• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Pompompurin's] How to build a Rolex GMT MASTER II 16710 properly

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
pompompurin thanks for posting this! With this option it is absurd to spend almost double on a 16710.

Just to be clear, the crystal and crystal gasket of the 16570 will work with the 16710 bezel assembly? Only need to source the retaining ring, bezel, click spring, and insert?

If I do this I would get the black dial and not even bother sourcing a 16710 dial. If someone ever calls out the text on the dial, it would make for a great conversation starter. And it would make converting back super easy.

This is the other part you need. It's called a bezel tension ring
​​
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-Tensi...wAAOSwpppcPlxp

Last edited:

Gohsukeat

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
4/5/19
Hey guys, I've only recently caught the pepsi fever and after reading this post I felt a real need to complete this project. Got myself a nice gen V series black explorer 2 with 3186 movement yesterday. (Don't ask how much its really painful with the recent price surge). Also placed an order for a gen pepsi insert on chrono24 which is otw.

As mentioned above in this thread, the last parts I would need are the Bezel assembly which proves slightly trickier to source. As my research so far shows, I have a few options:

a) Look for a JF bezel assembly - as done by pompompurin .
Tried asking a few TDs they seem to mention that they no longer are able to source parts for this. Checked out the parts sections there was one a few days back but they disappear really quickly. Will post up a WTB post after this. Or maybe anyone knows anyone who has an extra bezel assembly lying around
b) Buy from Star Time - Seems like the best option. not sure worth it with the cost of membership though
c) Buy an ARF 16610 case - My research seems to indicate that an ARF 16610 bezel might fit a gen pepsi insert and gen case without mods. anyone can confirm this?
d) Buy the bezel from other supply sites i.e. Clarks etc?
e) Buy a gen bezel ring - seems to cost north of USD$600 just for the ring which is kinda insane

What would you experts do (best bezel assembly vs cost) would really appreciate the kind assistance I have been digging and am getting a bit confused. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

lamkinpark

Known Member
12/10/18
C) Not sure about the recent ARF bezel, but I can confirmed that the earlier JF bezel cannot fit gen insert and need to shave it to fit.

airking

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
26/5/09
Hey guys, I've only recently caught the pepsi fever and after reading this post I felt a real need to complete this project. Got myself a nice gen V series black explorer 2 with 3186 movement yesterday. (Don't ask how much its really painful with the recent price surge). Also placed an order for a gen pepsi insert on chrono24 which is otw.

As mentioned above in this thread, the last parts I would need are the Bezel assembly which proves slightly trickier to source. As my research so far shows, I have a few options:

a) Look for a JF bezel assembly - as done by pompompurin .
Tried asking a few TDs they seem to mention that they no longer are able to source parts for this. Checked out the parts sections there was one a few days back but they disappear really quickly. Will post up a WTB post after this. Or maybe anyone knows anyone who has an extra bezel assembly lying around
b) Buy from Star Time - Seems like the best option. not sure worth it with the cost of membership though
c) Buy an ARF 16610 case - My research seems to indicate that an ARF 16610 bezel might fit a gen pepsi insert and gen case without mods. anyone can confirm this?
d) Buy the bezel from other supply sites i.e. Clarks etc?
e) Buy a gen bezel ring - seems to cost north of USD$600 just for the ring which is kinda insane

What would you experts do (best bezel assembly vs cost) would really appreciate the kind assistance I have been digging and am getting a bit confused. Thanks in advance guys!

I have done this:

ZLUD2E.jpg

I purchased a gen retaining ring and bezel and aftermarket washer/spring.

I reverted my build back to an explorer 2 and have the parts in storage. If you are interested in purchasing them, shoot me a pm. If it works out, I can put up a reserved sale for you.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
WSO bezel fits the gen. I had to do a little sanding on the lower inside perimeter because the machining tolerances vary a bit on these. I have 3 of them with inserts permanently glued in because it's easier to change the whole bezel than the insert. And it prevents insert damage - the insert edge paint chips with repeated switching.

Gen 16710 with WSO bezel and insert. Gen 16710 case is identical to gen 16570

16013128872023.jpg

Reactions: MikeMeezy77

Gohsukeat

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
4/5/19
wow airking that looks really awesome I'm getting excited about the project. Unfortunately couldn't buy your entire set with 2 gen inserts as I've already ordered the gen bezel insert (stupid me). KJ2020 thats some solid advice and a sick looking watch have never handled inserts so I will just take your advice on not removing them after clicking in to the bezel rings. Still waiting for ARF 16610 prices if the TDs ever get back to me. Or most possibly just go ST if all fails!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
wow airking that looks really awesome I'm getting excited about the project. Unfortunately couldn't buy your entire set with 2 gen inserts as I've already ordered the gen bezel insert (stupid me). KJ2020 thats some solid advice and a sick looking watch have never handled inserts so I will just take your advice on not removing them after clicking in to the bezel rings. Still waiting for ARF 16610 prices if the TDs ever get back to me. Or most possibly just go ST if all fails!

One thing I forgot to mention about WSO bezels is inserts often won't just "click in" and stay. This was never a factor for me because I had intended to glue them all in from the beginning, that was the whole reason for buying three. YMMV depending on sample sizes of both bezel and your chosen insert.

Gohsukeat

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
4/5/19
Understood that makes the decision harder. Turns out Im not allowed to buy from ST without being a professional watchmaker. So might still need to buy that WSO bezel

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Understood that makes the decision harder. Turns out Im not allowed to buy from ST without being a professional watchmaker. So might still need to buy that WSO bezel

Another WSO bezel with glued insert on a rep 16570

15974309555701.jpg

Shany

24/6/19
Can someone tell me which part number I need ? I cant find any retaining ring, does this need a special one only for 16710 or can use one from other model ?

Gohsukeat

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
4/5/19
Shany here you go hope it helps. 319-16800 retaining ring, 317-16628 click spring, 316-16800 spring tensioner washer and of course the steel bezel and insert

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Can someone tell me which part number I need ? I cant find any retaining ring, does this need a special one only for 16710 or can use one from other model ?

If you are talking about one for a 5 digit GMT or Sub, the gen part is quite expensive if new. It is a completely different part and bezel assembly from the 6 digit model. Most 5 digit GMTs and Subs all used the same bezel parts except the click spring. 6 digit parts are different.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Rol...cAAOSwjDperBYt

Here's a couple used ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Rol....c100047.m2108

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Rol...4AAOSwvoBa0S69

WSO also has them, along with all other bezel assembly parts

http://www.ebaystores.com/WHOLESALEO...sid=268970040&

Last edited:
Reactions: Shany

Shany

24/6/19
If you are talking about one for a 5 digit GMT or Sub, the gen part is quite expensive if new. It is a completely different part and bezel assembly from the 6 digit model. Most 5 digit GMTs and Subs all used the same bezel parts except the click spring. 6 digit parts are different.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Rol...cAAOSwjDperBYt

Here's a couple used ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Rol....c100047.m2108

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Rol...4AAOSwvoBa0S69

WSO also has them, along with all other bezel assembly parts

http://www.ebaystores.com/WHOLESALEO...sid=268970040&

so iam understanding right ?

Retaining Ring, Another Ring, Bezel assembly are the same on 16710 and 16610 ?
just the insert and the clicksprint is different?

very helpful thank you and yes they are quiet expensive, but i want to convert my explorer to gmt :D

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
so iam understanding right ?

Retaining Ring, Another Ring, Bezel assembly are the same on 16710 and 16610 ?
just the insert and the clickspring is different?

very helpful thank you and yes they are quiet expensive, but i want to convert my explorer to gmt :D

Correct

Reactions: Shany