• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Pompompurin's] GMF Rolex 116400 Milgauss (VR3131 version) quick review + franken process

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I managed to get my hands on a Rolex 116400 Milgauss (from GMF Factory with VR3131 movement) to franken.

The ingredients:
- Base watch
- Gen dial
- Gen hands
- Gen crystal

Looks like a simple plug and play job? Nah, as I will mention below. Overall, I can see the usual half-ass / mid-tier effort from the BP/ GMF 116400.

I have a love-hate relationship with BP/ GMF. They tend to screw up the simplest things:
- Their Day-Date 40's fluted bezel angles still look bad for more than half a decade and remains to be corrected, despite day-date 40 is probably their best seller and other factories like ARF and VSF have much improved the fluted bezel angle
- Their Day-Date 40's day/ date font remains flawed for nearly half a decade
- Their latest version of the 16600 went 1 step backwards for no apparent reason: bezel wire assemble and stubby cg shape
- Their 16710 / 16610 are half-assed at best: larger rehaut diameter than gen spec (how can you screw that one up?) and they still use bezel wire assembly (non gen-spec bezel assemblies) which is a decade old technology. Their latest 16610 apparently uses a 116610 bezel assembly (yea, wtf?) to save cost by milling 116610 cases into 16610 cases
- Their 16570 polar has floating rehaut dashes. Instant tell.
- Their vintage Rolex line is poor and remains to be updated.

But I also love them because they make obscure models that no other factories would currently touch:
- e.g., 16570, 16710, 16600, 116400, ap 3800 (discontinued?), 116238 (discontinued), and 126303 (smooth bezel two-tone datejust 41... Not even clean, vsf, etc makes this one)

And they offer mid-tier prices, if affordability is a concern.

However, the GMF 116400 cost 438 usd, so that's nearly clean factory's datejust 41 pricing territory (https://trustytime888.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_237&products_id=26842)

Pros
- No other factories currently makes a Milgauss with a clone 3131 movement. Noob/JF/ARF discontinued their Milgauss, while GSF seem to have vanished (and they have outrageously poor SEL)
- Looks decent right out of the box (and if you don't plan to franken it).

Cons
- The orange lume parts on the dial do not glow. I believe it should glow on the gen,
- The crystal simply has green AR with a green gasket, when other factories like DJF are selling green sapphire crystals. The green AR/ green gasket trick is so outdated and dates back to a decade ago.
- The VR3131 movement has the same hour wheel, seconds wheel, and cannon pinion height as a VR3130. Therefore, gen hands cannot be used. Instead of BP/ GMF using proper parts, they countered this problem by simply offering hands will taller posts. This flaw has been here since more than half a decade ago when i first ordered a BP milgauss with SA3131 movement.

Solution
Considering the above flaws, I will be changing the dial, hands, and crystal to gen anyways, so these aspects are solved.

As for the movement, I am currently figuring out which cannon pinion, hour wheel, and seconds wheel did the 3131 used. According to ebay/ google search, the 3131 movement used 3155 seconds wheel. I am therefore inclined to think that the 3131 also used 3155 hour wheel and cannon pinion.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can confirm the 3131 parts number for seconds wheel, hour wheel, and cannon pinion.

More pictures below:

The watch disassembled

The stock hands have taller posts (lazy solution from BP/ GMF):

Gen dial installed. The hour wheel, cannon pinion, and seconds wheel are all too short to clear the height of the antimagnetic cage with the gen dial on

Last edited:

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Also, it is worth noting that if the 3131 movement uses 3155 seconds wheel and minute/cannon pinion, then you can simply swap these parts out of a vr3186 because both movements share these parts (according to Rolex service manuals). The remaining 3155 hour wheel will need sourcing (3155 280).

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I believe you are on the right track with the 3131 using the same parts as the 3155.

This parts site lists the second wheel for 3131 as 3155 360.

I think the minute pinions are the same (3135 335) but the canon pinion would be 3155 270. It would have to be taller than the 3135 270.

Then as you noted the hour wheel 3155 280.

Last edited:

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Finally all the answers I’ve been looking for for years. I ended up shaving down that inner case to get my gen hands to fit my BP. I’ve also been told that if you get those pinions the hands will touch the crystal. Hats off to you for going for it man!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I’ve also been told that if you get those pinions the hands will touch the crystal.
Yikes, might have to shave those pinions and/or hand hole collars down a tad. It will be interesting to follow this.

Reactions: kidcreole

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
I believe you are on the right track with the 3131 using the same parts as the 3155.

This parts site lists the second wheel for 3131 as 3155 360.

I think the minute pinions are the same (3135 335) but the canon pinion would be 3155 270. It would have to be taller than the 3135 270.

Then as you noted the hour wheel 3155 280.
Thanks for confirming. I will move the seconds hand into the vr3131 movement and then install the gen seconds hand to see if it hits the crystal! If the gen seconds hand hits the crystal, then it's back to the drawing board haha

Last edited:

pompompurin

Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
Finally all the answers I’ve been looking for for years. I ended up shaving down that inner case to get my gen hands to fit my BP. I’ve also been told that if you get those pinions the hands will touch the crystal. Hats off to you for going for it man!
Congratulations for getting the gen hands to fit!!

