• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Pompompurin's] GMF Rolex 116400 Milgauss (VR3131 version) quick review + franken process

siebzehnkommadrei

Do not accept unsolicited offers
23/1/24
Hi guys,

I'm glad I found this thread. I am currently planing to (let someone) build a Milgauss Frankenstein as well. I managed to find a restored gen blue dial on ebay, as well as gen hands and a (non gen) green saphire crystal.

Now do I understand it correctly, that no matter if I chose BP or GM with either an A3131 or an VR3131 as a base, I will run into the problems described where the hands don't fit? I am not at all a watchmaker so please confirm ;-)

Someone suggested to me that I could also VR3130 movement and get rid of the date wheel. Does anybody know if that fixes the problem?

Also, are the cases of the BP and GM reps any different in dimensions and quality? Or doesn't it matter which one I'll get and it all depends on the movement?

Thanks in advance for any help =)

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
31/5/18
The only milgauss I’ve seen that will not have this issue is ARF, but instead the gen dial won’t fit it. I have both a BP and the new GMF milgauss, both frankened in some way. The GMF feels and seems bigger but the BP is a dlc pro hunter which gives it a smaller appearance so maybe it’s in my head. To purchase a new Milhgauss your options are pretty limited at this point, so get what you can. Just so you are aware, I tried for years to get a watchmaker to build one of these, nobody would go near it or give me any information so I would plan on having those gen parts for quite a while. If you’ve got somebody you’re a lucky dog!

aaaa89

Known Member
Patron
Certified
4/2/21
not sure- best to ask the TDs what they are currently putting in these. I would have to look but I think I have a GMF with a 2824.
they are putting vr3131, but no idea about what I can do for a plug n play frankening..

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Vr3131 blew up first day, had to replace hands with BP because the lume fell off. Dial drops in, hands are what this whole thread is talking about.
KDIn1i.jpeg

siebzehnkommadrei

Do not accept unsolicited offers
23/1/24
The only milgauss I’ve seen that will not have this issue is ARF, but instead the gen dial won’t fit it. I have both a BP and the new GMF milgauss, both frankened in some way. The GMF feels and seems bigger but the BP is a dlc pro hunter which gives it a smaller appearance so maybe it’s in my head. To purchase a new Milhgauss your options are pretty limited at this point, so get what you can. Just so you are aware, I tried for years to get a watchmaker to build one of these, nobody would go near it or give me any information so I would plan on having those gen parts for quite a while. If you’ve got somebody you’re a lucky dog!
Hi, thanks for the information. I found out the dial I bought was fake. Luckily I was able to return it. The person who sold it restored it thinking it was genuine.

Do you own a gen blue dial?

Also, check out Noleex_the_modder on Reddit. He has the skill to build those Frankens. I hired him for mine - well, I planned to. Now I have given up and will buy gen to be honest.

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Well that’s too bad but it happens. Hopefully the seller will help you out.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
As for the movement, I am currently figuring out which cannon pinion, hour wheel, and seconds wheel did the 3131 used. According to ebay/ google search, the 3131 movement used 3155 seconds wheel. I am therefore inclined to think that the 3131 also used 3155 hour wheel and cannon pinion.
Some updates. It turns out my research and experimentation was true. I can use 3155/3185 cannon pinion and seconds wheel (same part numbers) to fit gen milgauss hands. To save cost, I extracted the cannon pinion and seconds wheel from a donor VR3185 movement.

I still need to order a gen 3155 280 hour wheel before I can install all of the gen hands.

The stock VR3131 movement died on me.
I ended up building a custom movement to mimic a 3131 movement:
- SH3135 base movement (with all the date components removed)
- VR3185 cannon pinion (complete 270 + 335)
- VR3185 seconds wheel
- VR3185 automatic module
- Gen Rolex 3130 230 setting lever (to remove the phantom date position)
- Gen Rolex 3155 280 hour wheel (i still need to order this)

My converted movement (without the taller 3155 280 hour wheel. The current hour wheel is the stock 3135 280 hour wheel. Note the taller cannon pinion and seconds wheel, which are both from a VR3185 movement):

Test fitting the gen dial and converted movement with the anti-magnetic cage to see if the cannon pinion and seconds wheel are tall enough:

Test fitting the gen seconds hand to see if there is enough clearance for it to move beneath the gen crystal/gen gasket.

The next step is to order a gen 3155 280 hour wheel before i can fully assemble the watch.

@pompompurin glad you could finally get this going! Did you end up getting the newer 3131 clone and still had this problem?

