• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Project diary with pics] Franken Rolex Submariner 5513

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
@godkiller I absolutely love the look you're going for and will stay tuned for more pics and updates.
And regarding the genspec build, eventhough it's expensive compared to what you can get from TDs, is absolutely worth it.
Think of it like this, the more you lose badufat, harder it become.
Bugatti Veyron uses much more bhp from going to 225mph to 250mph that from 0-60mph.
Athletes takes 6months of training to sprint from 12sec to 10 sec. But to shave off 0.5 sec they train for years.
It's the same with watches, if you want 90% accuracy you can do it cheap, but if you want more than 99% it's gonna cose you morethan what 0-90% costs. Cheers brother and best of luck.

I have a tc v7 extreme 16610ln and a @TheSociety build superfranken 6538, I know the difference bro, trust me.

Cant agree more, probably the best explanation ever.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
He didn't reply my email the last time I asked him if I could buy a bracelet :(
I might try to pm him via this forum; another forum member has pm-ed me with regards to spare V2 hands

Was it around the time the v7 came out? Might have been busy. Just email him again, I only bought parts from him for a build too

Sent from the RWI mobile app

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Was it around the time the v7 came out? Might have been busy. Just email him again, I only bought parts from him for a build too

16610 franken build? PICS!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a side project as well now, waiting for a new yuki 3135 to arrive and I will start re-assembling my superfranken TC 16610 (gen dial, gen yachtmaster hands hands, gen LEC crystal, gen 704 crown, gen bezel insert)

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Meanwhile, I assembled a 16610 superfranken and I got completely carried away from this 5513 project:
HGvsQ7B.jpg

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
My Helenarou 5513 case arrived today and at first sight, it looks a lot better than what I have expected (from internet pictures) and it feels extremely well-built and solid. According to Helenarou's website, the case is made to withstand diving at 100m maximum so there has to be some heft in this case.

hULxmBr.jpg

I realised that one of the reasons why the lugs look so different to a genuine 5513 is because of too much chamfer on the lugs. The picture below shows the lugs' chamfer and I have done a mockup (using blue-tack) to show what should the lugs look like without chamfer.

wcJB2Z6.jpg

(mockup with blue-tack to show the case without chamfer - front left lug)
0L9Sm4A.jpg

(notice the blue-tack on the left lug which covers the chamfer - compared to the lug on the right side without blue-tack on the chamfer)
LB7Ex1M.jpg

If the Helenarou 5513 cases came without chamfer, then I believe that it could have looked more accurate to the gen 5513 case. But since I am going for a RSC-overpolished style, the chamfer doesn't annoy me too much as it fits well with the horror stories of what Rolex Service Centres can do.

Nevertheless, the Helenarou 5513 case seems pretty decent out of the box when I compared it to online pictures, despite the chamfer on the lugs. However, I really need to have a gen 5513 as a reference when it comes to modding.

BUTTTTT the main highlight and purpose of using a Helenarou 5513 case instead of the usual Cartel/MBK/MBW/JKF 5513 is because Helenarou 5513 cases all have the.........

PERFECT CROWN/STEM/TUBE HEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe FIRMLY that a good quality Rolex replica/homage/franken should ALWAYS have the correct crown height because this is the de-facto standard by Rolex with absolutely no exception. Case inaccuracies like the chamfer in the Helenarou 5513 case can be dismissed as "overpolishing" throughout the years (or even as case variation from vintage production Rolex). But a genuine and accurate crown/stem/height CAN NEVER be excused when all Rolex are made to have the same crown/stem/tube height. Poor crown height on certain Rolex has always been my OCD and it is one of the easiest way to tell if a Rolex is a replica - this includes the much revered Noob V6s / V7 that runs on an 2836-2.

Here are some pictures of the Helenarou 5513 case compared to my superfranken TC V6 case (gen LEC crystal, gen 704 crown, and gen tritium bezel insert. Case modded and previously owned by @occb2). Notice how they both have excellent crown/stem/tube height:
tsfCCai.jpg

0coKwAc.jpg

7EukBnB.jpg

(next to a gen 16570 Explorer II, notice how gen crown/stem/height makes a Rolex more legit-looking)
FdV7RKU.jpg

.............. And compared to a cartel/JKF case with a lower crown height (because of the 2836-2 movement). The difference to me is night and day:
52f6d8ffbc907c8e0e84229dd9263ed2.jpg

Also, it is worth mentioning that the stock Helenarou 702 crown that came with the case looks extremely accurate to a gen 702 crown. The only difference between a stock Helenarou 702 crown and a gen one is the underside pattern of the crown - a gen 702 crown would have a beveled pattern because of how the crown was used to be made (picture below is the gen 702 crown). But nobody would ever notice this because the beveled pattern is on the underside of the crown:
ZW6zw.jpg

2picky

Certified
22/10/16
Incredible.. You have been paying so much attention to the details. The Helenarou case looks perfect to me. Lugs shape and crown guard looks identical to gen. Btw how to fix if I have wrong crown height?

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Incredible.. You have been paying so much attention to the details. The Helenarou case looks perfect to me. Lugs shape and crown guard looks identical to gen. Btw how to fix if I have wrong crown height?

Haha nah my attention to detail is terrible compared to others, but I only have a strong ocd for crown height (which isn't really noticeable by most people).