But if you shaved down the antimagnetic cage to make the gen dial sit lower, did you shave the dial feet/ cut the dial feet too? This is because the 116400 dial (gen and rep) has longer dial feet to accommodate a thick antimagnetic cage sandwiched in between the dial and the movement

Reactions: daytonadude

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for confirming. I will move the seconds hand into the vr3131 movement and then install the gen seconds hand to see if it hits the crystal! If the gen seconds hand hits the crystal, then it's back to the drawing board haha
I have shaved both second wheel pinions and multiple hand hole collars, though never had to do it on gen parts. You are a hands wizard but gen hands often don't give you room for much hole collar removal. If the second hand catches the crystal it shouldn't take more than 0.2 or 0.3mm off the second wheel pinion. Then ofc the hope is it doesn't snowball down to the minute hand.

You might find something in this post useful.

Second hand catching on crystal

Last edited:

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Congratulations for getting the gen hands to fit!!

But if you shaved down the antimagnetic cage to make the gen dial sit lower, did you shave the dial feet/ cut the dial feet too? This is because the 116400 dial (gen and rep) has longer dial feet to accommodate a thick antimagnetic cage sandwiched in between the dial and the movement
Yes I unfortunately had to trim the feet and also come up with a gasket to push the whole unit down so the back half of the case would tighten it flush.

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Just to be clear. I was “told” it would contact, I really don’t know if it will. I’m really hoping it wouldn’t. I could never get an answer of what part numbers I would need for the wheels etc so I just shaved the cage. Not a watchmaker by any means, you guys are the experts.

HootschiGootschi

„105 OR 1=1“
Patron
Certified
6/2/19
HG in da house
It might be possible to use second wheel & minute canon from vr3186 as these are slightly longer.
(these should work)
No idea now for hour wheel. Maybe 3055 as you mentioned

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Gold Patron
Certified
31/5/18
hey sorry not trying to hijack your thread but, I swapped my new Milgauss guts into my current (vr3130 gen dial hands, and crystal) and thought I would note that the stem would not fit the movement. Had to swap crowns. I would think that because they are both VR movements it would be the same??

aaaa89

Known Member
Patron
Certified
4/2/21
I managed to get my hands on a Rolex 116400 Milgauss (from GMF Factory with VR3131 movement) to franken.

The ingredients:
- Base watch
- Gen dial
- Gen hands
- Gen crystal

Looks like a simple plug and play job? Nah, as I will mention below. Overall, I can see the usual half-ass / mid-tier effort from the BP/ GMF 116400.

I have a love-hate relationship with BP/ GMF. They tend to screw up the simplest things:
- Their Day-Date 40's fluted bezel angles still look bad for more than half a decade and remains to be corrected, despite day-date 40 is probably their best seller and other factories like ARF and VSF have much improved the fluted bezel angle
- Their Day-Date 40's day/ date font remains flawed for nearly half a decade
- Their latest version of the 16600 went 1 step backwards for no apparent reason: bezel wire assemble and stubby cg shape
- Their 16710 / 16610 are half-assed at best: larger rehaut diameter than gen spec (how can you screw that one up?) and they still use bezel wire assembly (non gen-spec bezel assemblies) which is a decade old technology. Their latest 16610 apparently uses a 116610 bezel assembly (yea, wtf?) to save cost by milling 116610 cases into 16610 cases
- Their 16570 polar has floating rehaut dashes. Instant tell.
- Their vintage Rolex line is poor and remains to be updated.

But I also love them because they make obscure models that no other factories would currently touch:
- e.g., 16570, 16710, 16600, 116400, ap 3800 (discontinued?), 116238 (discontinued), and 126303 (smooth bezel two-tone datejust 41... Not even clean, vsf, etc makes this one)

And they offer mid-tier prices, if affordability is a concern.

However, the GMF 116400 cost 438 usd, so that's nearly clean factory's datejust 41 pricing territory (https://trustytime888.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_237&products_id=26842)

Pros
- No other factories currently makes a Milgauss with a clone 3131 movement. Noob/JF/ARF discontinued their Milgauss, while GSF seem to have vanished (and they have outrageously poor SEL)
- Looks decent right out of the box (and if you don't plan to franken it).

Cons
- Lume colour is wrong (for my order at least, the hands have chromalight lume when it should be superluminova. The orange lume parts on the dial do not glow. In the aforesaid trusty's links, the whole dial has chormalight lume colour which I believe is also wrong)
- The crystal simply has green AR with a green gasket, when other factories like DJF are selling green sapphire crystals. The green AR/ green gasket trick is so outdated and dates back to a decade ago.
- The VR3131 movement has the same hour wheel, seconds wheel, and cannon pinion height as a VR3130. Therefore, gen hands cannot be used. Instead of BP/ GMF using proper parts, they countered this problem by simply offering hands will taller posts. This flaw has been here since more than half a decade ago when i first ordered a BP milgauss with SA3131 movement.

Solution
Considering the above flaws, I will be changing the dial, hands, and crystal to gen anyways, so these aspects are solved.

As for the movement, I am currently figuring out which cannon pinion, hour wheel, and seconds wheel did the 3131 used. According to ebay/ google search, the 3131 movement used 3155 seconds wheel. I am therefore inclined to think that the 3131 also used 3155 hour wheel and cannon pinion.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can confirm the 3131 parts number for seconds wheel, hour wheel, and cannon pinion.

More pictures below:

The watch disassembled

The stock hands have taller posts (lazy solution from BP/ GMF):

Gen dial installed. The hour wheel, cannon pinion, and seconds wheel are all too short to clear the height of the antimagnetic cage with the gen dial on

where you find antimagnetic cage? I am goung to buy a gmf and want to franken it too

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
not sure- best to ask the TDs what they are currently putting in these. I would have to look but I think I have a GMF with a 2824.