactly Rolex so even if they look at it and inspect it, I’d be surprised if the confiscated it. Customs grabbed a Panerai of mine and couldn’t tell it was a rep and even if they coulld, I doubt they’d have interest in confiscating it. So they sent it along.

Keep us posted.

thanks for the info means saot!

watchnerd23

10/6/19

Keep us posted.

Ok thanks, I hope you are right. Going on 9 days now, still says ISC New York. This is my very first rep purchase and its nerve racking.

watchnerd23

10/6/19

Keep us posted.

Day 17. Still in ISC NY.

Fat Panda said I should call customs and he said if they ask what's in the package, to just say "a watch" and nothing more. I read online that customs cant track a package in their possession unless they are formally detaining it, so this sounds pointless to call them and they would just tell me the same thing that it says on the USPS tracking site.

Hazing

9/5/19
Day 17. Still in ISC NY.

Fat Panda said I should call customs and he said if they ask what's in the package, to just say "a watch" and nothing more. I read online that customs cant track a package in their possession unless they are formally detaining it, so this sounds pointless to call them and they would just tell me the same thing that it says on the USPS tracking site.

i don’t know about that. I’ve always called and they always told me exactly what was going on. But they were usually formally detaining my packages. But yeah... it wouldn’t be quick. While it’s probably not going to be all 45 days, it’s probably not going to be 10 days either.

watchnerd23

10/6/19
i don’t know about that. I’ve always called and they always told me exactly what was going on. But they were usually formally detaining my packages. But yeah... it wouldn’t be quick. While it’s probably not going to be all 45 days, it’s probably not going to be 10 days either.

So forgive my dumb questions and I appreciate your patience..

1. If its being formally detained, does that mean its being seized?
2. You told them its a watch, when they asked the contents of the package?
3. Did all these packages that were formally detained eventually get delivered to you?

I'm worried that if I call to inquire and do as Fat Panda instructed me to, "say its a watch", they will have more reason to open it up, see the Cartier Santos and seize it.

Last edited:

rolexista

Supporter
19/9/18
How did this ended up? Mine has been retained for 5 days now. (Chicago, IL Customs)

Hazing

9/5/19
So forgive my dumb questions and I appreciate your patience..

1. If its being formally detained, does that mean its being seized?
2. You told them its a watch, when they asked the contents of the package?
3. Did all these packages that were formally detained eventually get delivered to you?

I'm worried that if I call to inquire and do as Fat Panda instructed me to, "say its a watch", they will have more reason to open it up, see the Cartier Santos and seize it.

1. No. I think it depends on a lot of things. What’s being delivered. Who the customs agent is. What they’re looking for. Like I believe they’re more likely to seize Rolex than other brands. Whenever I have something “detained” the agent is always the same and he’s a ball buster. He’s pretty much targeting me. So if he sees a Rolex, he confiscates it. I’ve had people get a call from customs (or a lettter) asking them to pay $6 to $50 in taxes and then the watch is released to them. I’ve had Panerai detained but release and shipped right on. It’s just a matter of extra time.

2. I don’t think it matters. The seller has to fill out a form prior to shipping n it probably says “watch” right on it. Remember, not everything that comes from China is a rep. I’d say “it’s a watch is fine” because this way you’re not lying to them. It is a watch. I mean they’re gonna find out anyway.

3. Not all. I’ve lost a few. Mainly multiple watches shipments and always Rolex (through friends have had theirs delivered from customst) but, again, I’ve had good luck with omega and pamerai ,

good luck.

watchnerd23

10/6/19
1. No. I think it depends on a lot of things. What’s being delivered. Who the customs agent is. What they’re looking for. Like I believe they’re more likely to seize Rolex than other brands. Whenever I have something “detained” the agent is always the same and he’s a ball buster. He’s pretty much targeting me. So if he sees a Rolex, he confiscates it. I’ve had people get a call from customs (or a lettter) asking them to pay $6 to $50 in taxes and then the watch is released to them. I’ve had Panerai detained but release and shipped right on. It’s just a matter of extra time.

2. I don’t think it matters. The seller has to fill out a form prior to shipping n it probably says “watch” right on it. Remember, not everything that comes from China is a rep. I’d say “it’s a watch is fine” because this way you’re not lying to them. It is a watch. I mean they’re gonna find out anyway.

3. Not all. I’ve lost a few. Mainly multiple watches shipments and always Rolex (through friends have had theirs delivered from customst) but, again, I’ve had good luck with omega and pamerai ,

good luck.

thanks for all your advice.

Last edited:

armandinLA

4/9/19
Los Angeles, Calif
Nice choices YUMU!!! I'm right behind you in placing my order with Puretime just trying to narrow my choices to 3 watches. I was also told by Puretime Daytona are on 2-3 week backorder

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
You should keep an eye out on the member watch sales here. I've seen quite a few PAM111s, heh, I sold one... And, less issue and fear of customs and wait times.

watchnerd23

10/6/19

good luck.

have you they ever lost one of your packages? I guess thats a scenario I didnt consider before....

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
have you they ever lost one of your packages? I guess thats a scenario I didnt consider before....

Yes, I have lost packages to customs seizure, lost in delivery, and just simple lost somewhere. TD's stepped up in a few instances (sent replacement) and not in others. This, unfortunately, is a part of buying reps. I do wish you luck, however. Sometimes, a lost rep suddenly turns up and makes your day.

Reactions: watchnerd23

watchnerd23

10/6/19

good luck.

Day 28 now......saw this online, does customs actually abide by these timelines?

Customs has five (5) business days from the date on which the merchandise is presented for examination to decide whether or not to detain the merchandise or to allow its release. If Customs decides to detain a shipment, they must provide the importer with a formal Notice of Detention within five (5) days of the determination to detain the shipment. Customs has thirty (30) days to render a decision regarding the detained shipment, unless a longer time period has been granted. If no final decision is reached at the end of this thirty day period, the merchandise is automatically considered excluded for purposes of protest. If the goods are seized, the importer will receive a notice of seizure. It will provide the reasons for the seizure and options available to the importer.