I think the vr3131 movement is more or less the same as the vr3130. I think they both have the same cannon pinion and seconds/hour wheel height. In order to use gen milgauss hands, modding is needed to elevate the height of the cannon pinion and seconds/hour wheel.

Assuming the stock GMF vr3131 movement doesn't crap out, you can probably get away with just replacing the following parts so that you can use gen milgauss hands:
- VR3185 cannon pinion (complete 270 + 335)
- VR3185 seconds wheel
- Gen Rolex 3155 280 hour wheel

(as always ymmv. I have the best luck by modding the SH3135 instead).

GMF has antimagnetic cage?

Yes, it does like gen (but don't expect it to perform like a genuine milgauss' antimagnetic function)

Hi guys,

I'm glad I found this thread. I am currently planing to (let someone) build a Milgauss Frankenstein as well. I managed to find a restored gen blue dial on ebay, as well as gen hands and a (non gen) green saphire crystal.

Now do I understand it correctly, that no matter if I chose BP or GM with either an A3131 or an VR3131 as a base, I will run into the problems described where the hands don't fit? I am not at all a watchmaker so please confirm ;-)

Someone suggested to me that I could also VR3130 movement and get rid of the date wheel. Does anybody know if that fixes the problem?

Also, are the cases of the BP and GM reps any different in dimensions and quality? Or doesn't it matter which one I'll get and it all depends on the movement?

Thanks in advance for any help =)
I owned an old BP milgauss with sa3131. Same problem occurred to me where the cannon pinion and seconds/hour wheels are too short for gen milgauss hands.

The stock VR3130 have cannon pinion and seconds/hour wheels that are also too short,

I read that the BP milgauss is made with 316l steel (and comes with sa3131 movement, although BP might have upgraded it to vr3131 by now if it isn't discontinued), whereas the GMF milgauss is made with 904l steel.

they are putting vr3131, but no idea about what I can do for a plug n play frankening..

If you don't plan to franken the GMF milgauss with gen hands, then maybe everything else is plug-and-play. However, the stock GMF milgauss tube doesn't look the same as a gen 7320 tube, so i have no idea if the stock tube can take gen 724 crown.

Last edited:

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
31/5/18
you are the man! been waiting for someone to do this for years. I don’t have the confidence to mess with movements.

• Love
Reactions: pompompurin

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
I read that the BP milgauss is made with 316l steel (and comes with sa3131 movement, although BP might have upgraded it to vr3131 by now if it isn't discontinued), whereas the GMF milgauss is made with 904l steel.
I bought a BP Milgauss last year from a TD- it has a 2824/2836 movement ( as per request). Bought a GMF last year as well M2M thats the same.

At least I think that's what they are..

Sorry- only uncased pic I have- it's the BP. The GMF had the same movement but higher quality

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
which is the best? of these two
I think they are the same except for the different internal dimensions of the anti-magnetic cage to hold different movements. I think it is down to the advantage/disadvantage of the sa3131 vs 2824-2/2836-2

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
The gen 3155-280 hour wheel arrived today.

Although the pic is blurry, the 3155-280 hour wheel is much taller than the stock replica 3135-280 hour wheel.

Also notice that the 3155-280 hour wheel does not have a stepped base, unlike the 3135-280 hour wheel. Therefore, the VR3186 washer needs to be added in order to keep the 3155-280 hour wheel stable.

After the upgrades, the hour wheel, seconds wheel, and cannon pinion are all significantly taller and able to clear the dial.

Finally, the watch is assembled and running well.

However, I will need to source another crystal gasket that provides a tighter fit with the bezel.

Also, the GMF bezel is not gen-spec construction. The gen 116400 bezel is two-part: the bezel itself and a thinner fastening bezel ring (e.g., https://www.ebay.com/itm/225874813029), whereas the GMF bezel is simpler and made with just 1 part (the bezel itself) like a Datejust 41 bezel. Therefore, be wary that maybe not all gen-spec 116400 crystal gaskets can fit. I am going to try/buy various Datejust 41 crystal gaskets.

Here is the build spec, as of now:

- Gen dial
- Gen hands
- Gen crystal

- SH3135 movement
- VR3186 automatic module
- VR3186 cannon pinion
- VR3186 seconds wheel
- VR3186 friction spring (part 3185-5226 for the jumping hour wheel)
- Gen 3155 280 hour wheel
- Gen 3130 230 setting lever

- Gmf 116400 base watch

Last edited:

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
The watch is finally done, after 5 years since the first part I collected for this project (the hands). I can also finally tick my bucket list of Rolex to build/franken.

The 25 318c crystal gasket works after some shaving. I also sourced 25 315 gaskets to experiment and it does not fit the rehaut.

Last edited: