• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Possible Venmo/FB Marketplace Scam? My First Post.

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
That sucks. Hope your email and texts don't get spammed a ton with these scams. I too learned from reading the brig about getting an email that funds were received and I can't remember if I used the link to log in which I normally wouldn't do but it is possible that time. It was a legit email but it could not have been or clicking it could have contracted a virus.

I've never used FB marketplace and don't think I ever will. Always hear about lowballers, weirdos, now scams. I actually have been having good luck selling on ebay lately for gens. Yeah that extra 15% sucks but it's just a more streamlined process and I haven't been scammed yet. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Toolwatchtool

Toolwatchtool

Insert Witticism Here
Supporter
Certified
1/2/21
That sucks. Hope your email and texts don't get spammed a ton with these scams. I too learned from reading the brig about getting an email that funds were received and I can't remember if I used the link to log in which I normally wouldn't do but it is possible that time. It was a legit email but it could not have been or clicking it could have contracted a virus.

I've never used FB marketplace and don't think I ever will. Always hear about lowballers, weirdos, now scams. I actually have been having good luck selling on ebay lately for gens. Yeah that extra 15% sucks but it's just a more streamlined process and I haven't been scammed yet. Fingers crossed.
Hey Shinynewbling25!

Fortunately, it's a paid email account that I use for my business that has top-notch security and filtering. What is really odd is the email screenshot I posted above contained no links at all. The Zelle logo, as well as several headings such as "contact us" and "help" had nothing embedded and the email contained no clickable content. These scammers are getting too lazy and can't even be bothered by spoofing sites anymore!

I have zero experience with any social media. Never had it, never will. My wife has had some seemingly easy transactions unloading junk with value, mostly furniture, etc. She thought that I would have luck finding buyers for some of my watches. How wrong she was.

It's exactly like you mentioned...Facebook Marketplace is an endless parade of lowballing weirdos who are most likely scammers. Watches seem to bring these folks out of the woodwork. I haven't used eBay since the early 00's. I remember it was a bit of a hassle as well with regard to tire kickers asking a barrage of idiotic questions. I also had a few sales reversed clearly due to buyer's remorse and eBay/PayPal immediately refunded them without even contacting me. This occurred during the timeframe that eBay really began shifting its support and favor from the seller to the buyer.

The 15% is also a hit but I think it would be worth it if things have become easier and streamlined like you mentioned. I will have to give it a serious look soon. The watches keep accumulating but the space does not!