• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project "RWI Raffle Win"... a 1675 Build

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Hello guys,

Thanks to this amazing thread that kept me busy during the confinement, I've decided to build myself a 1675 with one of Milky's case.
Parts are starting to arrived one by one and with them the trouble of building the watch.

I've ordered a tube at Esslinger ref 24-5300 which seems to be period correct, didn't order the kit crown + tube from yuki at $12 because of the Covid the shipping is $48 and minimum order is $100 which was way to expencive for only the tube & crown.
So as I haven't found anywhere a rep crown 5.3mm I've decided to buy a gen used one ref: 24-503-0

Tube fit like a charm on Milky's case but impossible to have the crown fit... after investigation I've found that the crown's part that goes into the tube is too large, 1.7mm, to fit in the tube hole that's 1.5mm...

Where was I wrong?
Didn't I choose the correct tube or crown?
Any suggestion to fix my problem?

Thank you for your help

It appears thw eslinger crown tube isn't gen spec.. as I have also found out using st 503 tube when building my datejust.

I'd go with kj2020 suggested.

good luck.

Reactions: KJ2020

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Iirc there are two types of tubes. One is called old style and has to be broached after installation. What you’re facing is Normal.

Carlytoss

Certified
18/3/16
Snitching your TLS connexion
KJ2020, lawlessflyer and chubbychaser911 thank you so much guys!!
It's my first 1675 and I think I'm gonna learn a lot... again ;)

I've got another question regarding baking dial and hands, from what I've read it will puff the lume dots, right?
I assume it does the same to hands...
How long do you back them and at what temperature?

Thank you for sharing your expertise!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
KJ2020, lawlessflyer and chubbychaser911 thank you so much guys!!
It's my first 1675 and I think I'm gonna learn a lot... again ;)

I've got another question regarding baking dial and hands, from what I've read it will puff the lume dots, right?
I assume it does the same to hands...
How long do you back them and at what temperature?

Thank you for sharing your expertise!

Your welcome!

400° for 30min- should do it! Make sure it's flay on the cooking pan though.

Reactions: Carlytoss

Kalmine64

Patron
Certified
21/9/19
EU
hello guys

I received my gen crystal 25-116 a few days ago. This morning I decided to try and install it myself (bear in mind that I am a master newbie in this field!) I finally managed to do it properly, even if I had to re-do it as the second hand fell off few minutes after I put everything in place.. So re-opened the whole thing, put back the hand in place, and closed it again.

The watch was very nice before, but man the gen plexi changes everything! Dial is crystal clear, very luminous, hard to explain.. I was not really sure it would change something, but I find that it improves a lot the whole watch.

Since last pictures, I aged a bit more the case and bracelet, with brushing, cape coding etc... Do not judge the insert, went a bit crazy on it (milk one); but I am expecting one coming from crownartcustoms, which i believe will improve a lot the watch as well.

Here are some pics of today's work:

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
hello guys
I received my gen crystal 25-116 a few days ago. This morning I decided to try and install it myself (bear in mind that I am a master newbie in this field!) I finally managed to do it properly, even if I had to re-do it as the second hand fell off few minutes after I put everything in place.. So re-opened the whole thing, put back the hand in place, and closed it again.
The watch was very nice before, but man the gen plexi changes everything! Dial is crystal clear, very luminous, hard to explain.. I was not really sure it would change something, but I find that it improves a lot the whole watch.
Since last pictures, I aged a bit more the case and bracelet, with brushing, cape coding etc... Do not judge the insert, went a bit crazy on it (milk one); but I am expecting one coming from crownartcustoms, which i believe will improve a lot the watch as well.
Here are some pics of today's work:
TmlpQ.jpg

TmpGL.jpg

TmPAR.jpg
Very nice looking gmt ! The crystal does make it pop and the magnification is crisp and correct.

the date wheel is awesome! Where did you source it?

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
It appears thw eslinger crown tube isn't gen spec.. as I have also found out using st 503 tube when building my datejust.

I'd go with kj2020 suggested.

good luck.

I am in the middle of the same build. I went with the Ofrei tube...I have a Clark's and one from this seller on eBay...https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3MM-WRIS...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I too wanted to buy a Yuki crown, but passed...shipping is too much right now. This crown fit perfect. The Ofrei tube is very well made, good attention to detail. The others I have are cheap knock offs.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
12/3/18

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
12/3/18
Can anyone confirm if a Ruby's dial fts in the milk case? I've seen a couple different measurements of the dial opening ranging from 26.9mm to 27.55mm. Ruby dials are 27.3mm.

Carlytoss

Certified
18/3/16
Snitching your TLS connexion
Can anyone confirm if a Ruby's dial fts in the milk case? I've seen a couple different measurements of the dial opening ranging from 26.9mm to 27.55mm. Ruby dials are 27.3mm.

Yes they do fit, I have one UAE that'll go into my build as soon as I finally get all the pieces ordered... with Covid I've been waiting more than 2 months for some that are still in limbo atm :(

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK

Indeed, both Ruby’s and Ritchie’s fit as I tested both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
12/3/18
yes...but he won't show you in the pics on eBay...but if you look reaaaaal close, you can see it is...that is why I bought it....
Tkp8i.jpg

Wow nice pick up then, I'll have to grab one. Any issues fitting it to the Ofrei tube? If you still have the info handy on that tube (part number or page) that would be most appreciated too! Thanks! That really looks nice.

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
The only issue, I had to push it through the internal o-ring Ofrei will send, but it stretched to size ok. The crown threads had a lot of machining chips, so I cleaned it real well in the ultrasonic. Info below.

Reactions: Rodog and KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
12/3/18
The only issue, I had to push it through the internal o-ring Ofrei will send, but it stretched to size ok. The crown threads had a lot of machining chips, so I cleaned it real well in the ultrasonic. Info below.

Thanks very much bro. Sure beats waiting for something from China.

itgoes211

10/4/19
Something about this picture makes me wanna build a 1675 pan-am isn't that weird..lol

have a great week everyone!

Great foto! Thanks for sharing. I shoot and develop film, and always loved Pan-Am since I can remember. Plus, it’s just a cool shot. This ones going on the wall. Cheers