I guess plugging the stem hole and redrilling a higher hole for the stem is the only way to fix the stem height. But that would also mean you would have to buy a new movement (2824-2 usually) and redrilling would run the risk of making your watch non-waterproof.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong

I SERIOUSLY hope that whoever buys that, they won't chop the dial feet off and shove it into a cartel case with an ETA movement. That dial is WAY TOO RARE AND PRETTY for such treatment :( The price is also very good as well - I think it wouldn't stay for too long should you decide to sell it on VRF.

If the budget was right to go all superfranken with a 1520 movement, then I would have strongly considered your dial. But unfortunately I am using an ETA movement and chopping off a genuine vintage Rolex's dial's feet will give me MANY sleepless night. In fact, I am still debating if I should chop the dial feet off my gen Rolex 5513 service dial just for the sake of this project... I even had bad dreams over this and I kid you not

freestone.chapel

Known Member
1/2/17
Congrats to that great project! And that you pay so much attention to details!
I would like to have so experience, too. I have parts for a 5513 here, too. But still learning and reading before I start. I have also a cartel case here - but know I am seriously thinking of a Helenarou-Set, too. I have to raise funds ...

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Congrats to that great project! And that you pay so much attention to details!
I would like to have so experience, too. I have parts for a 5513 here, too. But still learning and reading before I start. I have also a cartel case here - but know I am seriously thinking of a Helenarou-Set, too. I have to raise funds ...

Thanks! The Helenarou 5513 case isn't exactly perfect either but Cartel cases have a lot of metal for reshaping. Crown height issue doesn't bother everyone, it only bothers me and some modders here have managed to make the crown height problem less obvious by shaping the crownguards nicely. Check this thread out: https://forum.replica-watch.info/th...ase-set-with-the-correct-crown-height.367186/

I think cartel cases are extremely good value for practicing as well. Helenarou 5513 case set cost a lot more by comparison and I have seen extremely beautiful builds using the cartel cases too.

Here is the Helenarou 5513 case set (the bezel is not gen-spec or accurate to gen - from what I have read, you will also have to shell out additional money for clarks bezel and better crystal like clarks T19)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HR-5513-WAT...-Submariner-1520-1570-MOVEMENT-/222442128101?

freestone.chapel

Known Member
1/2/17
Thank you very much for the information! I will have a look at your links immediately. I have already a Clark bezel assembly and a Clark T19 here at home which I purchased from Lorologio. And a shaped Cartel case with fat gen springbars.
With this parts I am going to start. I will watch out for a good crown. The bezel needs a bit fading and I am not sure I I proceed with the Asian clone movement. It is a 2836 clone and has high-beat. Maybe I will look out for a ETA 2846.

Best regards!

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Thank you very much for the information! I will have a look at your links immediately. I have already a Clark bezel assembly and a Clark T19 here at home which I purchased from Lorologio. And a shaped Cartel case with fat gen springbars.
With this parts I am going to start. I will watch out for a good crown. The bezel needs a bit fading and I am not sure I I proceed with the Asian clone movement. It is a 2836 clone and has high-beat. Maybe I will look out for a ETA 2846.

Best regards!

you know what, I was also going to buy the T19 and bezel assembly from Lorologio's ad and I pm-ed the seller, but I was too late.. turns out you bought it quicker than me!

freestone.chapel

Known Member
1/2/17
Edit: bur I bought a further crystal from Sternkreuz (XS 305.451 Tropic 19) from eBay a couple of days ago for my other 5513 rep (Cartel with Asian 21J movement and reshaped case). The original crystal was very poor and the Sternkreuz changed the look completely. I am very satisfied with it.
... and a little shocked, how accurate the 21J low beating Asian movement runs in this watch.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Edit: bur I bought a further crystal from Sternkreuz (XS 305.451 Tropic 19) from eBay a couple of days ago for my other 5513 rep (Cartel with Asian 21J movement and reshaped case). The original crystal was very poor and the Sternkreuz changed the look completely. I am very satisfied with it.
... and a little shocked, how accurate the 21J low beating Asian movement runs in this watch.

Which crystal do you find is better - Clarks t19 or Sternreuz t19? I read that the Clarks T19 is good value for money, but it can crack easily during installation and it is prone to scratches more than a normal Rolex Service T19

freestone.chapel

Known Member
1/2/17
Oh, that is hard to say. The installation of the Sternkreuz was very easy and fitted perfectly on the cartel case of my 5513. It took me a few minutes to change it. And I am very satisfied with the look. I have a Clark plexy on my MBK 1680 and it looks very good, too. I would say they are on par with each other. As I have all watches only a short time I do not dare to say which one scratches easier.
But at the moment I would always buy the Sternkreuz again. And it was much easier to purchase here in Germany. But it costs around €20,- incl. shipping.

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Going to resume this project

My plastic crystal (with T19 service crystal profile) has arrived, along with my watchman bezel (which needs polishing by hand)

Still need some TC hands and a gen service bezel insert

As for the movement, I have decided to use an ETA 2782 movement instead. I will save my ETA 2824 for a potential 1680/1665 project in the future.

Here is a mockup up what it should look like with jubilee bracelet:
CeigG6fh.jpg

Gotta appreciate the lengths I have went to have correct crown/stem/tube height lol (at the expense of cost and sacrificing thicker lugs)
EiPHsVph.jpg